Cam Chain life span?

whiteknuckles

• Member Contributer

My '02 has 51k miles.  Recently rebuilt (twice) then replaced the front cam chain tensioner for what I thought was a loose cam chain.  I still hear chain noise.  I rebuilt the rear tensioner at the same time as the first go round up front and have no issues.  I recently had the valves inspected (no adjustments need, all in spec!) and was wondering if checking the chain tension would be part of that maintenance.  How many miles do most people put on their bikes before (if ever) the cam chain stretches to the point of replacement/failure.  From what I've read about the VFR, it seems rare to have a stretched out chain.

• Member Contributer

ACCTs last 40k miles or so. The chain is lifetime.

Rebuilding ACCTS does not work long term, and should never be used to get out of replacing the tensioner.

Also, sometimes the clutch basket starts to make a little noise and it sounds like a tensioner/cam chain. Worth double checking it's not just that.

• Member Contributer

Agree with thtanner. Will just add that timing chain clatter is very distinctive, warm engine on idle you'll get the clatter creep in then dissapperas as you rev it. You will generally hear the clatter coming from the upper cylinder head area and not too difficult to establish wether it's the front or rear cylinder bank.

Just replace the offending CCT with a new OEM. It's mostly a loss of spring tension that creates the issue. As for the manual version, personally, I won't have a bar of them, it's a fine line between under and over tension of the chain, the manual versions will not take up the slack caused by slight chain stretch or chain guide/tensioner wear.

• 4 months later...

Any more info on this noise ?

I replaced both cct recently the bad clattering noise went away but started again on cold starts not as badly but can still hear it  

I get what sounds like chain clatter from the engine intermitintly.

As the engine warms it goes away 

Archived