What type of riding do you use your VFR for?

VFR80025th

• Member Contributer
On 9/20/2018 at 7:42 PM, Calculon said:

There is the Yamaha FJ09 and now called the Tracer. 

Agree - when you throw ADV riding into the mix, the bike that tops the list there is the Triumph Tiger 800 - about as fast as the VFR (in the right hands), and opens up all the unimproved roads the VFR can't go on. I have a brother in Wichita that got a VStrom for that reason - had ridden all the straight roads he could on his Valkyrie, and thought, as he rode past all the jeep trails outside of town - I need a bike that'll take me down THOSE roads! VStrom did the trick, and we even did a trip to the Dragon - me on my VFR, him on his VStrom, and both had a blast...

• Member Contributer

Nothing wrong with the VStrom. I still think Honda dropped the ball not releasing the VFR800X over here. Then again, I already converted my VFR to conventional bars, so I suppose I could just buy a second set of wheels and the right tires and be happy...

• Member Contributer

Recreational mountain twisty riding only.  I never ride in any city's limits that I can avoid.  I can ride back county roads in the 325 miles to W. NC mountains with only 4 miles of interstate and only through tiny towns.  I won't ride near cages, thus only remote county road riding.  The mountains start at the bottom of my driveway.    

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:30 PM, Urbanengineer said:

True but they are slow unlike the VFR. I really wish we got a Versys or Vstrom 800 2 or 3 cyl that would be ideal. 

Ah well...."slow" compared to a VFR800 yes.  There is of course the VStrom 1000 if you're power hungry.  

I actually recently test rode the VStrom 650.  It actually felt a lot like the VFR800.  Similar midrange power.  Similar low end too.  I didn't fully test its top end power though, and I'm quite sure it won't keep up with the VFR800.  However, the VStrom 650 weighs a lot less than my 6th Gen VFR at 475 lbs. wet. And that's probably why it felt like it had similar power at low and midrange.  I also think the "lower" weight compared to the bigger adventure bikes is an advantage when off pavement.  I wouldn't take the VStrom in anything more than a smooth fire road though.  It only has 7" of wheel travel and not that much ground clearance.  Still, it will go places the VFR won't dare!   

• Member Contributer

If dry and between 60-90F, commute 10miles in a downtown environment, with a laptop in my tank bag. Take a mountain twisties detour home, and on weekends.

20% Touring, 80 Commuting, dodging bullets in really tight streets, so filtering is a pain. 
I was also wondering if I'm on the overkill side using Honda's 90's Technical marvel and sportouring flagship to just go to work. YES it's quite impressive to ride into garage at work with its baritone warble. Yes I got a coveted spot indoors at work beacause "this is a collectable, don't let it sit out in the rain", <that's my excuse and it worked. 
Hot? Ohyah, so I installed a manual switch to get the fan on whenever needed.

So, yeah, maybe overkill? Would you do differently? Can't see myself riding a 250cc anything. But maybe an electric one day.
Have a picture, it's raining out now.

Also, these lady cops kinda keep things cool in some areas lol. 

vfr home125.jpg

cops00030.jpg

• Member Contributer

I can't let it sit outside, it's a collector's item! - Awesome! :wink:

I will say, the lack of a safe parking area is a factor in my aversion to commuting.

• Member Contributer

I've owned five fifth gens. Two KIA by hooved forest rats. A 2000 bought as a backup and sold the next year in favor of a low-mileage 2001. One I rode off the road in AR (Advanced Riding Courses at local track ID'd and corrected riding errors) and my current rider, another '01. I've used them for everyday transportation (groceries, brew), local fun riding, annual track ARCs, sport riding and long-distance touring (just came back from 2+ weeks out to the left coast and back.) ~3500 mi.

I'm retired so I ride 8,000 to 15,000 miles/year.

Best all-around mc on the planet for me.

Accept Nothing Less.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I realize that the last post was a while ago, but I'd like to talk about how I use my 6th gen.  During my riding season from April through October, I'll commute a few days a week, go on rides with friends on the weekends, usually less than 200 miles. I try to have at least one touring trip per year of at least 1500 miles.  Over the past 9 riding seasons, that's worked out to about 40,000 miles of riding. I've been to 12 states in the mid-section of the USA with North Dakota and Minnesota on the North, Oklahoma, and Arkansas on the South, Michigan on the East, and Wyoming and Colorado on the West.

Archived