Yes I'm doing fork service myself. Yes I got stuck, help separating them?

Hello, I rather think I'm not the only one who's had this problem. I need to replace leaking fork seals, got this far (pic), and can't separate the fork tubes. I saw several how-to videos, one linked here, (minute 7.10)   And either I'm not pulling hard enough, or doing something wrong. 

I'm planning on bringing them to a shop, but wanted to ask here, should I just put them on a press and pull harder? what's going on...

#2 and most importantly, can I just pull out the seal, put a new one, refill the oil, replace the washer+bolt and be done with it?

I'd like this last option best if it works... please any help appreciated. 

forks .png

It does take a bit of effort. I assume you have the allen blot from the bottom of the slider removed first because they aren't going anywhere if it's still in place. Having done that (and they tend to be a pain because they rotate on themselves), make sure the oil is drained.

Then it is just like in the video. Repeatedly push and pull the leg into the slider making sure you go as far out as you can. You'll feel resistance and that will be the bushes inside banging on a lip inside. Be patient and just keep going and don't be shy. Show it who's boss!

If you've got this far then keep going. The bushes will probably need replacing anyway

Eventually after some gnashing of teeth it will all of a sudden release itself. Patience and persistence.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, squirrelman said:

Dija loosen the fork caps while they were still on the bike ?  u shoulda cuz you're gonna be replacing fork oil.

Easy enough to slide them back into the clamps (even just the lower) to get loose.

1 hour ago, squirrelman said:

Dija loosen the fork caps while they were still on the bike ?  u shoulda cuz you're gonna be replacing fork oil.

No, yeah thought it'd make a world easier if I loosened the allen bolt while the leg's still on the clamps. Next time!. (took a bit of force and for the leg to be affixed to something, I obv don't have a table clamp... so I improvised; Stuck the leg thru a car rim's space (square), this is a heavy object which provides enough leverage). Don't gimme that look, this is what I bring to the forum!

Yeah, the oil will be changed. I'll look up the proper amount. 

Yeah, the bottom bolts were off when I posted this. I'll look for the metallic washer replacements, as per the manual. 

AND NOW THEY'RE OFF. I brought them to a shop, clamped, and a Man pulled them off.  (Hey I AM over 50 and do have a muscular disease, but will never not try). 

Got a quote for the seals from Honda, too expensive, equivalent a day's pay, I'll look for OEM at the diesel truck shops. 

One last doubt is; The video shows how he polished the legs to eliminate the pits and scratches, I don't think I'll find steel wool, maybe using finest grain sandpaper will be ok? The kind used to clean blurry headlights. 

Thanks all! 

6 hours ago, M1962 said:

Then it is just like in the video. Repeatedly push and pull the leg into the slider making sure you go as far out as you can. You'll feel resistance and that will be the bushes inside banging on a lip inside. Be patient and just keep going and don't be shy. Show it who's boss!

Bushes... once I replace them, will the tube just slide in? The video doesn't show what happens then. Will there be resistance going in? 

Thanks! 

• Member Contributer

When polishing the stanchions donot rub lengthwise but sideways.

U can inspect the bushes for wear and decide if you want/need to replace. New ones will not hinder reinstalling.

• Member Contributer

Did mine recently and with one fork had to put it back on the triple clamps and used the axle spindle with a 8lb hammer to get the bottom off.

the top bush was stuck and the lower had slipped in with it binding it up, top bush had to be replaced as half the PTFE had been ripped off.

• Member Contributer

Bushes are easy enough to replace just don't knock the top ones down too far if using a seal driver, it can cause them to bind on the stanchion a bit.

18 hours ago, Dutchy said:

When polishing the stanchions donot rub lengthwise but sideways.

U can inspect the bushes for wear and decide if you want/need to replace. New ones will not hinder reinstalling.

I believe the bushes are fine. The material looks intact, probably had that service done prior to my buying it. Got new seals, so with new oil (10w??), should be done this weekend.  I did a mock finish to see how everything goes and what each piece does, didn't like just to push things just because the video says-so.
Thanks everyone!

20180913_211009.jpg

20180912_212919.jpg

Archived