Surging at 3,500rpm

DanV

• Member Contributer

It is a wee bit low, but it's not grounding out so that's good. 

I bet an updated regulator (SH847) would up your charging a bit. That being said, I don't think charging is the source of your woes.

Could just be fuel delivery. Someone had a fuel filter cause similar symptoms.

• Member Contributer
On 12 September 2018 at 1:27 PM, DanV said:

I have a recent development at low end rpm which occoured on the way to work today. I'm very familiar with the normal low end bog/slog on these v4s and this is different. Half way into my ride things changed, now when taking off until 3,500 it feels like I'm running on 2 cylinders and the sound is very similar to a 4 stroke dirt bike and different from the normal tone. Then at around 3,500 there is a significant surge of power and she runs and sounds like normal (with a second expected surge at 5500 as everything opens up)

Issue occours in first and second  gear and, while not as severe, can still be heard when in neutral and rolling on throttle

When at low rev the ride roughs up some, with pulsing inconsistent "power" but then 3500-4000 hits and it's back at full strength like nothing is wrong. Definitely not following the normal power band I'm used to with this bike.

Hi Dan.

Apart from dirty injectors, I'd have a look at your starter valve synch, make sure that's right then perhaps your MAP sensor may be an issue. The MAP sensor is used for fuelling calculations for mid throttle then the TPS is used for wide open throttle.

Good luck.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, DanV said:

Thanks guys. Any way to check map sensor?

Time to break down and head the the shop?

Hi Dan.

Do you have the Service Manual? If not you can Download it from the VFRD Home page, just scroll down and you will see the service manual downloads. Section 5 is all about the EFI and sensors, also have a good read of the Technical Features section 21.

Thanks everyone, I'm going to dig in over the next few weeks but will respond as I cross things off the list

-plugs

-fuel filter

-injectors 

-gas

-rr

Possibly stator but doubtful

Then I will likely be back here asking for more help...

Don't know what did it but after all of that she seems to be back on track for the time being

After looking at the plugs, I think they had the biggest impact

Didn't make it to the RR, but will order if the problem comes back

New item, where can I find replacement threaded rubber grommets?

Archived