PCV and ZBomb and De-Cat? Or just have Guhl tune it?

supervetteracer

Just bought a 2012 VFR1200F.  It has an aftermarket pipe installed that was bought from motorcycle superstore but it has no brand name on it.  It appears that there is a hole where perhaps a baffle used to be mounted.

Really like this bike but it is down on power.  I need something that will pull the front wheel in 1st and 2nd on demand.

I bought the Power Commander V for this bike and I have yet to install the thing.  (Still figuring out how to remove the fuel tank without damaging these nice looking panels)

Now that I have found this forum I know that this bike is limited in 1st and 2nd gear.    This does not work for me.  

Looking at modifications I see that many people are using http://www.guhlmotors.com/ to set a tune for their bikes.  My question is, Should I buy the Zbomb (supposedly eliminates the deficiencies in 1st and 2nd) and install this with my PC5?  Or would I be better of selling my PC5 and having these guys tune my ecm?

Also how important is it to decat this bike?  Is there welding involved? Can i just buy an exhaust system that already has it removed?

I'm trying to save a bit on money and still have a fast bike.  Looking for advise.

Look here or u-tube for fairing removal.  It’s a bit tricky if you don’t know how the invisible clips work.  

I have a 2012 and was interested in the Guhl reflash till I flipped the throttle half open and nearly fell off.  Yeah, I’m old and weak.  I believe the traction control will cut the power if the front wheel comes off the ground.

Hope you enjoy your 1200 as much as I have.  Welcome.

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the quick reply. 🙂  Seemed like I have searched hi and low but perhaps I am using the wrong keywords.  Do you have a link to a video that shows how to remove the fuel tank?

I'm 51 and still kicking. lol  My last bike was a Ninja 1000 and had a ZX14 before that.  I feel the need for more power and I want to know the best (and most cost effective) way of getting said power.  A bunch of us get togetehr and race on weekend nights in this one area and I need to bring some heat. 🙂

Just now, DriverDave said:

So did you find a good technique to remove those tank covers? I had found a good video for the main fairing removal. 

I just winged it.  I was concerned about a few bolts being tough to get to but then I looked at it from another point of view and figured things out.  It's not a tough job to do.

Archived