• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, JZH said:

(and it was very expensive!)

*THIS*.................... the spanner in the works....

Gebruiker is fully integrated in the Dutch frugal society :goofy:

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
On 1/16/2020 at 6:29 PM, JZH said:

I used to have a black plastic hugger made by Pyramid Plastics on my '93 FP, but I don't know what happened to it.

You don't know what happened to it? That's disconcerting... 😉 

Good picture of a similar hugger though. Thanks! I checked the Harris and Durbahn and Pyramid Plastics websites. Harris and Durbahn don’t seem to have anything so interesting for me these days. Pyramid still sells huggers for the 750s. https://pyramid-plastics.co.uk/ They appear to be about like the ones I'd found over here in the USA for about the same price.

Anyway, since you don’t know what happened to your own FP hugger, I’m guessing it may not have been a complete success. I have this idea that any not perfectly rigid mount could allow the hugger to flex at speed into the spinning tire which, you know, would be bad.

There are a few possibilities on Amazon. Not just the Puigs for $25. This one for a BMW caught my eye. $35.

581646993_Screenshot(69).thumb.png.9399273684fb0565ae47208ae50623a2.png

It looks like the attachment frame is aluminum. I like that. Strong enough to hold the hugger in place without flexing or cracking. The mounting holes would not be in the right place for a VFR. I’d have to fashion a secondary aluminum adapter of some kind to mate with the swing arm.

The thing about any of these possibilities is I have to actually buy the hugger first, then try to adapt it. (re. comment by Dutchy, above) And I'm still smarting about that generic, and currently useless, switch pod set. 😉 I’ll keep thinking on it...

BTW, in your picture there’s a cool aluminum rod attached to the swing arm. Is that your own external reinforcement for the hugger mount? Brake rod? Something else? Also, tucked up under the rear fender you have some golden...things. Left and right. I don't have anything similarly tucked in there on my bike. Is that something I should be worried about?

• Member Contributer

The arm is a "torque recation arm". 

The golden bits are the rear shock's (external) gas reservoir and the preload adjustor knobbie 🙂

• Member Contributer
On 1/18/2020 at 3:53 AM, Dutchy said:

The arm is a "torque recation arm". 

The golden bits are the rear shock's (external) gas reservoir and the preload adjustor knobbie 🙂

I had to look those up. High tech performance upgrades of dubious value. (...translation: still more stuff I can't afford...)

With all the cool modifications out there, I sometimes feel like I must be missing out. And yet, my bike hasn't let me down yet. It runs and stops and handles fine. One of these days I'll have to get a discerning VFR rider to take the thing around the block to see if there are any issues I'm completely oblivious to. 

I feel the same when I order a bottle of wine. If it doesn't make me cough, I figure it's good enough... I should take some classes. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

The horizontal brake torque arm is an OEM part from an RC30, but it was of somewhat dubious practical value even then, as the people who raced those bikes would almost invariably bin them.  But, the bling value is unquestionable!

If I knew what I'd done with that old hugger I'd give it to you, but I just haven't seen it in years--sorry!

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, JZH said:

If I knew what I'd done with that old hugger I'd give it to you, but I just haven't seen it in years--sorry!

Aaaah yes,  like me, you put stuff in a "very special place so I know where I put it".....

Still searching for my spare RC51 keys....  And I have called on Saint Anthony already..... :ph34r:

• Member Contributer
On 2/8/2020 at 7:21 AM, JZH said:

The horizontal brake torque arm is an OEM part from an RC30, but it was of somewhat dubious practical value even then, as the people who raced those bikes would almost invariably bin them.  But, the bling value is unquestionable!

So, what you're saying is there are thousands of extra brake torque arms just laying around garages the world over, ready for the taking? Hmmmmm. I wonder if one would bolt onto my standard gen3 swingarm? 🙂 

No worries on the hugger. But thanks for your good intentions! You can tell I'm making progress on the bike because my upgrades are getting more particular. And unnecessary. One of the guys here (BrianF) is selling off his neon yellow wheels with new tires. Wow. Those would brighten things up. But I just don't need them. Too bad my current tires are in fine condition just now...or I might be able to justify the expense. Nonono...  😉

IMG_0832z.jpg.0fb667330ef903523749b012b346944e.jpg

(BrianF wheels and tires, today for sale in Classifieds)

• Member Contributer

The rear would fit, but the front would not.  Unless you did a triple clamp swap...

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

15 minutes ago, JZH said:

The rear would fit, but the front would not.  Unless you did a triple clamp swap...

Yeah. That ain't gonna happen. Thanks. A good reason not to fret about the opportunity. 

Meanwhile, how about this thing? 🙂 For the swing arm bling...it wouldn't have to actually function.

gallery_362_402_52929.jpg.1a51a0faedde2686aa83c57fb79dc961.jpg

(JZH file image)

• Member Contributer

You'd have to drill some holes in your swing arm and weld in some bosses to accept the cross-over shaft.  Other than that, no problem!

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, JZH said:

You'd have to drill some holes in your swing arm and weld in some bosses to accept the cross-over shaft.  Other than that, no problem!

I'm there! You can imagine how eager I'd be to drill random holes in my swingarm...  :))  Couldn't I just use zip ties? 

• Member Contributer

Sidestand Cover

I hadn't given a sidestand cover much thought until Auspanglish got me thinking on them last week. 

My bike sure didn't come with one of these and I'm not even sure what its purpose is. Is my kickstand so ugly it needs to be hidden? I'm guessing this cover is the first thing to break off any VFR. What was Honda thinking using ABS down there on the side stand? I've yet to actually even see one in the real world. 

Just the same when JZH and VFRCapn and others were good enough to upload a couple photographs, I was able to make up a crude facsimile...using my own homemade CAD(!) ... cardboard aided design. 🙂

IMG_3870.jpg.e3358e40ffabd9494c92d9ad0ad6a8f7.jpg

The sidestand has two boltholes to attach the cover from the rear into ABS bosses...

IMG_3872a.png.a8c79cf1a506d47989f584162d8666d8.png

But plastic bosses are hard things to make even for Honda! (...they seem to be the bits that break off...) so I just used a couple thru bolts from the front side. I'll clean them up if I make a workable piece.

IMG_3875.jpg.08ee6a436446917b8bc6ddd22f364def.jpg

I can't match the elegant lines of the originals but it is sortof okay. Is this what it's supposed to look like? The rest of the bike is so grotty down there it seems a waste to bother with it, but now it's in my head... I'd guess that 90% of the gen3 bikes I see in photographs are missing the sidestand cover.

IMG_3879.jpg.64f57ec8b925331afc9d75be71c3b657.jpg

My current idea would be to cut a 10 inch corner bit of PVC fence post, maybe. I'm thinking that would be sturdy enough stuff to hold up to a certain amount of abuse. It only comes in white, so if it works then owners of white VFRs will have an easy time of it. I'd have to paint. Always one more thing... I wonder if I can find a bit of black PVC fencing...

• Member Contributer

Sidestand Cover, continued

RC1237V added more pictures with additional dimensions at the site linked above. It's giving me more to consider. The angle between the two faces is greater than the 90 degrees I'd assumed it to be. And there's that dimple around the main kickstand swing bolt. I'm not sure there's much I can do about either of those things. If I find a happy scrap of material looking for repurposing I won't sweat the details. A friend has suggested a possible donor source would be a bit of plastic car bumper from the junkyard. Indeed. The material would be sturdy. A handy shape might be found. And they even come in colors. I'm not sure if they make bumpers from PVC or polypropylene. They're probably not ABS.

Here's a picture from RC1237V. 

sidestandx.jpg.dc4af500c815d8336609e373ef1c4350.jpg

I was thinking of accommodating the spacing and structure of the bosses with just a couple of rubber stoppers. They'd be sturdy enough, and flexible to absorb some shocks. I'd still thru-bolt from the face of the cover. For the moment though I'm stuck until I stumble onto something handy that wants to be the actual cover... I'm on it.

IMG_3905.jpg.b41a33055c75f7a8a23dda2f2c88fb45.jpg

(rubber stopper thru bolted from front. It'll serve as a spacer boss. I'd need a second one for the other bolt, obviously)

• Member Contributer

ABS sheet in various thickness is available from eBay and is easily moulded with heat .... ABS pipe cement is dirt cheap or Model X Pro if you want a quick set

Acetone will soften it and you can make a dimple impression or mould it in with ABS sludge ..... I’ve been rebuilding my RC24 fairing panels and it’s surprising what can be done with ABS 

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, Thumbs said:

ABS sheet in various thickness is available from eBay and is easily moulded with heat .... ABS pipe cement is dirt cheap or Model X Pro if you want a quick set

Acetone will soften it and you can make a dimple impression or mould it in with ABS sludge ..... I’ve been rebuilding my RC24 fairing panels and it’s surprising what can be done with ABS 

Yes! ABS repairs have worked pretty good for me so far. The sludge forgiving and adaptable. But fashioning a complete piece in ABS is an extra challenge. The original sidestand cover is ABS and it breaks every time. The piece is just not strong enough...and we're talking about the genuine cover, the one with engineered reinforcement in the bosses and along the edges. Those refinements would be beyond me.

So I've been looking for a more durable solution. No matter what material I find, it's going to have to be relatively thick and much tougher than the ABS elsewhere on the bike. But I'll keep looking at the ABS possibilities too. It's all an experiment. Thanks for the encouragement 🙂

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Gebruiker said:

Yes! ABS repairs have worked pretty good for me so far. The sludge forgiving and adaptable. But fashioning a complete piece in ABS is an extra challenge. The original sidestand cover is ABS and it breaks every time. The piece is just not strong enough...and we're talking about the genuine cover, the one with engineered reinforcement in the bosses and along the edges. Those refinements would be beyond me.

So I've been looking for a more durable solution. No matter what material I find, it's going to have to be relatively thick and much tougher than the ABS elsewhere on the bike. But I'll keep looking at the ABS possibilities too. It's all an experiment. Thanks for the encouragement 🙂

If nothing else use the ABS as a mould and make it out of carbon fibre 

• Member Contributer
On 2/23/2020 at 11:22 AM, Thumbs said:

If nothing else use the ABS as a mould and make it out of carbon fibre 

Carbon fiber? What am I, rocketman? If I can’t make an ABS copy, then carbon fiber is way way beyond my skill set. 😉

To be clear, I don’t actually have possession of even a broken OEM sidestand cover. But as you mention it, I’m thinking that application of a carbon fiber blanket over an old ABS original would be a very good idea, adding strength to the right form. I’d have to read up on how to do that. I’m not trying to diss you.  🙂

This is the latest thing I was given to try to adapt. Yesterday. From a friend’s Subaru:

IMG_3929.jpg.19c31af90ebc7aae649c71c8ebaeeb6d.jpg

This is how far I am away to carbon fiber, kevlar or graphene. It is pretty good bumper material, PE, polyethylene, but the scrap is too narrow for me to cut down to the right dimensions. So I’ll keep looking…

Carbon fiber. I’d never have thought of that… I'll begin to roll it around in my head. Thanks again 🙂

• Member Contributer

I bought a complete carbon fibre kit with a separate mould making kit off fleabay, I’ve made a few things with it and also included a layer of CF in the fairing panel with the chunk I constructed ... 

Just checked, there’s plenty and this for £20 looks good https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbon-Fibre-Starter-Repair-Kit-Twill-Weave-3k-200g-1000mm-X-300mm-Epoxy-Resin/402017893210?hash=item5d9a223b5a:g:b9UAAOSwXIheJwig

Just make sure you have always thick plastic coated gloves on and always clear up with a vacuum cleaner ...NEVER use compressed air around CF

Good luck with it

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Thumbs said:

I bought a complete carbon fibre kit with a separate mould making kit off fleabay

The kits are available here in the States too. Thanks. I'm still not sure what I'd use as a base mold, but good to know there are options.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Sidestand Cover 3

So I stopped by a fencing place not far from home and begged the guys for a scrap of fence. They were more than happy to point me to their skip with permission to root around inside and to help myself to their trash. I was hoping for a black scrap of fence post for my black-ish bike but only found white.

This is what I took.
IMG_3993.jpg.bc1c693e85b57aa1a0bf55d257dd720f.jpg

It’s a remnant of PVC post, about a foot long (25cm). They had tons of it but I grabbed only enough for the job at hand. No point in being greedy. Just the same, they told me I could come back for more of their trash should I need it. Maybe they’ll have black next time.

The stuff is plenty strong as molded. The walls are 4mm thick. I can stand on it. Fencing PVC is treated for resistance to weather and sunlight. That’s good for a sidestand cover. The fence guys said it’s tricky to paint properly. You need to use epoxy paint and a sealant. Yeah well… I was thinking along the lines of some leftover black vinylwrap. Black duct tape? Or I could get the fancy carbon fiber kit, as recommended by Thumbs.

After the fence place, I went begging at the hardware store for carriage bolts or flask stoppers but they didn’t have any of those in their trash so I had to spring for them, cash money. About a dollar and a half. My total cash outlay for the sidestand cover project. As you might imagine, a single scrap post section provides enough material for four sidestand covers, so I’m all set for my next three bikes. Dutchy would be proud of me.

Here’s how it went.

IMG_3994.jpg.c803c080a45a6aada5349d84c4396db5.jpg

I traced my cardboard prototype, (see entry, above) then cut the PVC with a regular jigsaw. The jigsaw blade worked fine. I didn’t even bother to sand down the PVC edge. I started out with a hack saw but that made a mess of it, and required physical labor to boot.

IMG_4003.JPG.eba569933d936e5a6e595839a9177d53.JPG

First fitting, still white. Adjust, tweak. I cut out the bit above the sidestand swing bolt where the original cover has a dimple, and trimmed the top a bit to clear the shift lever. 

IMG_4136.jpg.c7a46a9c1f9e5e0f8564e48cc95da320.jpg

Back on the bench with rubber boss/grommet things, cut to the length given by RC1237V

IMG_4134.JPG.834618dafa9525e0c942b1466ec360de.JPG

Second fitting. It works! Yay.

Since the carbon fiber kit was beyond my budget of zero dollars, I had to choose from among leftover vinyl wrap, black duct tape or spray paint. I’m trying the paint first. It’s pretty certain to chip and peel. We’ll see. Remember that Krylon Fusion stuff I used on the fairings? No runs, no drips, no errors? It’s not so bad. The vinyl wrap I think would be far too shiny and fragile down on the side stand. And duct tape would look like...duct tape. If the cover actually stays in place for more than a week or two, then I’ll consider a more presentable finish. 

IMG_4146.JPG.7e3bf4b2efb8154e28b55f4afd69da2f.JPG

I didn’t paint the carriage bolts. Probably a mistake. They are way too conspicuous to anyone who knows what the cover is supposed to look like. But if anybody out there has an original with broken bosses, my solution might be a cheap way to put things in order again. Sortof.

So then, where will it fail? PVC cracking? Bolts rusting out? Rubber stopper boss flange thingies? I’m hopeful that the strength of the PVC, and the built in flexibility of the rubber stoppers will give it a tolerably long half life. Longer than the originals even. But I’m not completely satisfied about my design yet. And it’s such a dumb little thing. If it falls off or breaks I’m not likely to bother making another. I don’t know whattheheck Honda was thinking in the first place.

• Member Contributer

PROUD OF YOU PAL!!! :goofy:

Pretty sure you had that Boy Scouts of America merit badge for "handyman" no?

So how does it look "closed"? 

What a great job on a real problem

these side stand covers always break off

I wonder if a person could hide the carriage bolt heads by dipping the heads in the liquid rubber you can buy, it comes in a lot of colors as well, may help with wind vibration as well

• Member Contributer
On 3/30/2020 at 1:01 PM, Dutchy said:

So how does it look "closed"?

Now you want it closed? I just can’t please you people. Opened. Closed. Never good enough. I could close it for a picture but then the motorcycle would fall over. And that would be bad. Also, depending on which side it falls, I might not even get the picture after the fact…

...Hang on...

IMG_4169.JPG.862b98e4202caf578c11cf7c35624926.JPG

There. Closed. Well yeah. It could be better. I got the alignment pretty good just by tweaking the rubber spacer boss things. But that gap between my home made cover and the lower side fairing is pretty big. Remember I cut the bit away that goes over the side stand swing bolt. And I had to shorten that very section because it was interfering with the shift. Next time, I'll be more exacting. I might just go and run the whole thing over that side stand bolt, no dimple, and recut the top bit off squarely so it meets the front lower fairing. I could try to make another cardboard patch prototype while the sidestand is up. I haven't figured out why those crazy angles are in there on the original in the first place.

IMG_4169b.jpg.72539553d22025c85c9d45e248a41a0a.jpg

(...In there, pretty big gap, crazy angles copied from pictures of original, see entries above...)

So I could start again with another quarter section of my PVC fence. Now that I'm almost there, I should be able to get the thing just about right next time, but ya know, mmmmmno. Maybe later. 

Since we’re down there in that part of the bike anyway, does it look like the steel under belly behind my shift and side stand has been um, modified? It looks a little bashed and dimpled to me. But maybe it’s supposed to be like that… Also is it typically black, or is it supposed to be the same color as the fairing?

I have to think more. Starting all over with a new section of PVC. That is discouraging. Rats. Dutchy won’t be proud of me now…

Aw hell.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Hingley said:

I wonder if a person could hide the carriage bolt heads by dipping the heads in the liquid rubber you can buy, it comes in a lot of colors as well, may help with wind vibration as well

Liquid rubber is another way to go. If I bother tweaking it again, I think I'd just paint the carriage bolt heads along with the rest of it. You can see right now they really shine when the side stand is closed.  That's probably not a good thing. But no matter what, paint or liquid rubber, they won't ever be invisible.

• Member Contributer

If you have enough room then gluing rivnuts on the back would dispense with the carriage bolts 

3819B24C-A583-4E27-A75F-C16B9C7DDE1D.jpeg

Archived