Awesome Accessory Barswitches for 8th Gen. EU/US Deluxe - a review

headshrink

I recently installed some accessory switches from PMR Components to my 2014 VFR800/Deluxe.  They can be customized for just about any kind of switch (single or double position, momentary, illuminated, etc.).  What drew me to their switches, over cheaper options, was that they not only look classy, but they’ll EASILY fit on almost any bike.  They just replace the front clamp on your clutch lever perch.  They’re billet aluminum, so supper strong.

Let me slow down a bit.  I’ve actually been buying these switches for a couple years, but when I bought my new-to-me VFR this year I thought I may have run into a problem.  I’ve got the 8th Gen Deluxe version, which has that ugly Traction Control button bolted onto the clutch perch/clamp, which would be in the way.  I don’t give up THAT easily, so I contacted PMR to ask them if they had a solution.  They did!  They were super helpful in helping me find a solution that I think is actually better than Honda’s original placement for the Trac Control switch. 

If you’re interested in buying a barswitch with the relocation tab for the traction control switch, you may need to email PMR first, as I don’t think it’s currently listed on their webpage, at least not at the time of this review.  Regardless of what you buy, let them know you heard about them on this forum so they continue to develop products for our bike!

Words are boring, and I tend to use too many.  Now for some pictures!

img

I love switches!

Left = garage door - (momentary switch)

Center = LED driving lights - (SPST)

Right = Aux (ground trigger for PDM60 power distribution module) - (SPST)

Note: Trac Control switch is relocated to mounting tab at bottom of barswitch.

img

A peek at the mounting tab PMR Components designed for the Traction Control switch. The genius is in the simplicity. The switch is relocated from the top of the bar, to the bottom, and looks better too.

ZTuy6RS.jpg

Looks clean!

iVDL6iy.jpg

The wires seem to disappear.

0bsNXr6.jpg

Quite the bundle of wires! I individually shrink-wrapped them for weather resistance & looks. They can be routed differently, but this is how I chose to do it.

goIC7zI.jpg

Although I can't get a casual glance through the sight-glass anymore, it's easy enough to nudge the wires aside for a peek. I may clean this up a little more with some small black wire-ties.

BONUS PICTURE FROM MY OLD BIKE

zqSFYim.jpg

Here’s an old picture I’m reposting from my CBR500r.  Notice the thumb switch between the grip and pod.  This is another PMR creation, which I used as the trigger for my garage door opener.  I went with a 3-switch pod on the VFR instead of reusing the thumb switch again, because I have the heated grip controller already in that space. 

After daily use for about three years, I’m also happy to report the color didn’t fade one bit!

EDIT: Spelling, formatting, etc.

Motogadget certainly has a different take on accessory switches - artistic and very German.  

I went with the PMR switches because of the way it integrates with the clutch perch and there was really no additional mounting space available on my bar, not to mention the solution they provide for mounting/relocating the Trac Control switch. PMR is also significantly less expensive. 

• Member Contributer

Something that comes to mind to me would be to use one of those for a fan override switch.   On your 8th gen a traditional on/off would work fine - on 5th / 6th gens a dual throw switch can be useful to also force the fan off.   I'm with Seb in that I'd prefer the switch housing be closed off and sealed from the weather.  I'd be a bit concerned about water ingress but maybe they've got that worked out.  They do look nice and bring a lot of functionality to the cockpit. 

2 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Something that comes to mind to me would be to use one of those for a fan override switch.   On your 8th gen a traditional on/off would work fine - on 5th / 6th gens a dual throw switch can be useful to also force the fan off.   I'm with Seb in that I'd prefer the switch housing be closed off and sealed from the weather.  I'd be a bit concerned about water ingress but maybe they've got that worked out.  They do look nice and bring a lot of functionality to the cockpit. 

When/what conditions would you want to override your fan?

I've had no issues riding in rain for over three years with my first setup.

• Member Contributer
15 minutes ago, headshrink said:

When/what conditions would you want to override your fan?

I've had no issues riding in rain for over three years with my first setup.

Cooling complaints are somewhat common with the side rad models - 5th and 6th gens.  Much of it relates to the direction of the air flow - the fan draws air from outside the fairing and blows it inwards, opposite the direction the ram air sends it.  Once the temp goes over 220 the fan comes on regardless of speed, effectively stalling the airflow over the left rad.  Turning the fan off re-establishes normal airflow and cools things off at about 35+ mph.  On the flip side turning the fan on in slow traffic before the temp climbs too much can head off a heat soaked engine that seems to take forever to cool off once moving again.  It's not nearly the issue with front mount rads found on earlier gens and with your 8th gen.  I could possibly see forcing the fan on before it hits 220 in the slow traffic scenario, but there's likely never a time on a front rad setup where forcing the fan off would be beneficial. 

I'm fairly local to you so maybe I'll see in person someday.  I don't think the OEM switch looks all that bad.  Sure, probably better ways to mount it but I never really notice it while riding so I figure it's ok as-is.  If I were to change anything it would be the funky way they setup the turn signals and how I keep honking the damn horn lol.

• Member Contributer
On 9 September 2018 at 11:13 PM, 14thumper said:

If I were to change anything it would be the funky way they setup the turn signals and how I keep honking the damn horn lol.

Took me a little while to adjust as well. But I find it better now because the turn switch in more naturally located to where your thumb sits, wouldn't want to change it. You will get used to it.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

Another option is the switch housings that mount in place of the clutch and brake reservoir lids.  The Motogadget switch pods remind me of the old Touratech stuff (also quite expensive!)  These days, there are so many options, e.g.:

s-l1600.jpg

(eBay UK)

Ciao,

3 hours ago, Rectaltronics said:

The open-back PMR design leaves me with weather concerns as well.

And none of the switches are advertised on their site as being waterproof.

If you know the manufacturer and model I could look 'em up.

I can't speak for the manufacturer, but I personally used two of their switches on my CBR for over three years of daily commuting in all weather.  I never had a problem with them.  The reason I posted the new ones here was because I was excited to have found a solution that considered the Trac Control switch.  There was otherwise no other usable space on the bar, that I could find, to clamp any other switch to.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, headshrink said:

I can't speak for the manufacturer, but I personally used two of their switches on my CBR for over three years of daily commuting in all weather.  I never had a problem with them.  The reason I posted the new ones here was because I was excited to have found a solution that considered the Trac Control switch.  There was otherwise no other usable space on the bar, that I could find, to clamp any other switch to.

Glad to hear it!  Yeah, it's tough to find places to put farkles on this VFR...

• Member Contributer
On 9/9/2018 at 8:32 PM, JZH said:

Another option is the switch housings that mount in place of the clutch and brake reservoir lids.

FYI, I was referring to these:

honda_goldwing_gl1800_clutch_reservoir_a

I'm very much a "waterproof switch guy" (for example, I know my IP from my NEMA...), but I should point out that OEM Honda switches are not waterproof, so it's not entirely surprising that non-sealed switches work fine on a motorcycle.

Ciao,

JZH

7 hours ago, JZH said:

I'm very much a "waterproof switch guy" (for example, I know my IP from my NEMA...), but I should point out that OEM Honda switches are not waterproof, so it's not entirely surprising that non-sealed switches work fine on a motorcycle.

Ciao,

JZH

Now I get what you're saying.  That's a really interesting approach.  I haven't seen it done before.

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, JZH said:

Ciao,

JZH

That is really clever. 

• Member Contributer

They're Goldwing/Pan European farkles.  Those guys do have some good ideas sometimes.  Riding on a gently swaying couch must have some cognitive benefits...

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
22 minutes ago, JZH said:

They're Goldwing/Pan European farkles.  Those guys do have some good ideas sometimes.  Riding on a gently swaying couch must have some cognitive benefits...

Ciao,

JZH

Link to source?

I've seen a few things like that in the 'States but they're all chrome stuff for the H-D crowd.

• Member Contributer

Sorry, I didn't buy them.  I think I just googled for images with "goldwing" and "switches".   Most seem to be chrome, but I see some in black.

Ciao,

Archived