• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

And returns briefly when cooling down too. No big deal though as all motors do this... usually you just can't see it. 🙂

I know, I was a very happy customer of your clear clutch cover :beer:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
23 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

That's for a fully outfitted and street legal bike, so I can imagine there's a good bit of potential for creating a lightweight VFR-powered track weapon... (begin ominous sense of foreshadowing here)... 

Hmmm, I wonder...

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 12:46 AM, SEBSPEED said:

Looking forward to your results. I used a pair of cheap bathroom scales and weighed the bike 3 times to get an average. The weights varied per try more than I would have liked to see, but I figured it was close enough. Not sure if the main source of deviation was the scales or the method off rolling on, let me know what you think when you try yours. 

It went between 185kg and 193kgs, about 1/3 of a tank.

I stood on the 2 scales i used, i weighed 80kgs on one and 86 on the other.

Gonna need a weighbridge.

• Member Contributer

I’ve knocked 35Kg out of mine & it’s amazing how much fitter their bike feels & handles. It is 200Kg wet with a half tank. That equates to approx 175Kg dry. 

I have a spare engine & if time & money come along, I intend to build a track version which I believe I can knock another 20Kg out of by ditching all the road equipment. For a wet weight of 180Kg. If I can manage the big bore then 140-160hp to push it along would make an interesting machine !!! 👍😎

180 wet is achievable, i reckon.

The headlight weighs a tonne because its glass- works really well, but heavy. Maybe one of the ktm duke 390?

And i still have the steel subframe from the ninja 250. Al. Subframe would shave a bit. Then its Ti bolts everywhere.

Or a forged front wheel to go with the forged rear. Then i'm outta ideas.

Turbo?

11 hours ago, Mohawk said:

I’ve knocked 35Kg out of mine & it’s amazing how much fitter their bike feels & handles. It is 200Kg wet with a half tank. That equates to approx 175Kg dry. 

I have a spare engine & if time & money come along, I intend to build a track version which I believe I can knock another 20Kg out of by ditching all the road equipment. For a wet weight of 180Kg. If I can manage the big bore then 140-160hp to push it along would make an interesting machine !!! 👍😎

Agreed, the weight loss makes it feel a lot better! 

10 hours ago, keef said:

180 wet is achievable, i reckon.

The headlight weighs a tonne because its glass- works really well, but heavy. Maybe one of the ktm duke 390?

And i still have the steel subframe from the ninja 250. Al. Subframe would shave a bit. Then its Ti bolts everywhere.

Or a forged front wheel to go with the forged rear. Then i'm outta ideas.

Turbo?

Lots of little stuff that could add up, led lighting gets cheaper every day... wheels don't, but swapping the right OEM parts is a good compromise. I have an OEM R1 front wheel that weighs the same as a Ducati Marchesini. Thin wall headers are in the works. 

The possibilities really stretch out for a track build where a diligent builder can strip a lot of normally overlooked items like excess harness wiring, frame tabs, super light subframe, etc. 

I have a few more VFR builds in the pipeline, and at least one of them will be an exercise in weight loss. The goal put forward was a sub 425lb curb weight (although the only curb it's likely to be near will be the red and white colored variety). I'm pretty confident I can beat that goal based on what I've seen accomplished so far. 

On 12/20/2018 at 12:46 AM, SEBSPEED said:

37 minutes ago, SEBSPEED said:

Agreed, the weight loss makes it feel a lot better! 

Lots of little stuff that could add up, led lighting gets cheaper every day... wheels don't, but swapping the right OEM parts is a good compromise. I have an OEM R1 front wheel that weighs the same as a Ducati Marchesini. Thin wall headers are in the works. 

The possibilities really stretch out for a track build where a diligent builder can strip a lot of normally overlooked items like excess harness wiring, frame tabs, super light subframe, etc. 

I have a few more VFR builds in the pipeline, and at least one of them will be an exercise in weight loss. The goal put forward was a sub 425lb curb weight (although the only curb it's likely to be near will be the red and white colored variety). I'm pretty confident I can beat that goal based on what I've seen accomplished so far. 

I really enjoy light weight with enough power.

Although, if i had a turbo or toro charger on  the shelf, i wouldnt  care about the last couple kilos.

14 hours ago, keef said:

I really enjoy light weight with enough power.

Although, if i had a turbo or toro charger on  the shelf, i wouldnt  care about the last couple kilos.

Are you calling me out? LOL

Still pissed i missed keeping it in aus.

It would make a 6th gen sound a bit like gdc.

Put it on a fighter in all its naked glory. Rapid bike, with my tuning bike tuning each cylinder indivdually.

You know you want to.

Archived