• Member Contributer

Dude... AMAZING!!!

You’re an artist making mechanical music!

... and I like the “2112” when the gauge came to life!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

This is the build thread write up of all time.  I'm going to save this for the weekend when I've got enough time to read through it all!   :lurk:

Holy mother of ... Damn. 👍.

I love those old P-51s, love the Corsairs too.  Watched Bob Hoover take off from our ramp at St. Louis International decades ago, canary yellow P-51, canary yellow flight suit.  He was a character.  He followed a pair of F-15s that had just launched straight up off the runway, he went as straight up as he could before rolling out 😁.

@Dutchy, guys location looks like the mountains of NY, he has no riding season to speak of, so lots of time to use skills.  Notice the tires are rains, he's already set up for crappy weather :laughing6-hehe:.  Of course, I jest ... great work.

ACE

4 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Fantastic job! Where do you find the hours to do all this? :huh::tongue:

Was working my day job 40hrs/wk then nights and weekends in my shop an additional 30-50hrs/wk. Spent every break period at work researching, designing, programming and ordering parts. 

On 12/1/17 my employer of 17yrs "restructured" to eliminate ~10% of the workforce, including me. It's been a bit rough but am now trying to make my own living doing this - this being bike projects, machining, welding, composite fab, upholstery, basically just about any sort of custom work I can get my hands on. 

Happy to say I am booked for the foreseeable future, but I do love discussing new projects any time. 

On 12/1/17 my employer of 17yrs "restructured" to eliminate ~10% of the workforce, including me. It's been a bit rough but am now trying to make my own living doing this

Seb, I was restructured in 1995. I went with my skills rather than my education and spent the rest of my career(?) self employed. All I can say is don’t look back. I wish I had had your skills back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, Sweeper said:

Seb, I was restructured in 1995. I went with my skills rather than my education and spent the rest of my career(?) self employed. All I can say is don’t look back. I wish I had had your skills back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I didn't mean to let the cat out of the bag, but, I guess I gotta start advertising at some point lol

It was close to half my life I spent there - hard to forget, but I do not desire to be back there. Onwards and upwards!

• Member Contributer
24 minutes ago, SEBSPEED said:

Thanks. I didn't mean to let the cat out of the bag, but, I guess I gotta start advertising at some point lol

It was close to half my life I spent there - hard to forget, but I do not desire to be back there. Onwards and upwards!

The scariest changes in my life have all turned out to be the best changes for me.  With your attitude and skill, you got this.

• Member Contributer

Just incredible respect and awe from me Seb.  Joining the choir here on so many fronts = your obvious skills and talents and on moving forward.  I think for most of us your work just blows us away.  Wish I had your skills brother. 🙂  You have, and will continue to crush it.  

Dave

• Member Contributer

Seb I am impressed beyond all words! 

Spent the whole day reading your thread in detail and ignoring my family - it is THAT good. Your vision, creativity and skills are legendary.  

Your employer is an ass-hat and should never have let such a fine workman leave. He won’t find another like you. And now you’re free to be your own man - too good an opportunity to pass up! 

This thread is a wonderful showcase of your abilities and I wholeheartedly wish you all the best. 

Stray

• Member Contributer

Everything that you have to pull these projects together; Design "a great eye", Craftsmanship, Workmanship "mechanical, electrical, welding, machining", Passion, Desire, Hardwork etc. etc. etc................

Very impressive. Thank you for sharing in such detail, I was glued to the thread for an hour reading every word, studding every picture, Very inspiring. 

Also happy that you used the best motorcycle ever built, 5th gen VFR as you canvas 

4 hours ago, Stray said:

Your employer is an ass-hat and should never have let such a fine workman leave. He won’t find another like you. And now you’re free to be your own man - too good an opportunity to pass up! 

Stray

So, I was thinking about just this and the thought occurred to me that just maybe the guy was smart enough to know that he was doing Seb right by setting him free.  When it happened to me, I struggled with why for a long time. In the end, it wasn't about me, it was about money.  If it was someone who knew Seb personally, maybe they knew it was the right thing?

• Member Contributer

Sorry that it was me that made you spill the beans...

But as you know, my employer made me redundant after 31 years of service. As what was written above: Look Forward!!

"Het komt allemaal goed"

After 1 year "garden leave" and 1 year job hunting (aka ride my bikes A LOT for 2 years) I am now a self-employed GRC consultant. Invoicing 40hrs/week. :wheel:

Here the back of my business card...

IMAG1542.thumb.jpg.7f81f0462419a2f64d380d4951ad92e5.jpg

Risk Assessment, mitigating control, execute!

On 9/7/2018 at 10:26 AM, SEBSPEED said:

On 12/1/17 my employer of 17yrs "restructured" to eliminate ~10% of the workforce, including me. It's been a bit rough but am now trying to make my own living doing this - this being bike projects, machining, welding, composite fab, upholstery, basically just about any sort of custom work I can get my hands on.

Well this "resume" project you have shared will undoubtedly lead to a few inquiries!  Best of luck but obviously, you have the skill to be successful on your own.

On 9/8/2018 at 4:08 PM, Stray said:

Seb I am impressed beyond all words! 

Spent the whole day reading your thread in detail and ignoring my family - it is THAT good. Your vision, creativity and skills are legendary.  

This thread is a wonderful showcase of your abilities and I wholeheartedly wish you all the best. 

Stray

I hope to never have a boss again.

I really enjoy doing what I do and the variety is even better. Thank you!

On 9/8/2018 at 8:34 PM, Sweeper said:

So, I was thinking about just this and the thought occurred to me that just maybe the guy was smart enough to know that he was doing Seb right by setting him free.  When it happened to me, I struggled with why for a long time. In the end, it wasn't about me, it was about money.  If it was someone who knew Seb personally, maybe they knew it was the right thing?

Nothing personal or smart about it. It was a corporate decision and I'm glad I don't have to deal with a corporate environment anymore. It sickened me to my core. I could go on but it's in the past and I don't have time to dwell on negative bs. 

I was planning and dreaming about moving on for a while, but was just a couple yrs into a longer term plan. They gave me a surprise jump start. I know it's going to have ups and downs and stresses but for now my goals are simple (pay my bills) and I have backup options lined up to cover that. Being 100% self reliant is liberating, scary, and fun. 

• Member Contributer

I got "laid off" after 17.5 years. I was in the burst radius of a politics and money ka-boom. P.O.d for about 10 minutes and then-"What am I going to do now?" Sent out a few resumes at the beginning of the overseas contractor 'happy time'. Got one phone call-no follow up. Came home to find a FED EX envelope with a contract and a ticket to Pakistan. Got to do some cool stuff in some interesting places. One door closes-another opens. With your skills you won't have any trouble making a go of it-drive on, and best of luck-but it doesn't look like you'll need it. 

• Member Contributer

I have a friend that's done something similar - left the korporate world for self employment.  He's says that his boss now is much tougher than any he's had before, but he wouldn't trade it for anything. 

Archived