Check out this TT Legends 8th Gen VFR

VFR80025th

• Member Contributer
On 9/9/2018 at 9:06 AM, Bent said:

Most aftermarket cans are anything but noisy.  Harley has the noise market cornered.  

Most folks who hate loud motorcycles will tell you you're farging crazy regarding your aftermarket cans generalization.  And I'm inclined to agree.  The good news, at least in the 'States, is that the last couple of years have seen an increase in EPA type-approved slip-ons (due entirely to increasing legal pressures) and as long as you don't screw with them, the increase in noise is tolerable.

But, most folks who hate loud motorcycles will agree that the V-twin crowd does have the market cornered.  Which is fine since that's the only corner they can do well.  😎  Back to being serious, the big V-twin thumping noise penetrates everything and is almost impossible to insulate against.  It is viciously intrusive and is probably responsible for most of the hatred directed toward motorcycle riders.

Anyway, I'm loving the pics.  Very tempting to invest in a vinyl kit...

On 9/8/2018 at 8:53 AM, Bent said:

The 8th gen,. muffler itself should be illegal for being so hideous.  Reminds me of one of the reasons I ditched mine.  It alone  makes the bike uglier than any kind of paint job.  

If you pull off those plastic bits, it doesn't look much different from a Staintune, which is inexplicably adored by so many VFR afficionados.

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, VARIABLE9 said:

This thread turned ugly. 

They've both been going to the same bar for quite some time; you're bound to find someone you don't agree with eventually. 😄 

• Member Contributer
22 minutes ago, Bent said:

Damn, an expert right here on VFRD!!  

"Most folks who hate loud motorcycles will tell you".......Now that sounds like a genuine authoritarian statement!!  Apparently, not too many people on VFRD are concerned about these what folks allegedly think.  

Try being agreeable to SOMETHING...just anything for once.  Be nice!!

I was being nice.  I've been agreeable to plenty here - including in my previous post.  That you choose to focus away from that is your issue, not mine.

It is true though, that not too many motorcyclists are concerned about what "folks allegedly think", and that includes a good cross-section of the members here on VFRD.  And a lot of us who do actually care, have a skewed perception of what constitutes acceptable noise.  That's precisely how and why we end up with more and more laws (and more expensive laws) specifically addressing loud motorcycles, even when there's no great shortage of loud cars.  In NYC or California for example, tickets for loud or otherwise illegal motorcycle exhausts can be between $300 and $3000 and even result in confiscation of the bike.

You seem to use the term "authoritarian" as a pejorative.  Or did you mean "authoritative"?  Forget it - it doesn't matter.  Look, I don't write these laws and I certainly didn't vote to pass them.  But as someone who is politically active and who is a hard-working public advocate for motorcycle and scooter use in my city,  and who actually fought and won against "label law" legislation here and even helped get a troublesome anti-motorcycle Council Member voted out of his office, I can legitimately report first-hand about how the overwhelming majority of folks feel about motorcycle noise.  Likewise, I am able to report first-hand what that costs the motorcycle community in terms of burdensome lawmaking, overly aggressive law enforcement, ugly treatment on the roads by other motorists, and truly maniacal resistance to even the most basic requests for sensible treatment in issues as seemingly harmless as parking.

Not only do most people hate the noise -- some react to the mere subject of it with PTSD -like symptoms.

Feel free to complain about "tyranny of the majority" if that's your speed.  But facts are facts.  Sorry if they don't agree with the desire for some to share their noise with everyone in a one-mile radius and/or who believe that loud pipes will save their lives.

• Member Contributer

You can have the last word.  it just isn't as important to me.  

Loud pipes save lives. 

Any biker that doesn't like the beautiful load sound of a Honda V4 with a nice race can is either deaf or just plain boring and really just a commuter and not a biker in my opinion. Like it or lump it.:cool:

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, AndyJak said:

Loud pipes save lives. 

Any biker that doesn't like the beautiful load sound of a Honda V4 with a nice race can is either deaf or just plain boring and really just a commuter and not a biker in my opinion. Like it or lump it.:cool:

There is a difference between a nice sounding exhaust and a just plain noisy one.  Most folk just go for the noise.  

Where I live it’s a regular weekend costal stop for bikers. Some bikes you can hear over half a mile away coming towards you. This in my book is not acceptable.

What does make the difference,  is a small  downhill left right just before my house.  All the noisy straight line boys back off,  where as the decent bikers can keep it lit so you can appreciate the noise as opposed to popping and banging  on a closed throttle.

Personally I’d go for stealth all the time. Clocking up between 300 and 500 miles a week  last thing I want is something that will draw attention to me.

Re race cans.  How many of these aftermarket race exhausts do you ACTUALLY see on a grid? 

• Member Contributer

Damn, 38 years of riding for nothing, i'm not a biker as I don't have a race can.

Is it too late for me, can I turn this situation around? Will a race can make me a real biker?

• Member Contributer

I have aftermarket cans but I do not like "show them off" unless I feel the noise will wake up an inattentive driver.  On the track though, it's status quo for loud exhaust, so I have no issues letting loose there. In my conversations with "cagers" most of them will tell me how they hate the way motorcycles zoom around like they own the road and how obnoxious the sound is on most of them. Many ask me if I ride like that or how loud is my bike. I can honestly answer the first question with a no and the other depends on how heavy I am with the throttle hand. I can say that although my wife likes to ride on the bike with me, she too does not like the noise of a loud motorcycle and she's deaf in one ear and has about 40% intelligibility with the other ear unaided.

I won't go so far as to say that Loud pipes save lives, I think learning how to ride and be diligent when riding does that. I also do not care for the term "biker", to me it has a negative connotation to it, I prefer the term "motorcyclist",

As far as the paint scheme part of this thread, I do think the RWB of the RC30 is probably my favorite, then the anniversary edition VFR800. Some of the race livery of past V4 racers were cool too.

• Member Contributer

It is a bit annoying when a thread takes a left turn and ends up in the gutter.

Everyone is different, each to their own, personally really loud cans annoy me but I do have a Staintine without baffle. The throttle controls the volume.

I've seen a 6G with new CBR1000RR colours, and I think it really suits the lines.

RC49 04 sm.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have yet to see a 5G with a non factory colour that I like. 

But I do like the stock silver ones, maybe even better than my red one. 

image.jpeg

Archived