Exhaust mod, removing the heatshields from the exhaust

irishrOy

I have got a quick question and hope you can help me out.

How hard is it to remove the heat-shields from the stock exhaust and put them on again on another stock exhaust?

To make things short:
I'd like to make the hole-saw & dremel-mod to my exhaust.
However I'm not sure if the cops like this (here in Germany). 
So I'm getting a used VFR-exhaust to work on, and if I the men in blue don't like it, I can put the default exhaust back on.

The problem is: The new exhaust has weird heatshields and I'd like to use my own.

So the question I'm having is: How hard is it to take off the heatshields?

I know there are two screws holding the side-heat-shields in rubbermounts and two allen keys are holding the end-cap-heat-shields. Is that really everything there is to the them, or are there any hidden shenanigans?

Thanks in advance for your help! 🙂

• Member Contributer

Nothing tricky at all, have transferred heat shields from one set of 6gen pipes to another. Simply remove the screws from the main shield and from memory l think they slide slightly rearward to detach them from the rubber mounts. The rear end shields can then be unscrewed and removed, simple process. Of course this can only be done with the exhaust removed from the bike.

Cheers. :beer:

6 hours ago, Grum said:

Nothing tricky at all, have transferred heat shields from one set of 6gen pipes to another. Simply remove the screws from the main shield and from memory l think they slide slightly rearward to detach them from the rubber mounts. The rear end shields can then be unscrewed and removed, simple process. Of course this can only be done with the exhaust removed from the bike.

Cheers. :beer:

Man, that is awesome and good to hear!

You might have saved me not just a couple of bucks but also some tedious work! 

Thanks again!

Then I'll get a used exhaust, cut it up and put my own heatshields on it!

Can't wait 😄

• 2 weeks later...

I just did that, bought another oem exhaust & drilled the baffles. Transfered the heat shields because they were a different finish. I got a 12 inch drill bit and started a pilot hole then used a 5/8 counter sink on a 12 inch locking adapter. Drilled several holes. Has a rumble sound, not overly loud. 

Archived