Seat Options

BillAz31

Been on the fence regarding a Corbin seat.  I like the possibility of adding the backrest to make my wife feel safer on the back but had one on my GSXR many years ago and thought the fitment wasn't the greatest.  Any alternatives out there or suggestions?  Been slowly modding the bike and will probably do the Gruhl reflash this winter.  I will say that the most annoying part on the bike for me so far is the levers just don't adjust to my liking, and there doesn't seem to be that many non Chinese options out there.

Bill

• Member Contributer

Not a suggestion per se, but I think you're wise opting for something other than a Corbin. My experience is similar to yours, fitment issues, and also very heavy, and broken

fiberglass backing.

I like my Sargent but that's on a '99 so I can't say about a 1200 model.

I just got my Corbin seat in last week.  I think the fitment is spot on.  The front of the saddle actually matches up to the tank better than the OEM seat does.  Comfort compared to the OEM seat is also night and day.  It took us about 250 miles of riding to really get the seat conformed to our rear ends.  Overall, I would highly recommend the Corbin seat for the budget minded VFR rider.  I know there are amazing seats that go for more than $1K, but for half that, the Corbin seat does just fine.

I just really surprised that there just aren't many options out there for a Honda.  I just don't see why this bike is so ignored.

100% agree!!

I’ve been shopping for a decent seat for my VFR12 for 6mths.. still haven’t found what I’m looking for.

Attention all motorcycle seat distributors / manufacturers!! There is a gap in the market that needs filling..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sargent will redo any seat, just send it to them.

http://www.sargentcycle.com/Custom-Seat-Services/

Already spoken with them, or should I say I spoke to their UK distributor (as Sargent don’t actually have a UK HQ), and unfortunately they do not offer that service here. They also refused to send my seat to the US HQ so that it could be done, claiming that the shipping costs would be too inhibitive. Instead the distributor recommended a local repairer (whom they use to perform repairs when they receive broken Sargent seats). I contacted this business, sent them loads of photos (of my unblemished factory seat) and they said they weren’t able to replicate the Sargent VFR12 seat as displayed on the Sargent website.

Sargent was in fact my first choice so I really tried hard to get one of these.. but after reaching a brick wall with trying to get one I’ve then started to look into other brands / options.. TBH, I’ve pretty much lost the will to live in relation to the whole subject

Keep hoping a used one pops up on eBay, or maybe Father Christmas pops one in my Xmas stocking, but alas I’m destined to have a factory VFR12 seat forever it seems.

• Member Contributer
Just now, RedlineDrifter said:

Already spoken with them, or should I say I spoke to their UK distributor (as Sargent don’t actually have a UK HQ), and unfortunately they do not offer that service here. They also refused to send my seat to the US HQ so that it could be done, claiming that the shipping costs would be too inhibitive. Instead the distributor recommended a local repairer (whom they use to perform repairs when they receive broken Sargent seats). I contacted this business, sent them loads of photos (or my unblemished factory seat) and they said they weren’t able to replicate the Sargent VFR12 seat as displayed on the Sargent website.
Sargent was in fact my first choice so I really tried hard to get one of these.. but after reaching a brick wall with trying to get one I’ve then started to look into other brands / options.. TBH, I’ve pretty much lost the will to live in relation to the whole subject emoji19.png
Keep hoping a used one pops up on eBay, or maybe Father Christmas pops one in my Xmas stocking, but alas I’m destined to have a factory VFR12 seat forever it seems.

All you have to do is reach out to the Sargent's team in the US directly, and ship it to them. You can skip their crappy UK distributor. Somebody has done it before!

Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Eastern (GMT -5)

1-800-749-7328 (Toll Free Phone within USA and Canada)
+904-354-4531 (Phone)
+904-354-7979 (Fax)

Questions@sargentcycle.com

• Member Contributer

Also,If Sargent US refuses to help you due to their UK distributor having the regional rights, just have one of us in the states act as a middle man. No big deal. 😄

Also,If Sargent US refuses to help you due to their UK distributor having the regional rights, just have one of us in the states act as a middle man. No big deal.

Really? That is a very kind offer man, thank you for this.
...fingers crossed Sargent play nice and we don’t need to go down that road

I was going to send mine off to LAAM seats... but then I bought a mini bike and haven't touched Big Red all summer.

About 3/4 way down page 3 are some pictures on a 7th Gen.

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/71427-seat-recommendation/&do=findComment&comment=924351

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

My bike came with a Corbin seat with passenger back rest. Really friggin comfy for me and passenger. Rear backrest donut is removable via Allen key screw from underneath  If you want it to look more sporty hardcore  as to wife on back donut hole look! Lol. Wife doesn't ride with me much so I have it off but can always slap that baby on when needed 😁

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 9/9/2018 at 12:55 PM, RedlineDrifter said:

Already spoken with them, or should I say I spoke to their UK distributor (as Sargent don’t actually have a UK HQ), and unfortunately they do not offer that service here. They also refused to send my seat to the US HQ so that it could be done, claiming that the shipping costs would be too inhibitive. Instead the distributor recommended a local repairer (whom they use to perform repairs when they receive broken Sargent seats). I contacted this business, sent them loads of photos (of my unblemished factory seat) and they said they weren’t able to replicate the Sargent VFR12 seat as displayed on the Sargent website.

Sargent was in fact my first choice so I really tried hard to get one of these.. but after reaching a brick wall with trying to get one I’ve then started to look into other brands / options.. TBH, I’ve pretty much lost the will to live in relation to the whole subject emoji19.png

Did you ever get your seat redone? If not, since you're in the UK, I'd recommend at least talking to Else Made. https://www.elsemade.co.uk/ 

I live in the states and had him make a seat for my Blackbird and it was amazing. All weekend comfort. I'm sure he could help you. Look here too: https://www.elsemade.co.uk/honda-seats

Did you ever get your seat redone? If not, since you're in the UK, I'd recommend at least talking to Else Made. https://www.elsemade.co.uk/ 

I live in the states and had him make a seat for my Blackbird and it was amazing. All weekend comfort. I'm sure he could help you. Look here too: https://www.elsemade.co.uk/honda-seats

Hi CD,

I actually spoke to Elsemade yesterday! I discussed my requirements for a custom seat and they have agreed to make it. Provided they deliver on the quoted price, I would say they are very reasonable in terms of cost.

Thanks again for the recommendation CD, nearly bought an ebay special (out of shear desperation), but super happy I’m now having my own seat design created.
I am booked in with them to have my seat done in June as they are booked up until then. I can’t wait! :)
I’ll post some pics of the seat on here once it’s done.

• Member Contributer

And tons of options on material and style. In that 2nd link I saw at least one VFR12 seat. I've been following him on Facebook for over 5 years. Here's truly a master craftsman. 🙂

• Member Contributer
On 3/20/2019 at 2:30 AM, RedlineDrifter said:

Hi CD,

I actually spoke to Elsemade yesterday! I discussed my requirements for a custom seat and they have agreed to make it. Provided they deliver on the quoted price, I would say they are very reasonable in terms of cost.

Thanks again for the recommendation CD, nearly bought an ebay special (out of shear desperation), but super happy I’m now having my own seat design created.
I am booked in with them to have my seat done in June as they are booked up until then. I can’t wait! 🙂
I’ll post some pics of the seat on here once it’s done.

If I keep this bike I'll have him make me a seat. Upside is I should be able to get a decent amount of money for this Corbin. His seats look bad ass and I already know how incredibly comfortable they are.  Here's a few seats for our bike if you didn't see them. 

Oh, and tell him David Behr from Arizona referred you, having made a seat for my Blackbird. This one here. I had him move the bump forward and I liked the feel but the passenger section does look a little long. I wouldn't do that again.

bb.thumb.jpg.d83576f2ae36ba0107c557cd9b74d1d3.jpg1164050609_VFR4.thumb.jpg.489057b930139ddb1974d793a4313752.jpg878426505_vfr1.thumb.jpg.8e25383c1370558f5ced16777245df05.jpg

For sure CD - I’ll mention you referred me

Great looking Blackbird BTW man
I’m a huge fan of the CBR11 and very nearly bought one instead of the VFR12.

I’m lucky enough to live only about 1hr from Elsemade’s workshop so he very kindly offered me a ‘while you wait’ service! He reckoned it would take him about 3hrs to completely reshape & retrim the seat, so I’m looking forward to seeing him work his magic.

I wish I didn’t have to wait until June! I’m off on a road trip next month and could really do with having it done before I leave.. we’re going from UK across the Eurotunnel straight to Netherlands (Amsterdam), Germany (Nürburgring), Belgium (Spa Franco Champs circuit) and Brussels (Beers!!), then across France and back home to UK. Despite the stock seat it should still be a good trip

• Member Contributer

Sounds amazing, the trip. If I lived so close I'd be on my 4th seat from him by now. 

That's when I first got it. Here's iteration 2. Much better looking. 

20150108_130154.jpg

• Member Contributer

Well, imitation snakeskin is disgusting just in principle, finally figured out how to remove those. But the others, hell yes. 

Archived