TOP BOX

Ennsync

Hello and I wanna let you all know that I found this forum like Wikipedia of VSTROM thank to you all.

I have idea of what I will do to the bike to make it more capable for my use.

down the road I will need a TOP BOX for my red 8TH Generation.

I want to know what are you using , and price wise which one is a better buy.

I do not like the look of OEM top boxes but OEM side Panjers are KILLER.

Ride safe/Ride Long

n+1.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'm all for hard side bags. Top boxes are weight in the worst possible place. At 5 ft. 7 in. I'm not the Golly Green Giant, but adding a top box makes the center balance arc much narrower.  Aerodynamics also suffer. And any significant load subtracts from front-end traction. 

Another esoteric fact: if one hits a deer (or any large movable live object of sufficient height), squarely, at 65 mph on a freeway, with a load behind you (I had a pair of 25 lb. Givi V41 side cases) the load can create a large leverage force, enough to launch a rider over the bars and windscreen, onto, hopefully the unobstructed paved shoulder. (I can add pics of the results later.)

Note the broken frame under the rear of the fuel tank. Same on the other side.

And in a moment of self-deprecation, I'll have to admit, side hardbags make great frame sliders. :excl::wacko: 

BTW your formula is the prescription (excuse) for all of us suffering from MBD - Multi-Bike Disease.

• Member Contributer
59 minutes ago, fink said:

Oem top box 45 l is grand bit of kit. 

3B59C033-B5A5-4D9C-8CF9-F43955896766.jpeg

A great looking machine in the Fastest Color.

• Member Contributer

I have an SW-Motech rear rack and. 33litre Givi top case. All that was about half the price of the OEM rack and top box. The specs for the Givi setup suggest a load limit of about 7-10kg, so I only carry wet weather gear, phone, wallet,  under layer etc in it. The rest goes in the OEM panniers. The OEM panniers cost a bit but look good and don't leave ugly brackets on the bike when you leave them at home. I managed to get some second hand from a punter who trashed his Viffer without them on it.

I have ridden across Australia with the setup and found no issues with stability, even at 200kph+. (passing Road Trains on the Nullarbor) not that I would recommend those speeds on a regular basis. I think Mr Honda suggests max speeds around 80kph.

Some people seem to have problems with the SW-Motech racks, but my has given no trouble in over 30,000 kms. I did, however, replace the mounting plate quick release fasteners with SS bolts, before the Nullarbor ride, for peace of mind.

IMG_0981.JPG

IMG_0982.JPG

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, VFR78 said:

The specs for the Givi setup suggest a load limit of about 7-10kg, so I only carry wet weather gear, phone, wallet,  under layer etc in it. The rest goes in the OEM panniers.

You must be the only person I've ever heard of who actually follows that suggestion!  I do put "lighter" stuff in the top box when I use one, but it's otherwise stuffed to the gills.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

My topbox was full to the hilt has well. As I laid in the back of the ambulance, one of my 1st thoughts was:

"Shoot, I hope my bottles of whisky are still intact!"  :tongue:

They were.... :beer:

• Member Contributer

I went with the larger sized Honda rear trunk and have had no issues at all with it at all loaded up and railing corners, all good, fit n finish is superb IMO, love the color matched look! :fing02:

IMG_6538_zpsz6on880x.jpg

• Member Contributer

Cases make great support pucks! :goofy:

P8141116.JPG

(Daugavpils, Latvia   8AM in the morning)

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Cases make great support pucks! :goofy:

P8141116.JPG

(Daugavpils, Latvia   8AM in the morning)

I have long touted the side bags as great frame sliders. (blush)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:29 AM, MaxSwell said:

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:29 AM, MaxSwell said:

o NO,

• Member Contributer
On 9/3/2018 at 12:29 PM, MaxSwell said:

Well, um, $900 frame sliders...    (discount price plus tax and shipping)

Can't replace just a lid, and can't replace just one side either.

Somewhere here many moons ago there was a post about a way of ordering just a lid from someplace in Yurp I think, but nobody ever followed up with an explanation of how to get the old one off without making a dreadful mess of the whole thing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
4 hours ago, mikeswe said:

I just got my Givi topbox. The Givi mounting plate can be mounted to the Honda rack using three of the four supplied brackets as showed in the pictures.

DSC_0404.JPG

DSC_0406.JPG

DSC_0407.JPG

That is one slick arrangement. Looks sufficiently aerodynamic and tidy.

Archived