Any 2nd Gen Tuono Owners?

• Member Contributer

The opportunity to pick up a low mileage, mildly farkled 2nd gen Tuono has presented itself to me.  Anybody here own one now or in the past?  What did you have trouble with or hate about it?  Any good mature forums without a bunch of owner circle jerk going on?

I've long been dreaming of a replacement for my long gone Monster with a big, high(ish) revving twin, with a good chassis and brakes.  On a related note, the 599 will be moving on soon if the Tuono deal goes through.

• Member Contributer

Great bike, but be aware that they have major stator problems. 

I put in 2 stators on my mates bike, it has only clocked up 15,000km since new. 

A third one was installed while still under warranty by the dealer at 2000km.

So an average of 1 stator every 5000km.

I had a 2nd gen 2007 Tuono  for about 4 years, sold about 1 year ago. Great bike, it was already gone through for electric issues, and I had no problems.

Also has a 1st gen 2003 Tuono for 9 1/2 years sold in April. It had been gone over by the prior owners tech, which I still go to today for my Ducati. No major problems there either. I did not let them sit, btw. But I was one guy riding 3 bikes on the weekend. I'll Swag, 25,000 miles on the 03, and 12,000 on the 07 done by me.

I decided to downsize from 3 bikes to 1, at least for a while. I loved them both, and the VFR, also sold.

Try it, you'll like it. If not, I'll refund the price of my advice. Oh, check the infamous brown connector.

https://www.apriliaforum.com/

Great forum, traditional greeting to new members is, WAFO! Welcome and * Off. 😀

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the input.  About the stators, I thought I read somewhere that the last 2 years have a slightly different design but I can't find it now.  Any idea if this is the case?

VFR4Lee - did you have stator problems?  I don't know the precise differences between LA and Sydney climates, but perhaps this is a problem exacerbated by high ambient temperatures.

I had no stator problems. On the 03 I had to replace the starter solenoid. Otherwise both just got tires, batteries, etc.

They need a strong battery to crank over those big pistons. Summers here are hot. A couple months of near every day past 90, and a couple weeks worth of over 100F.

Don't now about your first question, but bet you can find it over there. There are several people on there that are expert Aprilia techs.

• Member Contributer

When I swapped the last stator on my mates bike, I had to swap the flywheel as well. 

Aprillia shop stated that this should make a difference. 

It was a 2011 model. 

Archived