800 Rear Bearing Holder Removal - it wont budge!

Skids

• Member Contributer

Resurrecting this thread as I have finally gotten down to removing the bearing holder to try to ease the tensioning of the chain. 

Needless to say, there was some water in there which dripped out when I removed the holder.

The 2 surfaces that the holder rotates on were showing signs of corrosion so I have sanded them down but before I reassemble, should I just leave these surfaces dry or grease them? I know grease may well attract dust etc but it should also prevent the corrosion which caused the difficulty in adjusting the chain. The Service Manual just says to clean and reassemble, no mention of grease or anything else.

Thoughts?

• Member Contributer

Mohawk's suggestion of ACF50 is definitely worth looking at, we used a similar sounding product called Weicon A-100 when I was in the service but I don't know where to get it.  A thin coat of anti-seize is probably another good option.

I doubt it would slip if lubricated, but I can't say for sure.  For this reason I would avoid greases and other stuff that are primarily lubricants.

• Member Contributer
9 minutes ago, MadScientist said:

Mohawk's suggestion of ACF50 is definitely worth looking at, we used a similar sounding product called Weicon A-100 when I was in the service but I don't know where to get it.  A thin coat of anti-seize is probably another good option.

I doubt it would slip if lubricated, but I can't say for sure.  For this reason I would avoid greases and other stuff that are primarily lubricants.

Thanks. 

Yes, I re-read Mohawk's post but wondered how does ACF50 "dry"? It's an oil-based product so surely that could take weeks/months?

Anyhooo, short of any other answers and time running out before I need the bike back on the road, I shall smear a very thin coat of ACF50 over both pairs of surfaces, give them a day or so to "dry" and re-assemble.

• Member Contributer

I put a thin coat of copper antiseize on mine. Just a very light sheen. As much as you’d put on the back of brake pads. 

Honda makes no mention of grease but Ducati and Triumph do! My instinct says grease ‘er up...

Hi skids

have you got any acf50 corrosion block grease?

it's basically blue waterproof marine type grease, I'm midway through restoring a '94 vfr750 & that's what I've used between all the moving faces/surfaces once I cleaned it up

granville also do blue grease, it's about a tenner a tub

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Givusaclue said:

Hi skids

have you got any acf50 corrosion block grease?

it's basically blue waterproof marine type grease, I'm midway through restoring a '94 vfr750 & that's what I've used between all the moving faces/surfaces once I cleaned it up

granville also do blue grease, it's about a tenner a tub

Indeed I do m8, been using it for years and that's what I've applied to the mating surfaces.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Skids said:

Indeed I do m8, been using it for years and that's what I've applied to the mating surfaces.

Your UK defense budget dollar at work??? :goofy:

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Your UK defense budget dollar at work??? :goofy:

I paid for it myself! :tongue:

• Member Contributer

If there's corrosion I would also put a light coating of anti-seize on it before reassembly. Hopefully you won't have to

disassemble again but if you do...

Archived