Bit of favor to ask, would owners of the 5th gen send pictures of the head serial number?

VFRSuperfreak

Hi all, this good friend gets stopped and the cops really insist that the VIN on the steering head has been done over. 

The reason they suspect is that the rectangle around the numbers is shiny, seems to have been polished (but it wasn't). 

I'm having another friend who has a sandblaster do a bit of brushing to make the area less shiny. In the meantime, we are curious as to what it looks in other bikes. (yes I know... cops and alternative revenues... 😠 )

Would anyone kindly take a pic and send it over?, ( superfreak77@gmail.com ). I'm attaching here what this one looks like. 
Many thanks!

-

PS: I'm in SW Mexico and often host or otherwise hook up with riders who come by, SO COME BY!. (The owner of this 5th gen is the club's orthopedic surgeon).

IMG-20180829-WA0029.jpg

• Member Contributer

Firstly, yeah, that's pretty much what Honda frame sn's look like.

There is a second number on the motor, and a third on the v.i.n. tag. So, unless there is some magic involved it ought to be pretty easy to determine that they all match - or otherwise.

• Member Contributer

What about the sticker on the side of the frame - that must match the stamped set on the steering head - very difficult to replicate.  I can't see how they could think that someone's getting rich machining off numbers and replicating factory stickers on 20 year old bikes.    Sounds like maybe the cops there don't have enough to do . . .

On 8/29/2018 at 11:08 PM, Cogswell said:

What about the sticker on the side of the frame - that must match the stamped set on the steering head - very difficult to replicate.  I can't see how they could think that someone's getting rich machining off numbers and replicating factory stickers on 20 year old bikes.    Sounds like maybe the cops there don't have enough to do . . .

True on all counts including re-stamping, revenue cops, etc. It's an all out fight here!. (6 cops died on 2 separate days this month, and it's just the 4th). 

Thank you all who replied. This helps. Our doc here decided to leave it as is (we thought of "airbrushing" with a sandblaster). 

• Member Contributer

Oh pooh, it's not like it's a secret. Easily visible, next you'll be saying don't post your license plate. More internet/Facebook

fear and paranoia.

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, FJ12Ryder said:

Oh pooh, it's not like it's a secret. Easily visible, next you'll be saying don't post your license plate. More internet/Facebook

fear and paranoia.

Sure. Good luck. Why don’t you post your address and SSN too?  FYI I heard there’s a Nigerian prince that has $1,000,000 USD to share with you if you just send him $5,000 for the currency conversion fees.  I’ll find you his email address. 

No paranoia here, just caution. 

• Member Contributer

All it will take is for you to actually show me someone that has had their VIN stolen, or their plate number stolen

after posting it online, and what actually happened. Sorry, I just have enough other things to think about and not

going to worry about non-existent problems.

You do what you want, and I'll do what I want. And don't forget that tinfoil hat either, and always use a VPN, and

never use the card reader at the gas station, and never sit on a public toilet, etc. Just check on Facebook about

things to worry about tomorrow.

• Member Contributer

Okay, just give me "one" example of someone's VIN stolen off a forum, and what the outcome was.

You can walk through any parking lot, used car lot, bike shop, mall parking lot and get a ton of VIN's. Now that

you have them, what will you do with them? And if it was so obvious a crime scenario, why do they still put them 

out there in plain sight? The same goes for all those license plates out there free for the reading. You got 'em,

what do you do with them? If there's a good reason to avoid something I'm all for it, but this stuff just comes off

as more internet fear mongering.

Kind of like those warnings about not giving out your bank account number. Just silly.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

fear and paranoia.

Just because I'm paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me! 'Cause they are! :ohmy:  

• Member Contributer

Yeah, but I save my paranoia for scary stuff like Alexa, Google speak, and the always listening speakers and smart TV's

that people put in their homes. Those are worthy of paranoia. Big Brother is watching...and listening...always.

• Member Contributer

Sure you could walk out and get a VIN if you get close to read it. That might raise suspicion.  But pulling a specific VIN for what your profile says is a 99 VFR from Platte City, MO is a very specific bit of information.  Guess you’ve never seen a fake title, fake VIN plate, fake license plate, fake registration, or fake drivers license?  Again, I said caution. I did not say paranoia. That’s your spin on it. 

• Member Contributer

Let's be real, a VIN is nothing to be hidden, nor are license plates. Like when people use their thumb to cover up the license plate in a Craigslist ad. Makes me chuckle every time.

If someone wants to go through the effort to re-create documents for a 20 year old motorbike, by all means...

• Member Contributer

Yes, I see your point.  

By the way, what are your bikes' VINs and licence plates?  :cool:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, VARIABLE9 said:

Sure you could walk out and get a VIN if you get close to read it. That might raise suspicion.  But pulling a specific VIN for what your profile says is a 99 VFR from Platte City, MO is a very specific bit of information.  Guess you’ve never seen a fake title, fake VIN plate, fake license plate, fake registration, or fake drivers license?  Again, I said caution. I did not say paranoia. That’s your spin on it. 

Actually, no I've never seen any of those. Guess I don't hang around in the right(wrong) places.

And yes pulling a specific VIN for my profile will get you exactly what? And, again what will you do with it that you can't do with any

randomly acquired VIN's? I simply don't feel the risks exist in proportion to the concern.

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

Actually, no I've never seen any of those. Guess I don't hang around in the right(wrong) places.

And yes pulling a specific VIN for my profile will get you exactly what? And, again what will you do with it that you can't do with any

randomly acquired VIN's? I simply don't feel the risks exist in proportion to the concern.

Across three different lines of employment I have seen all these things. 

Feel free to believe in what you want, and take or don’t take whatever cautions you choose. These are your rights. 

No no need to have any more of a protracted debate about it. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, VARIABLE9 said:

Across three different lines of employment I have seen all these things. 

Feel free to believe in what you want, and take or don’t take whatever cautions you choose. These are your rights. 

No no need to have any more of a protracted debate about it. 

Right. I declare :beatdeadhorse:

• Member Contributer

A friend of mines Farther owned a salvage yard and saved the titles and vin plates for all the VW bugs and buses. Makes good money selling them to restorers. 

On 9/7/2018 at 6:55 PM, burnes45 said:

A friend of mines Farther owned a salvage yard and saved the titles and vin plates for all the VW bugs and buses. Makes good money selling them to restorers. 

Yup I've seen that. For when you have a good unit but want to cover its tracks... get a defunct number and voila!.

-Yes I did think twice about posting full numbers, but guess what, just about every ad I've seen by bike lots, they post the VIN. Whatever risk, or non-risk they incurred, I did. I do appreciate all the feedback. 

thanks!

Archived