Low mileage engine - head work?

Stray

• Member Contributer

Hello All, 

Just struck a deal to buy a 15k mile VFR800 1998 engine for my old 5th Gen and toying with the idea of working the head a bit before spooning it into the frame. 

Was thinking about maybe polishing the ports in the head and recutting valve seats. Maybe even harder valve springs or something. 

I know now it will never be an R1 or Hayabusa but the engine will be out and these bits easy to access (famous last words!). 

Would you you guys just lob the “new” engine in or would you work it over a bit first? 

Also, any idea what this sort of work might cost and a good recommendation in England? Ideally in the Midlands. 

Bike is going to be a weekend toy with maybe two trips to the track per year. Got Rapid Bike Racing fuel controller to go on along with some airbox mods (ala Mohawk, Keef, OZVFR and CandyRed). 

Not really sure sure where to go with this just now... 

What would you do? 

Stray

• Member Contributer

I remember reading that the quality of Honda cylinder heads means there is virtually nothing to gain from cleaning it up and any noticably gains would require major work.

• Member Contributer

Check the electrical system aka "the drill" (altenator, voltage regulator, battery), set up suspension (as best as you can with the OEM stuff) and ride ride ride!!!

Then, if you like what you bought, consider investing in upgrading the suspension.

Be ready every -equally gifted- rider on a R6, 675 and the likes will wupp your ass on the track...

:beer:

• Member Contributer

My experience with fifth gens (200,000 miles and counting) is that the engines are as reliable as the sunrise. My first went 105,000 mi before being KIA'd by a hooved forest rat. The engine was flawless the whole time. I took an oil sample before the fateful ride and results showed the engine was above average for it's age. The oil report is in my photo albums. Their final comment was "Nice bike." I'd be extremely reluctant to change anything.

4 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Check the electrical system aka "the drill" (altenator, voltage regulator, battery), set up suspension (as best as you can with the OEM stuff) and ride ride ride!!!

Then, if you like what you bought, consider investing in upgrading the suspension.

Dutchy's advice is right on. Ride!

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like I should just leave the lump alone. Might just do valve clearances and leave it be. 

As for suspension and electrics, I’m way ahead: 

Kawasaki ZX6R 2007 front end, Wilbers shock (all to my weight), Ducati 848 rear wheel going on this winter and bike is about 20kg lighter (swapping out the rear subframe and tail to Triumph 675). Also upgraded electrics with Suzuki TL1000 reg/rec and all new contacts. 

Was just wondering if I should trick out the “new” engine to match. If there are no real gains to be had it is not worth the effort. 

Thanks again, 

Stray 

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Mohawk said:

If you go to the Vforce site you can download the HRC RC45 head gas flowing diagrams. 

Cool idea.. 

• Member Contributer
On 12/16/2018 at 8:28 PM, Mohawk said:

If you go to the Vforce site you can download the HRC RC45 head gas flowing diagrams. 

Nice one Mohawk! Didn’t occur to me as didn’t even know there was such a site. 

Archived