Almost 2 years as a VFR Pilot: My Thoughts

VFR80025th

After close to 20 year hiatus from motorcycles I jumped back in and looked to buy what I always dreamed of having when i was younger,

25th Anniversary VFR 800 RWB

I wanted a totaly stock unmolested machine with low mileage.

I did one better, I found one with powder coated white wheels and brand new Pilot Road 4s.

Went to look at it and bought it for what I feel was a steal. $3600 US or $5000 Canadian witn 17400kms or 10875 miles.

I now have 27,000kms on it. No problems just sweet clean seamless VFour power and fun.

I`ve owned RZ`s, CBRs , GS`s etc but after owning a VFR : from its looks, sounds, high speed stability, refinement and all day comfort.

I can confidently say that for me this is by far the best machine I have ever owned by far.

I look at the current crop of bikes and there is nothing really that interests me.  Even the  8th gen VFR although the same mechanicals looks just boring compared to my RWB.

Its been a great 2 years back. I still can`t believe its a 2007. Most think I just bought it.

Keep the wheels down on the road and ride safe!

VFR_on_BIke.jpg

• Member Contributer

In all honesty, most bikes look boring compared to the RWB VFR, even other VFRs! The white wheels should have been stock on them too, it really makes the bike stand out even more. I’ll also agree, although I would take an 8 Gen over most of the other offerings in the ST class, I have a hard time even thinking about trading in my 6 Gen for one but maybe it’s because I’ve really bonded with mine.

I have a 5 Gen too and would also not trade this in for anything at the moment, apart from that ever elusive and unicorn V4/CBR model the Internet keeps spitting out the rumor mill.

• Member Contributer

Nice bike, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I also love the anniversary colorway, and the white wheels are the perfect choice for it. I am planning on keeping my 5th gen for the long haul, but I also love all the RW&B Hondas that we've gotten over the years (the '07 anniv, the VF1000R, VFR750R, VFR750F). 

• Member Contributer

25th, so many of us feel the same way as you.  VFR's are just ace, all generations.  The RWB scheme is excellent too, and the 6th gens need love as a lot frown on the V-tec, but they are as if not more reliable than their generational siblings.  I've had a 5th gen also and never should have sold it.  A common refrain as these bikes really spoil you for the vast majority of the street riding market.  Comfortable, can solo tour extremely easy, mods out the gazoogas and, oh by the way, you won't want to hit with an ugly stick like so many of it's current competitors. 

And the V-4.  Yumm. 

Aces

Dave

• Member Contributer

The observations / comments seem so common to riders who take up just about any gen of VFR - things like sounds great, comfortable to ride, pulls from low rpm, I never knew these were such great bikes . . . on and on.  It seems like the VFR somehow has(d) an image problem - one of the best kept secrets on two wheels.  Maybe the graphics weren't wild enough, the colors not loud enough, or it didn't have a racy enough riding position - whatever.    I'll never understand why more riders didn't see / appreciate how good these bikes are.  And yet once discovered they have such a loyal following.   I wouldn't give mine up for anything else, and yet when I show up at a bike gathering the reaction is sort of "meh, so what . . . "  That is of course until I thumb the starter and all heads turn in unison when they hear it . . .  I can't recall all the times I've gotten thumbs up from passerby - even female drivers and Harley owners.  And yet, the VFR is no longer with us new from the factory.  As someone else here said - sorry I can't recall who -  (I'm paraphrasing) the passing of the VFR from Honda's lineup felt like a death in the family. I have to wholeheartedly agree.   It reminds me of a documentary I saw about the final Space Shuttle flight - one of the technicians involved commented while watching it go the final time "there will never be anything else like it".  The same is true for the VFR - it's one of a kind. 

• Member Contributer

Love your bike and sentiments (everybody's).  Something about these Honda V4s.  

Man I want a 25th anniversary more than ever. 

• Member Contributer

Very nice story there VFR80025th. I really miss my 2007 RWB, and love the white rims, they look a lot nicer than the black I had. Once the VFR bug bites there's no going back. Enjoy your magnificent set of wheels, it's a real eye catcher.

Cheers. :wheel:

• Member Contributer

I bought my first VFR in 2004.  It was a 2002 with about 2500 miles on it.  As others have stated more eloquently than I ever could, I realized right away what a special bike this was.  Over the next several years I put about 15,000 enjoyable and trouble free miles on it.  Due to a financial decision, I sold it in 2012.  In 2015 I was ready to get riding again.  Though my experience with the VFR was near perfect, I decided I'd try something different this time around.  I had narrowed my list of potentials down to 5 bikes and was actively searching.  On a whim I typed "2002 VRR800" into the search bar of my local Craigslist just to see if anyone was selling the year/make/model bike I had ridden.  Lo and behold, one popped up not far from where I live...a beautiful red 2002 with ABS, and only 900 miles!  I made a ridiculously low offer and he accepted.  Honestly, I couldn't be happier.  It's 16 years old now but still looks like it just came off the factory line.  I have ridden many other bikes in the interim including brand new BMW's and Ducati's.  The VFR just feels like coming home.  My list is the same as everyone else's.  Stunning looks, beautiful exhaust note, near perfect ergonomics, easy to modify (which I have), rock solid dependability, etc.  I'll probably be keeping this one until I'm too old to ride.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, VFRbeliever said:

I bought my first VFR in 2004.

I'll probably be keeping this one until I'm too old to ride.

Oft quoted: You don't stop riding when you get old; you get old when you stop riding!

• Member Contributer

my next door neighbour has been a biker all his life from when he could legally ride and he had a 4th gen for 12 years and loved it, he would probably like to have a go on my one 

• Member Contributer
On 8/29/2018 at 1:22 PM, VFR80025th said:

Thanks everyone for chiming in.

Its nice to know I'm not the only VFR headcase in town. LOL.

I have had 20 years of VFRs ...Its just everytime that throttle is blipped and the sound and engine pull to revs, Its something like a direct electrical feed into some pleasure spot in the brain and the addiction gets tickled again. Even though I still have MBD and rotate around other bikes,  I will  also always will have the VFR disease of which once bitten, there is no cure except to crack that throttle of that V4! :beer:

Headcase enuff? :laughing6-hehe:

Archived