Burnt Chain?

2003vfr

I noticed this morning my bike was running strange. I could feel what seemed like a strain in the engine, in the foot pegs, especially when I decelerated in gear. The top part of the chain looks very black, and the bottom part looks light tan - see the attached picture. Not sure what this is. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

IMG_0591.JPG

• Member Contributer

Hi 2003vfr.

New chain and sprockets needed. That chain looks, dry, rusty and worn out. Have a good look at your chain guide and runners for excessive wear. How many miles has the chain done? Has it been adjusted correctly?

You may have picked up stone or some foreign object that might be wedged behind the drive sprocket cover that has caused the scraping marks on the chain plates.

If you keep your new chain well lubricated, clean and adjusted, it shouldn't ever end up looking like the picture. 

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

I guess there is a first for everything. 

I’d be interested in knowing how many miles is on the chain and what is the maintenance schedule. 

Is it adjusted correctly?

How does the countersprocket enclosure look?  Any rags mixed with dirt and caked lube stuck in there?  

• Member Contributer

Yuck-o. The shiny part of the chain could be caused by the swingarm protector being worn almost in two and the lower part of the chain

is rubbing on it. That chain is shot, and it looks like it is riding up on the sprocket so I would figure that it will need replacing too. Might as

well get the whole kit when you replace the chain.

That whole area of the rear wheel is way too clean. It doesn't look like that chain has ever seen any maintenance. It's too late for this chain, but

lube the next one and your bike will thank you.

• Member Contributer

+1 Also take a look at the sprocket; refer to the owners manual for a pic of worn sprocket teeth. The chain is truly toast. I be amazed if the sprockets aren't also. You'll be pleased at what a difference a new set will make in the machines performance. 

Thanks everyone for the great responses. Anyone have links showing how to get to the front sprocket? Also, I bought the bike a couple years ago so I’m not the original owner. Thanks again everyone!

• Member Contributer
50 minutes ago, 2003vfr said:

Thanks everyone for the great responses. Anyone have links showing how to get to the front sprocket? Also, I bought the bike a couple years ago so I’m not the original owner. Thanks again everyone!

You can easily download the full Service Manual for your bike from this site, removing the sprocket cover is not difficult.

Visit the Home page and scroll down to the downloads section. The 02 - 09 VFR service manual is there.

• Member Contributer

Certainly looks like that chain is at the end of its service life.

Good advice above, down load the service manual and read up a bit on chain maintenance/replacement. If you have some basic tools its not that hard to do, there are also many tutorials on how to do it on youtube.

Buy a decent o-ring or x-ring chain. D.I.D., RK and EK all make good chains. I'm sure there a  few more out there but these I know from experience. Stay away from non o-ring cheap Chinese stuff. Also buy a chain with a rivet instead of a circlip. A circlip is not a positive a link as a riveted link. Look online, a lot of companies offer chain kits, front and rear sprockets and chain. Your bike uses 530/110 link chain.

You will need to buy or borrow a chain breaker/riveter. like one of these. I have both, they both work just fine. If you know any guys who ride, ask around, I'd be surprised if someone doesn't have one sitting in their tool box. While at see if they have a torque wrench also so you can torque the sprocket bolts to spec.

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/stockton-chain-breaker-and-rivet-tool-kit

https://www.solomotoparts.com/DID-Chain-Cutting-and-Riveting-Tool/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping - Brands&msclkid=7ecd3293e85f1115d9c569148b90084c

Lastly buy some type of chain lube. I prefer chain wax, but there are lots of types out there. I tend to lubricate mine about every 500 miles or so, but I'm sure there is a spec in the manual.

Good luck.

After I posted this I had a quick look and found this tutorial on YouTube for changing a chain on a VFR. Its actually by a member of this Board. It covers pretty much everything.

Ok, so, thanks to all the help links posted here, I was able to get to the sprocket. Here's what it looks like. I noticed no play in the front sprocket at all. Still going to replace both. Lesson learned on chain/sprocket maintenance!!  

IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

18 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

When you replace that sprocket, slather up the splines good with antiseize. That is a mess right there.

I don’t understand this. 

19 hours ago, MadScientist said:

If you haven't already ordered a front sprocket, I (and probably others) prefer the OEM version with the polymer bumper.  Like the one shown here: http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/sprocket/JTF339RB/

Your current front sprocket is aftermarket.

OEM sprockets are way way quieter! On a quiet bike all you will hear when it goes by is sprocket noise if you run undamped ones. I prefer damped sprockets. 

• Member Contributer

With all the rust apparent under the clutch cover, there will also be a certain amount of rust on the countershaft sprocket shaft. Metal

to metal wear is not a good thing. Putting antiseize on the splines will keep the splines from wearing. Just good preventive maintenance.

I put a non-damper sprocket on my '99 and I don't notice any extra noise. But that's just me.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

With all the rust apparent under the clutch cover, there will also be a certain amount of rust on the countershaft sprocket shaft. Metal

to metal wear is not a good thing. Putting antiseize on the splines will keep the splines from wearing. Just good preventive maintenance.

I put a non-damper sprocket on my '99 and I don't notice any extra noise. But that's just me.

x2 on both of these thoughts. just say yes to anti-seize and I don't hear any noise from my non-damper front sprocket either.

• Member Contributer

Learned the hard way:

When I bought my current riding fifth gen, it came with an aftermarket front sprocket (unbeknown to me), without the rubber cushion. HispanicSlammer showed what happened after my speedometer stopped working on the way to SumSum3 as he fixed the problem. The thinner non-oem front sprocket required an adjustment to the vehicle speed sensor engagement nut, which fits over the countershaft bolt head.  When I had a new, wider OEM sprocket installed, the rookie installer did not properly re-adjust the nylon engagement nut cover (it was only loosely engaged when I rode it home from the dealer - it went out between MN and NE) hence I was always going zero mph. (Sometimes fun, until "But honest officer I really didn't know HOW fast I was going. These things are so smooth, 130 mph feels like 55 mph. Honest!) (And my handy calculator shows one gets zero mpg.)

On mine the shaft the nylon nut cover was mounted was poked through the nut to bring the cover closer to the countershaft bolt head and was not properly reoriented upon reassembly.

p.s. The shop owners were educated by me on the whole mess and compensation given. Still friends. I haven't seen the mech since.

Archived