Stolen recovered 95vfr Project

G'day, I have a couple of questions concerning my recently purchased vfr fs. {A bit of background} I bought it as a project which I will club reg in a couple of years but until then will have normal reg. Bike's ignition, petrol cap and helmet lock were damaged by the thieves the foot brake pedal was bent, all have been replaced, I was very lucky bike has done 60,000 k's and is running like a Swiss clock. Previous owner has dropped bike at one stage and damaged LHS mid fairing for which i'm still trying to source a replacement, for the meantime I have "Q Bond" it, awesome stuff. Bike also fitted with an Omrae slip on which sounds to good to be legal and have replaced with standard muffler for the RWC, I've also replaced mirrors and have just received front braided brake lines due to old line being damaged from rubbing against frame/fairing, not being a fan of the tail lights I have sourced a full set of clear lenses from Germany and a new screen from Poland. 

I think that's enough background now to the questions, does anybody out there have a black LHS mid fairing to sell?  Next question difficult to explain, I test rode bike around the block and was amazed at how smoothly and easily it revved out to 6k, but, and this is hard to explain, engine felt smooth but bike didn't it's like the thumping of the exhaust, I can't explain it, I've been riding the Blackbird daily now for 3.5 years completely different bike very smooth, I have no idea, just can't explain it??? anyway site looks great here's a few pics of the old girlIMG20180802102816.thumb.jpg.65c3099a2af755414a964dcdebbd05d6.jpgIMG20180802102923.thumb.jpg.30ac4039fb506456d6ea205c3e5de688.jpgIMG20180802102826.thumb.jpg.5f86ecfb7c0feac7d9ce299ac97d5373.jpgIMG20180804102608.thumb.jpg.3ace9d3add980e5785166ca2d1962477.jpgIMG20180826124010.thumb.jpg.70b298b1e975b927a02e6d4340f1793a.jpgIMG20180826145446.thumb.jpg.2e1f16e331a164617392a4388ed9f537.jpgIMG20180826145456.thumb.jpg.7c5ddffe6c137e3c56746242294523d2.jpgIMG20180826145437.thumb.jpg.9f537df6825e52c308f6336b208d6710.jpgIMG20180826124026.thumb.jpg.d3cd59d9db5aec09cc96c6284ffcc381.jpg

• Member Contributer

Nice work getting it back into shape. Perhaps a video with audio of the sound you’re experiencing might help, not that I’m one who has the answer but perhaps someone more knowledgeable of these things might be able to pin point it for you.

• Member Contributer

That cleaned up very nicely.  It's refreshing to see a 4th gen in a color other than red - very sharp! 

On this part - " engine felt smooth but bike didn't " - is that to say that you felt vibration or thumping in the chassis?  Or is it all an engine thing . . . ?  In other words, does it do this when revving past 6k in neutral and sitting still, or only going down the road?  As Duc mentioned - a video of it would be helpful.

On the fairing, It's probably easier to get a date with a supermodel than to find used 4th gen fairings in good / excellent condition.  There is though Airtech, who makes a fiberglass replacement for the 4th gen.  They're not terribly expensive however as explained in the description they do not mold in tabs to hold the grillework  in the duct or the rad shroud.  You do though have a decent condition OEM piece as a pattern for those and you might be able to find a way to cut the tabs from your existing fairing and bond them to the new one or fab ones from fiberglass and attach them.  At any rate, at least it's an option vs fairings that are in worse condition than yours. 

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/hondaz/VFR7501994-97.htm

Keep posting up on this - we'd love to see how it turns out.

• Member Contributer

Hi fellow Melbournian.

Nice job on the re-build, will be looking perfect if you can source that LH fairing. Not too sure of your riding issue description but here's a couple of thoughts. The VFR by nature won't be as turbine smooth as the inline four Blackbird. Check your chain tension, if it's too slack can make for a snatchy, clunky feel. Maybe also check and adjust your throttle cable freeplay, there might be too much of it. Otherwise as Duc2V4 said a video might help.

Good Luck.

Cheers :beer:

Cheers for the kind comments only have video with Omrae exhaust which phone does not pick up sound coming from exhaust {its very loud} and seems to highlight engine sound,

will post video on the weekend with standard exhaust, but at the end of the day i think i was expecting similar ride as il4, will go for a longer ride on the weekend and post thoughts, in the meantime here's a short video

• Member Contributer

Before you pass judgement, consider the mileage vs time with the carbs more than likely never being properly serviced.  That bike should give you a fairly warmer fuzzy, even after riding an XX regularly.   

But, damn, that XX rush is intoxicating.

And the bike looks great, love that generation.  

• Member Contributer

Unless it would get you in trouble with the law, I'd be inclined to leave the slip on in place - the 3rd and 4th gens may be the most delicious sounding of all them all with the right can on it. 

As for a 'Bird, I've been surfing Craigslist for several years for one.  The sleek design is almost as intoxicating to me visually as the viffer is by its sound.  I haven't ridden one but by all indications I've read they're buttery smooth and the big torque on hand must be so tempting . . . Like other Hondas of that era, the build quality is superb.   I've sat on a few and they do seem a bit tight in the cockpit for a taller rider - heli bars or similar and peg lowering blocks would probably go a long way toward helping that.  Too many bikes, too little time . . .

The Difference between the bird and the vfr is huge, in power, smoothness and size, the vfr feels small light and under powered in comparison, but ive only taken it around the block and noticed speed was higher than it felt and I think it revs out effortlessly, as for the slip on oh my my my first start up was truly inspiring, unbelievable sound, can't tell you how many times i sat down with a beer just listening to it idle, when I told the girlfriend I was taking it off to put a standard 1 on, response was a definitive "NO" but cannot imagine it being legal here in Oz, so all that being said and done slip on will be back on after rwc. As for the Blackbird I'm 5.10 and thought about lowering pegs but have grown used to it now so all good. my only complaint is sliding forward on the seat oh and very very stiff rear suspension which is great on good roads but not on, not so good roads. 

I originally wanted a 2nd smaller bike to use for work, shopping etc as I don't like leaving the bird out with no cover all day. I saw a GSX750f at the auction with a bit of fairing damage I was going to buy, but saw the vfr and bought that instead as a keeper, now I still need a work bike. Looking forward to a longer test ride on the weekend and posting thoughts. Cheers

Archived