Hard Starting

DaJokerBoi

Hi all, just picked up a 2005 model last weekend. It just had new oil and filter done by a mechanic. It hasn't been through the Honda recall of 2008 yet for the wiring harness. I'm not sure if this is electrical, mechanical or otherwise as these bikes are supposed to be pretty reliable. Mine has done 8,500 km so hardly anything since new, has been sitting around for a while.

For some reason, it's hard to start when cold. Warm it starts fine, performs fine. I have intermediate knowledge of motorcycle mechanics (I can fix most things) but troubleshooting is my weak point. Has anyone had this issue before and could suggest where to look? I could go over the whole bike but I just want to ride the thing not spend the next 3 months every weekend trying to find what's wrong with it (shouldn't be much with such low kms anyway you'd think!)

cheers, 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, DaJokerBoi said:

Hi all, just picked up a 2005 model last weekend. It just had new oil and filter done by a mechanic. It hasn't been through the Honda recall of 2008 yet for the wiring harness. I'm not sure if this is electrical, mechanical or otherwise as these bikes are supposed to be pretty reliable. Mine has done 8,500 km so hardly anything since new, has been sitting around for a while.

For some reason, it's hard to start when cold. Warm it starts fine, performs fine. I have intermediate knowledge of motorcycle mechanics (I can fix most things) but troubleshooting is my weak point. Has anyone had this issue before and could suggest where to look? I could go over the whole bike but I just want to ride the thing not spend the next 3 months every weekend trying to find what's wrong with it (shouldn't be much with such low kms anyway you'd think!)

cheers, 

Welcome fellow Melbournian. 

That is amazingly low k's for a 2005.

Are you saying when cold it doesn't crank over as fast compared to warm? Or it cranks fine when cold but just doesn't fire up? Your first thing is to verify the health of the Battery. If it's old and bike has sat for a while without riding, your battery may well be down on capacity, cold weather will hilite a dying battery. Otherwise, battery connections need to be clean and tight. Check this and get back with more info.

Also might be worth contacting Honda with your VIN number, they should be able tell you wether mods are up to date or needed for your bike. Hopefully is as simple as a new battery to solve your issue.

How about posting a pic of your new not so new ride.

Cheers from Sunbury.:beer:

5 hours ago, DaJokerBoi said:

cheers, 

Welcome!  I'm fairly new to the site as well.  I brought my new to me 2008 Interceptor to the dealer for a full service as there were no service records from the previous owner.  The tech at the dealer said a couple of my exhaust valves were tight resulting in the bike being harder to start than it should.  My bike has about 14,000 km though.  Hope you get your bike sorted.  Cheers!

Thanks guys. The battery is actually new, it was also replaced by the mechanic (sorry should have mentioned that). It cranks like normal it just doesn't fire for (my guess) around 5 seconds. To me that's a lot longer than a bike should take to start - even my old carby bikes are pretty much instant.

I actually took out all the plugs, they're still the OEM iridium. Bit black but I cleaned them up because I can't see how iridium plugs would be past their lifetime. It made no difference sadly, still took a few seconds to start up but goes fine once it's on. Bit puzzled by it, i wonder if it is the initial fuel pump prime when cold or something. 

And here she is...

40236484_10160815918620716_8297200998473007104_n.jpg

• Member Contributer

Nice looking bike. Do you always hear the fuel pump prime for about 2secs every time you turn on the ignition? Once cold started is the fast idle working correctly, then as it warms the idle settles down to 1200rpm?

One more question - What Octane Fuel are you currently running?

You are absolutely right cranking for five seconds isn't right

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum. Beautiful machine. You obviously have great taste in mc,s. Even in the fastest color.

Good luck sorting your issues.

Archived