Superhawk Firestorm

• Member Contributer

I have been thinking of getting a firestorm/superhawk at add to the garage. It looks to be a nice compromise for a reliable 1000 twin. Anyone with experience that could shed some light on their experiences? 

• Member Contributer

2 minutes ago, maxredline said:

been thinking of getting a firestorm/superhawk

I've had three VTRs over the years, mixed among the VFRs. Awesome but not perfect bikes. Lighter, more torquey, better handling than VFR750 or VFR800. Less range due to the small tank and worse fuel mileage.

Less comfortable than VFRs due to lower handlebars and higher pegs. You can swap on 'bars from any 1990-2001 VFR with a little modification, and there is only slight interference with the tank at full lock.

Early models sometimes suffered from vapour lock after refuelling. Also, the forks could pack down and lock up, though usually when braking on bumpy pavement. Later models had an improved instrument panel, adding a fuel gauge. Otherwise there were no non-cosmetic changes during the model run. Euro models apparently added a slightly larger fuel tank.

A set of Yoshimura RS3 give them a great sound.

LBD10836.jpg

• Member Contributer

I was out on my 1997 VTR just yesterday. I have rebuilt the forks (new springs and valving from DMr) and the front end is awesome, I also have a set of CBR954 calipers and master on there as I was not a big fan of the originals, plus an Ohlins shock. It is a great and relaxing handler now. Lorne is quite correct on the range/consumption and comfort, for me the high pegs are the main culprit and I don't find the upper body aspect too different to the VFR800, there's less room to slide around on the seat too. 

I love the engine in the VTR, it has none of the swiss-watch feel of the 800 but does have massive character and lopes along at any sensible speed, and is happiest from 4k upwards (which is 120 km/hr in top gear) but is running out of enthusiasm for more revs above 8k or so, but also never needs revving. The one reliability aspect to be aware of is the cam chain tensioners, which fail as they do on a later VFR800, but due to a single cylinder being controlled the results tend to be more catastrophic with bent valves a common outcome. A set of manual tensioners is the answer and good for worry-free riding, there are also cheap fail-safe mods that you can do to the OEM tensioner that prevent damage occurring when they fail. . 

IMG_1652.JPG

I had a 98 VTR and a 03 VTR in the past.. 98 was a salvage, converted to naked with front mount radiator, rode it for about 6k miles and sold it for a decent profit: 

80-picture_php_pictureid_3799_9f64fcebd1

My 03 was a flood salvage, waterline was 3/4 way up the wheels. Changed the oil like 5 times, cleaned out the rest of the bike, 

80-picture_php_pictureid_3776_5871977728

80-picture_php_pictureid_3860_85b192d7e9

Lowend torque of large displacement V-twin is very addictive. They have the largest set of carbs on production Hondas, as the RC51.. very thirsty... usually full tank of gas can barely get to triple digit miles if you ride aggressively. 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Terry said:

The one reliability aspect to be aware of is the cam chain tensioners

Well remembered, Terry. I forgot that, as a precaution, I'd changed my 2nd VTRs for a set from APE.

Great photo, by the way. I looks like a great road.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Lorne said:

Well remembered, Terry. I forgot that, as a precaution, I'd changed my 2nd VTRs for a set from APE.

Great photo, by the way. I looks like a great road.

Thanks Lorne, one of my favourites, Findlay Rd near Miranda. That lump of land in the distance is the Coromandel Peninsular, which is full of legendary roads like this and better, and only another hour away (and several tanks of VTR gas...).

Archived