5th gen brake mysteries

Hollowlefty

Hello alll! 

I recently picked up an absolutely trashed 99 vfr800fi for the princely sum of $800 via our mutual friend craig and his magical list.  It's ugly and needs a lot of love but runs well enough. 

Of all the many issues I've decided to address the brakes first but have run into a snag.  When purchased both front and rear brakes acted as normal despite being very spongey.  I went in for a brake bleed using a vacuum tool to be safe.  This is where it got weird, I was able to pump an endless amount of bubbles from both bleeders at the rear. That's when I figured air was getting around the threads so I made with the teflon tape and made sure not to overly loosen the bolts.  Actuating the levers seems to have no effect on the output.  After fiddling with this all afternoon I wound up with firmer front brakes and no rear brake whatsoever.  I'm at a loss to understand why my vacuum won't draw anything and why my rear pedal won't pump anything either.  Normally I'd assume the master cylinder was toast but it worked just fine before my attempt at a bleed.  Basically I'm at a loss and would appreciate some guidance.  Thanks in advance!

• Member Contributer

If you have not already, download the Honda Service manual for the 5 Gen (98-01) from the downloads section here on the forum. The brake bleeding procedure is in there and may give you some extra guidance. Although you’re close, my schedule isn’t conducive to popping down to SD anytime soon, or I’d volunteer to ride on down and help you out. Perhaps other knowledgeable members down in SD can be coaxed to lend a hand. I usually work for a few bottles of IPA...

+1 for the advice about the manual. The brake bleeding process is very specific, especially the part about removing the rear caliper and raising it. Remember also that the rear brake lines are v long and there's also the PCV thrown into the mix, so with all these bleed nipples, orders of business and messing about it's no wonder I took mine straight to Honda and got them to do it!! 

Good luck with it.

Thank you both for your response.  The manual did help, although my lack of a center stand prevented me from getting the rear caliper off my rear brakes are better, not perfect but better. 

Duc2v4 - Next time I'm behind the orange curtain I'll have to drop in to see what these bikes are supposed to look like.  I know my rolling junker is missing a lot of parts but since I'm new to these bikes I don't know what they are! Thanks again for your help. 

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum. You've obviously got great taste in mc's. You're in for a slog but when you're done you will have the best all-around motorcycle ever made IMHO. And you've come to the right place for help.

Good luck and good riding.

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Hollowlefty said:

Thank you both for your response.  The manual did help, although my lack of a center stand prevented me from getting the rear caliper off my rear brakes are better, not perfect but better. 

Duc2v4 - Next time I'm behind the orange curtain I'll have to drop in to see what these bikes are supposed to look like.  I know my rolling junker is missing a lot of parts but since I'm new to these bikes I don't know what they are! Thanks again for your help. 

No worries, just send me a PM if you think you’ll be in the area, if I’m home I’d be glad to show you the couple in my stable. Although I don’t have a center stand for you but if you’re here we can use my stands to get your wheels off the ground while you’re here.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2018 at 6:53 PM, Duc2V4 said:

No worries, just send me a PM if you think you’ll be in the area, if I’m home I’d be glad to show you the couple in my stable. Although I don’t have a center stand for you but if you’re here we can use my stands to get your wheels off the ground while you’re here.

Great! the funny thing is I picked up a used centerstand, unfortunately the @#$%^& PO put on a janky 'custom' exhaust that has no bung for it. For now it sits in my ever growing parts box as I try to fix many other things. Thanks again!

On 8/30/2018 at 1:55 PM, MaxSwell said:

Welcome to the asylum. You've obviously got great taste in mc's. You're in for a slog but when you're done you will have the best all-around motorcycle ever made IMHO. And you've come to the right place for help.

Good luck and good riding.

Thanks! It's gonna take a minute to fix all of the abuses this machine has suffered but I'm looking forward to a lot of quality miles

Archived