So I'm rebuilding my crashed Suzuki SV1000S.

Long story short; had a bad crash about 3 years ago on my 2005 SV100S and gave up motorcycles completely.  I T-boned a kid delivering pizzas who pulled out RIGHT in front of me (wasn't able to even brake - just jumped straight up in the air and managed to save my torso at the expense of my left leg and foot-both were broken efficiently).  I attribute the relative lack of damage to me from FULL gear (including Bohn Adventure shorts, Icon chest/back protector and knee/shin protectors).

Then I came to my senses last year and got back into riding with a robust vengeance.

Anyway, the bike was of course badly damaged with snapped front forks and crushed front end/wheel, battered tank, and other various wounds.  The pizza insurance company didn't want any part of my accident and sent me a letter saying they would not pay for storage at the salvage yard.  So I hobbled there and had it put on my trailer and took it out to my dad's farm where it sat until yesterday.

It's in my garage now torn apart and I'm slowly piecing it back together.  After I check the valves, stator magnets (SV1000S are notorious for throwing these around), and the transmission, I'll give a good cleaning (imaging what 3 years of sitting outside does to a bike) and see if I can get it running.

The first pic is the before, then after, and now.

Naked SV1000S 2.jpg

at salvage yard.jpg

WP_20180824_16_32_31_Pro.jpg

• Member Contributer

Welcome back to the best feeling in the world one can have (with one's clothes on :beer:)

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2018 at 9:21 AM, oldbaldsob said:

Long story short; had a bad crash about 3 years ago on my 2005 SV100S and gave up motorcycles completely.  I T-boned a kid delivering pizzas who pulled out RIGHT in front of me (wasn't able to even brake - just jumped straight up in the air and managed to save my torso at the expense of my left leg and foot-both were broken efficiently).  I attribute the relative lack of damage to me from FULL gear (including Bohn Adventure shorts, Icon chest/back protector and knee/shin protectors).

Then I came to my senses last year and got back into riding with a robust vengeance.

Anyway, the bike was of course badly damaged with snapped front forks and crushed front end/wheel, battered tank, and other various wounds.  The pizza insurance company didn't want any part of my accident and sent me a letter saying they would not pay for storage at the salvage yard.  So I hobbled there and had it put on my trailer and took it out to my dad's farm where it sat until yesterday.

It's in my garage now torn apart and I'm slowly piecing it back together.  After I check the valves, stator magnets (SV1000S are notorious for throwing these around), and the transmission, I'll give a good cleaning (imaging what 3 years of sitting outside does to a bike) and see if I can get it running.

The first pic is the before, then after, and now.

Naked SV1000S 2.jpg

at salvage yard.jpg

WP_20180824_16_32_31_Pro.jpg

Go get them phantom! Nice bike.;)

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, keef said:

A gixxer front end will fix that right up.

I have one complete if anyone needs one. 😀

2004/2005 GSXR600/750 - radial mc, ss lines, triples, forks, axle, wheel, cf front fender

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, squirrelman said:

with forks hit as hard as that i'd suspect cracks or other damage around the steering head bearing seats or a bent frame. 😭

That is a very valid observation and a concern I share.  I figured there had to be something wrong somewhere and to allay my fears,  I've gone over the bike very carefully.  The speed at which I hit the car was about 35 mph.  Fortunately, a lot of energy from the crash was absorbed by the front wheel (it completely shattered), the conventional front forks which bent at the weaker stanchions, the steering damper which had its mounting point bent, the front head which had a big gash in it and the mating surface for the valve cover, and the radiator and oil cooler.  Everything I've replaced easily attaches at the frame mounting points too including a used rear subframe.  Although not a guarantee that there are no microfractures somewhere, I haven't seen anything yet during my detailed inspections. 🙂

• Member Contributer

Congratulation on getting back in the saddle. Those pics of the wreckage made me cringe. Seems like you survived fairly well. No small task.

BTW: That's quite a quiver of riding machines.

Good luck with the rebuild and safe riding in the future.

4 hours ago, oldbaldsob said:

That is a very valid observation and a concern I share.  I figured there had to be something wrong somewhere and to allay my fears,  I've gone over the bike very carefully.  The speed at which I hit the car was about 35 mph.  Fortunately, a lot of energy from the crash was absorbed by the front wheel (it completely shattered), the conventional front forks which bent at the weaker stanchions.

i bought a wrecked GSXR at an auction years ago and found that the frame around the steering head bearings had gone decidedly oval-shaped.

14 minutes ago, squirrelman said:

i bought a wrecked GSXR at an auction years ago and found that the frame around the steering head bearings had gone decidedly oval-shaped.

Good info to know.  Thank you.

• 1 month later...

She's done!  Just got the state inspection done.

Stuff you can see include: Speed Moto fork mounted headlight clamps (eBay store), Emgo side mount cafe headlight, Buell Cyclone headlight fairing, Rizoma Dynamic mirrors, Pazzo levers, and Custom Dynamics Magic Spot Lights for my signals (also used these awesome lights for my brake lights and license plate light).

finished.jpg

finished 5.jpg

finished 1.jpg

finished 2.jpg

• Member Contributer

Your skills at rebuilding are evident and remarkable. Great Job.

Ride safe and have fun. In that order. :wheel:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Kudos to you for getting back on "the horse".  Hate to bring it up but it sounds like you had a strong basis for a civil lawsuit.  I hate that stuff but I also don't like stupidity.....

• Member Contributer

Congrats on the build and riding again, went through something very similar about 15 months ago, still not back in the saddle even though I did ride about 30 feet a few months ago. Unfortunately, mine was too far gone to rebuild, I saw it on eBay (at least parts of it) a few months ago and it saddened me, wish I could have rebuilt it.

On 1/4/2019 at 8:38 AM, Bent said:

Kudos to you for getting back on "the horse".  Hate to bring it up but it sounds like you had a strong basis for a civil lawsuit.  I hate that stuff but I also don't like stupidity.....

On 1/4/2019 at 7:47 PM, SamW said:

Congrats on the build and riding again, went through something very similar about 15 months ago, still not back in the saddle even though I did ride about 30 feet a few months ago. Unfortunately, mine was too far gone to rebuild, I saw it on eBay (at least parts of it) a few months ago and it saddened me, wish I could have rebuilt it.

Thanks guys!  Fortunately, I did get a nice settlement.  And thankfully, I healed well from my injuries.  The fear of riding after that crash was almost overwhelming.  But the biggest takeaway for me was that riding motorcycles provided so much joy to me that I was even more miserable without one.  Rebuilding the bike that I could have died on was extremely therapeutic.  Hopefully, you'll get back to riding a lot soon Sam.  Here's to motorcycles and living a fun and hopefully, long life!🥂

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, oldbaldsob said:

Thanks guys!  Fortunately, I did get a nice settlement.  And thankfully, I healed well from my injuries.  The fear of riding after that crash was almost overwhelming.  But the biggest takeaway for me was that riding motorcycles provided so much joy to me that I was even more miserable without one.  Rebuilding the bike that I could have died on was extremely therapeutic.  Hopefully, you'll get back to riding a lot soon Sam.  Here's to motorcycles and living a fun and hopefully, long life!🥂

I can relate to the ptsd after a serious crash. Kudo's to you both for giving it a shot. It just goes to show that once the thrill is in one's blood it is hard to resist.

Here in Back At you. 🥂

• Member Contributer

The last month or so the itch has come back, just not sure my leg is ready, not back to full strength yet, but I am planning to ride this spring. I had started a full restoration on an older bike just prior, so the mental rehab is finishing that project, and I think mental rehab is very important.  And like you, nothing i could do in the wreck, she crossed over into my lane, got me head on, slowish speed, I saw it coming.

• Member Contributer
On 1/6/2019 at 3:40 PM, oldbaldsob said:

I have PTSD from driving automobiles after having what should have been three fatal wrecks for me.  I WILL NOT drive near another cage and am uber defensive when driving.  At least on my VFR, I have the power to get away from anything on the road.  When there is no other vehicle around me, they can't hit me.  I also NEVER ride on city streets.  A motorcycle is purely rural recreation for me....not transportation.  Good luck healing up!  

Archived