Rear Axle Bearing Holder Pinch Bolt... Fell Out

chilito

I had just finished up a 900 mile trip. 07 handled everything. Stopped at my house to drop off some gear before heading to the garage to stash the bike. Fired it up again, put it in gear and the chain started hitting the center stand. It sounded as bad as it sounds. Anyway, I later discovered that the issue was not just a loss of tension, but a loss of the bolt that holds the tension. 

My question, at last: Is a replacement Rear Axle Bearing Holder Pinch Bolt just a drop-in part? Or is there some monkeying in the axle that has to happen to fully replace it?

Thanks.

• Member Contributer
30 minutes ago, chilito said:

I had just finished up a 900 mile trip. 07 handled everything. Stopped at my house to drop off some gear before heading to the garage to stash the bike. Fired it up again, put it in gear and the chain started hitting the center stand. It sounded as bad as it sounds. Anyway, I later discovered that the issue was not just a loss of tension, but a loss of the bolt that holds the tension. 

My question, at last: Is a replacement Rear Axle Bearing Holder Pinch Bolt just a drop-in part? Or is there some monkeying in the axle that has to happen to fully replace it?

Thanks.

Wow.  :ohmy:  We've had posts where the hub nut came off and the sprocket went missing - this is the first I can recall of losing the pinch bolt on the swingarm.  In addition to the wire loop that retains the rear caliper hose, there is also a washer that's part of the assembly that you'll need as well.  Nothing special about it - fit the hose retainer, washer and thread in the bolt.  It takes 54 foot pounds to tighten properly. 

For what it's worth, I did torque it to 54 ft/lbs the last time I adjusted the tension, so this is pretty baffling. If it had, ahem, self-extracted a few minutes (or hours) earlier, I would have been roasting on the side of the highway in full gear on a 92-degree day trying to figure out why god hates me. I won't say I was lucky until I've verified that the threads aren't stripped (not that I can conceive of how that would happen during a ride), but the timing was about as good as I could hope for. Thanks for the feedback - I ordered the clip, washer and flange bolt just to be sure I have everything in the assembly.

This is 350 miles before the bolt disappeared. 

Fun fact: an EZ-Pass attached to the brake fluid reservoir looks clever but does not get read by the scanners at toll booths, which tend to be on the left side of the bike.

moto.JPG

Archived