Honda Panniers AU $2008 Poorer

Philois1984

• Member Contributer

Just ordered stock panniers for my 2014 8th gen, cost way more than they should (as you all know) however I wanted the convenience and the looks. My wife is still shaking her head!! Looking at some posts regarding setting the one key cylinder sets😰 I am sure it will make sense when I have them in front of me. Will be around three weeks till I get them.

• Member Contributer

Good grief the complete touring package is less than that.  Panniers over here are £705 about 1200 $aus. 

https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/my-bike/accessory-brochures/_jcr_content/par1/textcolumnwithimagem_12/textColumn/richtextdownload_dab/file.res/HUK MC_HGA_VFR800F_AW_web_0418.pdf

Whoa...I think I paid 800 for the pearl white ones along with the two locks.  The good news on the locks, first one took an hour....second one, 

5 minutes.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Philois1984 said:

Just ordered stock panniers for my 2014 8th gen, cost way more than they should (as you all know) however I wanted the convenience and the looks. My wife is still shaking her head!! Looking at some posts regarding setting the one key cylinder sets😰 I am sure it will make sense when I have them in front of me. Will be around three weeks till I get them.

Hi Philois1984.

Just for info, the lock cylinders are a separate item, so 2ea would need to be ordered P/No 08M70-MJE-D01 additional to the cases. 

Did my own key matching and it helps if you're short sighted! It's fiddly, be patient, follow the instructions carefully. Record the tumblers you use to get the first lock to work then replicate the tumblers for the second. Whilst they are expensive, I've used the panniers a lot love the way they fit to the bike, so easy to fit and remove, never any leaks in rainy weather.

Just let your wife know they are great for makeup and hairdryer storage!:wub:

Cheers.

"Just take your time and work in a well-lit area. "

Be well rested, clear of mind, take your time, write things down and be systematic. Sit at a table comfortably, large white work area (put a sheet down or something).

I was very intimidated and am usually someone who loses patience an rushes and botches the job. I took my time, first one took a while. Second was super easy. Would not hesitate to do it again, was actually kinda fun!

Good luck!

• Member Contributer

That price included the two locks and $88 for postage. Thanks for the tips.

• Member Contributer

Also at current exchange rates that is around $1470 US. 

Another tip when doing the lock cylinders, Masking tape.

You have to do the full set of pins both sides. When you get one side right, you go to turn the cylinder over to do the other side, and the first side all drop out. So put a bit of masking taper over them to keep them in place. 

Then when you have both sides done, turn the cylinder so both sides are level, take the tape off, test with key, then into the barrel it goes. 

Archived