Is it OK to charge your battery while installed on the bike

VFR80025th

During the winter I use a trickle charger.

A few weeks ago I only rode once during the week so I usedmy trickle charger.

Pulled the seat off and left it for  2hrs.

Is it OK to do this or should battery be pulled. I had no issues.

Anybody want to chime in.

Thxs

• Member Contributer

I have installed the external connector plug which is permanently attached to the battery. When I need to trickle charge, due to long periods of no riding, I just hook it up and forget about it. I have done this with both my old lead acid battery and my new Lithium battery. I did have to change trickle chargers as you cannot continually trickle charge a lithium battery. My trickle charger is made by CTEK

• Member Contributer

I have a similar set-up to Marooncobra; I have a connector directly wired to the battery (love the Motobatt brand with  an extra pair of terminals) that I use to power heated grips and voltmeters on my bikes, and that I can connect to an external trickle charger when I get the urge. I would not use a fast charger on a battery within the bike as if that went wrong you could possibly boil acid out and cause corrosion, but a trickle charger is fine. 

• Member Contributer

+1 for riding more. But I'm guilty too.

I've had weeks-long periods of not riding or even starting the machine. Still starts every time with no problems. The only time I even think about it is during the winter months (~Dec - Mar). There was a winter a while back during which I rode nearly once a month, usually nearly a one-month lay-up, and the machine would fire up having sat sans charging. I do replace my battery every three months. Our winters have been becoming milder. (Summers are getting down right HOT - 90s+ Sigh).

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

+1 for riding more. But I'm guilty too.

I've had weeks-long periods of not riding or even starting the machine. Still starts every time with no problems. The only time I even think about it is during the winter months (~Dec - Mar). There was a winter a while back during which I rode nearly once a month, usually nearly a one-month lay-up, and the machine would fire up having sat sans charging. I do replace my battery every three months. Our winters have been becoming milder. (Summers are getting down right HOT - 90s+ Sigh).

Hi MaxSwell.

Am I hearing you correctly "I do replace my battery every three months", mate, I've never heard anyone needing to do that. A good quality battery charger maintainer for AGM type batteries will end up saving you a fortune. Just pop it on for a while during those long cold periods of no riding. With the right care the original Yuasa AGM type battery will last for many years.

Safe riding MaxSwell.

Cheers.:beer:

I keep my bikes on a battery tender when they sit for a few days.    Never had an issue with keeping a bike on the tender.     

• Member Contributer

By no means am I advocating against battery maintainers. That is a completely sane strategy. It may well be that I'm just lazy or forgetful about using them.

I do keep a portable jump-start battery with me always; as a backup. I've needed to use it several times when I leave my ignition on accidentally (when the engine is over 220F) when I leave it on to run the fan to cool the coolant; after a minuet or so, I restart the engine and the engine temp drops to ~210F.    

• Member Contributer

I do not have a battery tender so the only time I put it on a charger is when it won' start.  I leave the batteries on the bike and hooked up when I charge it and there has never been a problem.  The bike (2006) is on its third battery, but it has over 212,000 km on it so I have no complaints on what I get from the batteries with the way I charge it when it is in need.

• Member Contributer

For the last 5 years, I have had a lithium Iron Phosphate battery on the viffer. - I replaced with my 2nd one at  the 4th year... -- Charging? What's that? - The only main care I do is pull it off the bike in the winter time and set it on my desk...  reinstall in spring. (YRMV)

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, mello dude said:

For the last 5 years, I have had a lithium Iron Phosphate battery on the viffer. - I replaced with my 2nd one at  the 4th year... -- Charging? What's that? - The only main care I do is pull it off the bike in the winter time and set it on my desk...  reinstall in spring. (YRMV)

+1

Archived