Sat nav/phone mounting

anth85

I know this has been done a lot and there is a long thread on it at https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/83930-sat-nav-mount/

I am just wondering if there is anything newer that raises it up a bit. It looks to me like the options are a yoke mount, mounting to the two tank bolts or clamping to the handle bars. I look at them and none look right to me. The yoke and tank bolts look too far back, it looks like you'd be taking your eye off the road for too long rather than a quick glance. The handle bar clamp looks massive and like it would get in the way.

Has anyone managed to fit one above the instrument panel but below the windscreen?

Also now with the wireless charging being more popular has anyone DIY'ed in a coil into a waterproof case to save on you having to plug the phone in, just drop it in the case, shut it and the phone is on charge. Something like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Qi-Wireless-Charger-PCBA-Circuit-Board-Coil-Wireless-Charging-Micro-USB-Port-DIY-/192058072543

• Member Contributer

Hi anth85.

As far as the GPS is concerned, I really do like this RAM mount arrangement. Its the perfect height, doesn't obscure the main instruments, AND with the GPS removed, the mount does not interfere with raising the Fuel Tank to the maintenance position, I definitely did not want to use the tank bolts for any mounting arrangement so as to not make raising the tank a pain in the butt.The trouble with trying to fit one under the windscreen is possibly the lack of ease of removal so it doesn't get stolen. I can remove mine in a split second, pop it in my pocket then leave the bike.

Had this mount originally on my 6gen and have now moved it to my 8gen.

Sorry, but know Jack Sh@t about wireless charge systems for phones on motorcycles. I enjoy getting on the bike to be away from F... ing phones.

Cheers.

P1010134.JPG

8 minutes ago, Grum said:

Hi anth85.

As far as the GPS is concerned, I really do like this RAM mount arrangement. Its the perfect height, doesn't obscure the main instruments, AND with the GPS removed, the mount does not interfere with raising the Fuel Tank to the maintenance position, I definitely did not want to use the tank bolts for any mounting arrangement so as to not make raising the tank a pain in the butt.The trouble with trying to fit one under the windscreen is possibly the lack of ease of removal so it doesn't get stolen. I can remove mine in a split second, pop it in my pocket then leave the bike.

Had this mount originally on my 6gen and have now moved it to my 8gen.

Sorry, but know Jack Sh@t about wireless charge systems for phones on motorcycles. I enjoy getting on the bike to be away from F... ing phones.

Cheers.

thanks

So you don't find it too low to look at? I'll use my phone as the sat nav. It's waterproof, but I'm just not sure the best way to do it. I had thought something like this that clips open

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IPX8-Motorcycle-Bike-Phone-Holder-Waterproof-Case-Handlebar-For-iphone-8-Samsung-/223029091339

the wireless charging coil would be mounted into the back of that so would keep the waterproof aspect.

• Member Contributer

I use the Ram mount for the tank bolts, and don't understand how it would interfere with lifting the tank. You have to take the bolts

out to raise the tank anyway, so how would the mount make it a hassle?

I think mounting the device above the dash would interfere with forward vision a bit. With a Ram mount like the one shown, or the one

I have, the height of the device can be altered and also moved closer to the rider if so desired. I have my GPS power plug hard wired to

the bike.

I don't know anything about wireless phone charging so can't comment about that aspect. You could hard wire the power plug for your

phone, but I've read about some people having the USB port fail caused by the vibration of the bike. But I don't know that for a fact.

3 minutes ago, VARIABLE9 said:

RAM Mount with a tall riser FTW. 

Here it is on the longer double ball socket arm thing:

That looks like it totally blocks the dash?

• Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, anth85 said:

That looks like it totally blocks the dash?

Negative. 

It’s right below line of sight to dash from where I sit. 

Plus it’s a double socket so you can angle back to front front to back to clear tank bag and ensure line of sight to dash. 

1 minute ago, VARIABLE9 said:

Negative. 

It’s right below line of sight to dash from where I sit. 

Plus it’s a double socket so you can angle back to front front to back to clear tank bag and ensure line of sight to dash. 

thanks, any chance you could take a photo of it in a seated position to get more of an idea of it? It's difficult to tell from the side. I know im asking a lot.

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, anth85 said:

thanks, any chance you could take a photo of it in a seated position to get more of an idea of it? It's difficult to tell from the side. I know im asking a lot.

I can later today, I’m not near the VFR right now. I had taken that last photograph previously. 

Just now, VARIABLE9 said:

I can later today, I’m not near the VFR right now. I had taken that last photograph previously. 

yea i didn't expect you just jump up and go and do it now, just next time you get a chance. 😚

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, anth85 said:

yea i didn't expect you just jump up and go and do it now, just next time you get a chance. 😚

Sorry I didn’t have the GPS mount handy, hopefully this helps for perspective. Camera is right at eye level in riding position. 

42E36AB3-BFEA-412D-AD66-9958B802C386.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, this my setup in the UK with an iPhone 7 Plus, I use Waze or TomTom, it’s connected to Bluetooth headset for comms and music aswell.

I used to have a cheap usb socket from eBay but found the phone battery would still drain during a days touring, cheap chargers could not keep up, I always thought it was a problem with cheap charger cables. I now have the Oxford USB charger which is great, temporarily fitted here but will probably relocate it. Now when I go out phone will stay on 100% charge all day. Mount is the 19mm Ram ball in the headstock with no extension and an Ultimate addons case, which I can also quick disconnect for a waterproof one.

417F1003-0A38-411D-BD6F-F80A311F3A94.jpeg

F4FCC2FD-A1F7-4E83-943A-CB78CB0E2961.jpeg

• Member Contributer

I don't trust "bicycle" mounts, but then I'm not a very trusting person to begin with!

I've used Ultimate Addons stuff, and it seems fairly robust (not sure if it's available in the 'States?)  I like their low-profile 1" ball socket mount for some applications (it is compatible with 1" RAM components).  RAM sets the standard: I don't think I've ever broken one--and I've used them in tough environments for something like 20 years.

The problem with longer RAM arms is stability, but with lightweight things like phones it's not too bad.

For things you're likely to look at whilst riding, the higher the better.  Above the dash, if possible. However, the only bike I've been able to do that was on my ST1300 Pan European.  

Wireless charging is a good idea.  Implementing it might be complicated...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Mount high is possible but never looks that stable to me and tbh, if it's so high that it is in your field of view, you may be tempted to look at it when you should be looking ahead whereas if it is lower, you have to make a conscious choice to look down and with a bit of self-discipline and self-training, you can do that at appropriate moments. Don't forget, if you have a BT headset, you can also choose to listen to instructions which minimise the number of times you need to look down too.

Both my bikes have low mounts.  :beer:

Archived