Grinding gears

Rollos

I installed the Honda quickshifter about 300 miles ago and now I've had a few instances where the shift from 2nd to 3rd grinds, and I mean grinds..

Either I don't know how to use this thing or there's an issue. Any idea what's going on?

• Member Contributer

First off check that you are using it correctly.

You need to hold the throttle open while you give the shifter a firm and quick push into gear.

Quick shifters work better at higher revs, if you are changing gears at 3000rpm you are better off using clutch.

If this is the way you do it and it's grinding, than there is a problem.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Rollos said:

I installed the Honda quickshifter about 300 miles ago and now I've had a few instances where the shift from 2nd to 3rd grinds, and I mean grinds..

Either I don't know how to use this thing or there's an issue. Any idea what's going on?

That sounds terrible, should never be any grinding. The 8gen has one of the smoothest gearboxes ever. Have you tried unplugging the quick shifter and see what normal shifting is like. Almost sounds like the ECM is not managing the shift throttling/ignition as it should, make sure the Quickshifter microswitch is working properly. The Quickshifter is only for up shifts - sorry if I'm stating the obvious!

12 minutes ago, fink said:

I would put it down to operator errors. you need to really be accelerating when using it.

I don't agree, I use it at all revs and speeds, never had a problem. You do need the throttle open when changing though.

I think maybe it is not adjusted correctly.

I'm hoping it's just adjustment. I had it installed by a shop I can't be sure they went by the install instructions or just by experience. I have been shifting open throttle above 1500 rpm which means it should work without grinding. Only thing I could think of that I could have contributed is I might have move the selector too slowly and missed the cut off

• Member Contributer

Slow shifting is the commonest user fault with all quick-shifters, it's in the name ....

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Rollos said:

I'm hoping it's just adjustment. I had it installed by a shop I can't be sure they went by the install instructions or just by experience. I have been shifting open throttle above 1500 rpm which means it should work without grinding. Only thing I could think of that I could have contributed is I might have move the selector too slowly and missed the cut off

Shifting above1500?

The thing idles at 1300, it's a V4 mate, use it where it was designed.

My bike rarely spends any time bellow 5000, even in traffic (Except for 1st gear). 

• Member Contributer
4 minutes ago, VFROZ said:

Shifting above1500?

The thing idles at 1300, it's a V4 mate, use it where it was designed.

My bike rarely spends any time bellow 5000, even in traffic (Except for 1st gear). 

Agree--- rev it!

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Rollos said:

Hi Rollos.

I don't have a Quickshifter, but I can imagine that once the ECM sees the Quickshifter switch activated it will instantly off load the engine either by ignition, fuel or both. Do You Notice This? If not then there may be an issue with the switch, plug or wiring back to the ECM.

Make sure the Quickshifter is properly plugged into the wiring loom. It wouldn't be the first time a technician may have been distracted and possibly forgotten to electrically connect the thing! Also probably a good chance he may not have test rode the bike.

Take your left fairing off and check it's plugged in, be easy to run an ohm meter check for switch ops while your at it.

Just a thought!

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, Stevewils said:

I don't agree, I use it at all revs and speeds, never had a problem. You do need the throttle open when changing though.

I think maybe it is not adjusted correctly.

Nothing to adjust apart from the lever height, it works out of the box( or should do) .   

There is a fault finder on the back page of installation instructions. If you don’t have them you can download them from powersports Honda. 

Yes slow shifting may cause a missed gear. 

Archived