New to VFR

despicabledan

Hello all,

New vfr owner here. I picked up my black 2006 abs model a couple weeks ago and I've been enjoying it.

I wanted a vfr for a long time and since getting mine I've been trying to gain as much knowledge as possible.

So far I removed the pc3 usb that the bike came with in favor of a pc5 with autotune. I have previously installed this setup on my vtwin cruiser and it made me a fan.

Bike is approaching the 32k mark, so I plan to remove and refurbish the chain tensioners, which doesn't look too difficult based on my YouTube viewing. Also was a little curious if anyone's just opted to just install a manual tensioner so they don't have to mess with it again??

My cruiser is a Kawasaki mean streak.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=2f13eb558190e64dimageproxy.php?img=&key=2f13eb558190e64d

IMG_20180811_135557204.jpg

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum. You obviously have great taste in mc's. You've come to the best place for Honda V4 inspiration, motorcycle-riding-story lies, bovine droppings and other assorted kool stuff.  

I'm still on the original tensioners at 66k miles. You may want to pick up a spare stator, as they tend to go out at around 50k. I've had to replace mine twice already.

• Member Contributer

Talking of Lamb its still Barbie weather here:)

Welcome you will get all the help you need to keep it running smooth right here.

• Member Contributer

Ditto on the above - nice find.  Also agreed on the "stator before CCT's" - we had one at Custer in July go out  with very similar mileage to yours (replaced in the field by some very determined members - see the "SumSum3" thread ).  Some only make it 20,000 miles or less, so it's probably on borrowed time. 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Urbanengineer said:

What’s the permanent solution?

Apart from trading up to an 8th gen, don't know that there is a permanent fix for all the 6gen electrical gremlins.

It seems a proven fact that virtually all the stators fail in the same section of the windings, just so happens that this section of winding sees the least of any oil spray. The 8gen now has a forced oil spray to help dissipate heat from the stator, apart from other electrical improvements.

Honda has finally done a great job with the 8gen in sorting out the electrical issues that plagued earlier VFR's.

Cheers. :beer:

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Urbanengineer said:

What’s the permanent solution?

For the most part treat the 6th gen stator as wear item like brake pads, etc.  I figure to replace mine every 20,000 miles or so.  I've used Custom Rewind and have been very happy with their work.  One fifty for a stator is a lot cheaper than a tow, hotel room etc if it leaves me stranded somewhere.

On replacement, some wire or strong cord will be needed to pull the wiring and connector through (or more precisely the new connector back through the other way).  It can be a real beotch to get it.  A helper might be useful in working it back and forth under the thottle body.  It might take some patience to get it.  One might say it's an almost diabolical design by Honda . . .

edit - I might add that when using Custom Rewind, you can specify more wire length and any type of (or no) connector if you want.  That gives you lots of flexibility to use any system you want to connect it to the R/R.  I used Posi-locks - that allows me to easily make repairs in the field and with extra wire if I have an issue I can pull a bit more through and bypass any suspect wiring.  I've used that setup for over 10,000 miles with zero issues.  It also made pulling the wire through much, much easier. 

• Member Contributer
On 21 August 2018 at 2:09 AM, despicabledan said:

Also was a little curious if anyone's just opted to just install a manual tensioner so they don't have to mess with it again??

It may be a personal thing but I won't have a bar of a manual tensioner! There is a fine line between over and under cam chain tension, either could lead to serious engine damage. Also, with the manual version there is no automatic take up of tensioner wear or chain stretch, so you would most likely need to re adjust it again in time. I don't find it too big a deal to have to replace the OEM CCT once in a blue moon. You do get plenty of warning a CCT needs replacing with the clatter symptom, and it doesn't mean the CCT requires instant replacement, more like replace ASAP.

Thats a nice looking Black 06, welcome to the mad house and enjoy your new wheels.

Cheers. :beer:

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi ,learned ones

i too have recently joined after picking on 08 with 50000k a nice tidy bike and a pleasure to ride. I believe it had stator battery and RR replaced but it looks like ill have get under her dress to check for blue connectot and yellow connector.

hoping for a less frustrating time some of you have seemed to have

years ago i had an 82 Vf1000 and although it sounded like a deisel that V4 rhymn was hyptonic

thanks in advance for the wisdom i have already picked up

phil.

• Member Contributer

Cool, congrats and welcome. 

From my limited experience and reading here, later year models had fewer problems due to Honda changing some of the wiring. The post recall years. However that doesn’t mean people may not have upgraded components proactively.  Always good to take a look, inspect what you expect. 

Archived