VFRustrated as H3LL electrical problems done the drill, resutls

coldrider

Yes I know there are a thousand comments about the electrics on this bike and I have found great info in the past. This time I'm out of time and patience.  

2005 VFR800 ABS

VFRNESS installed, recall completed, new battery

stator and r/r replaced previously.  

Symptoms are similar to everyone else, no light problems. intermittent battery fails to charge. crispy main fuse b wire and hot VFRness fuse.  

I have tested the wires themselves and all seems fine.  

OK, 

Here is the drill

Volts

Idle-14.41

5000-14.41 ??

Stator (Engine off)

A-B .3

B-C .2

C-A .3

Stator to ground

All infinity

Stator Engine On

Idle

A-B 19.XX

B-C 19.XX

A-C 19.XX

A-B 73

B-C 72

A-C 68

R/R (following this video)

positive to Stator

A 1.68

B. 1.68

C 1.68

Neg to Stator 

A .434

B .434

C .422

Reversed leads

Neg to Red

A .429

B .433

C. 434

Neg to green

A OL

B OL

C OL

I have a new stator and R/r and battery harness on their way.  Would like to do fewer things than more. One week until 5 day trip. 

• Member Contributer

The only thing immediately coming to mind might be the main ground from the battery negative cable up to the frame under the tank.  If you have hot components (too hot to touch) there's resistance somewhere - grounds are easy to overlook. Oxgard can go a long way to helping with that.  I separated just about every connector on my '08 and treated all the pins with it - including all fuses.  No problems at 30,000 miles (knock wood). 

fd72e8bf-c882-4930-8d9c-79daec381d1b?_mz

• Member Contributer

I agree with Cogswell, heat is indicating areas of unusual resistance, maybe between the fuse blades and holders. If there was high current, the fuse would blow, so unusually high resistance due to corrosion would be my suggestion. Even between wires and their crimped connectors.

• Member Contributer

That's a crispy critter for sure.  I'm not expert to specifically answer your question - however if that were mine I would cut that fuse holder out of the circuit and solder in another.  They're readily available at auto parts stores.   There's nothing magic about Honda's - any holder compatible with the fuse type will work.  It looks like the wire being held might be 12ga - that's what I would get in a replacement.  If you wanted, you could probably salvage the small connector on the other wire by by cutting close to the fuse holder and splicing the new holder to it - that would retain a mostly stock set up.  Some shrink tube would make for a clean install.   Unless you can get the wires out of the connector to inspect them, as Terry points out there's a good chance that the wire and connector blades inside the housing are corroded and you'll continue chasing this problem until they're eliminated.  I don't know where Oxgard is available in Canada (Ace Hardware in the US)  - if it's not available I do recall seeing a functionally equivalent product called Noalox at Home Depot. 

Thanks. tomorrow I will be picking a new battery harness to replace this whole assembly.  If that is the fix I'll send back my OEM R/R and stator.  A trip to home depot is also in my immediate future.  Thanks guys.  Any other ideas are welcome. I've been hoping I don't have to cancel my trip.  

Tightwad.  Yes that was me that sent you a question about the vfrness fuses. 

OK I switched the battery harness out and have the bike running right now.  The fuse B holder is warm. I can hold it all day without it getting uncomfortable.  Is this OK?  

• Member Contributer

It should be.   The heat needed to discolor the old fuse holder would probably have burned skin or at least been painful.   Once the Oxgard is on hand,  I would go over each connector, ground and fuse with it.  A tooth pick will do to apply it, though I use a dental tool with a flat blade that works well.   

Archived