Intermittent start, now no low beams (but high beams work) ?

rhoderage

• Member Contributer

2002 VFR non-ABS.  In great shape, ~40k miles, love it.

I started having an issue with intermittent starting a month ago. 

• Sometimes I press the starter button and it starts perfectly as normal
  • Sometimes I press the starter button and the headlights dim and nothing happens, no attempt to start or grinding or anything
  • Fuel pump primes properly, no issue there.  Bike runs 100% when it starts.

I went to the battery area first.  Battery is confirmed fully charged on a Tender Jr.

• Had the recall done maybe ~4 years ago, front and main harness replaced and the battery cables as well under warranty as it was all burnt/crisped up.  Replaced the battery 2 years ago, but basically did NOT ride last year and just maintained the battery on a tender.
  • I replaced the starter relay (OEM honda) and crispy red wire and melted burgundy cover around that same time
  • VFRNess and Ricks R/R (mine was OEM) from Tightwad added at the same time, and went through all connectors on the bike. 
  • Voltmeter added, wired direct from the battery, bike runs a steady 14.5 driving with no fluctuations. 
  • I've never touched the stator though I did solder the wires directly to R/R when it was installed (connector there had already been removed by PO)

I found this corrosion now and cleaned it up:

• 20180720_161113.thumb.jpg.8a818ca75298fa2bf13e2d9a1fe6f8fc.jpg

Still intermittent start.  All other connections at starter relay and associated wiring and fuses right there are good by inspection.

Now, out of the blue, yesterday my low beams don't work when I start the bike.

• Bike turned on, no low beams.  Press starter, whether it starts and runs or not, no low beams
  • Flick the high beam switch, they work perfectly.
  • Pulled the bulbs today, they both look fine. 
  • Tracing the wiring back, first connector (red) looks fine
  • 20180818_065914.thumb.jpg.e20bc9cd08e4bff2cba5754085e41292.jpg

I opened up the starter switch area:

• 20180818_073409.thumb.jpg.6f4494f80a1979a30be9b0f9a22215f7.jpg
  • imageproxy.php?img=&key=2f13eb558190e64d20180818_073317.thumb.jpg.067eb05aa2a6d4f4cbd32ce7c01a4655.jpg

I'm going to take the battery in to be load tested shortly.

Also going to pick up some contact cleaner and go through all the connections on the bike and ensure we are good. (its been probably 2-3 years since I have)

Check the low beam relay I suppose (I have a multimeter) and do the drill just because you do the drill

Any thoughts? 

Are the low beams just a coincidence? 

Does my starter switch contact look bad, I've never cleaned contacts before?

I'll take anything you've got; I hate to have the bike out of service in the summer but I need to fix this so I don't get stranded with a no-start 🙂

• Member Contributer

It seems like you're going down the right path, methodically eliminating possibilities.  Once the battery is known good that's one less thing. If you haven't yet, the main ground for the battery negative cable could be checked - it's under the tank.  Sketchy grounds can do weird things - like conduct small amounts of current, but prove incapable of passing a large amount through - reminiscint of the symptoms you're having.  Oxgard is a great way to rejuvenate connectors / grounds, as it's conductive and prevents corrosion.  Also, the starter relay could be suspect - you should be able to hear it click even if the engine is not turning over when the starter button is pressed.  If not, further investigation sounds warranted.  Best of luck with it. 

• Member Contributer

I had a similar situation with my headlights not working. The starter switch has additional contacts that isolate the low and hi beam lights while the starter is activated. When you release the starter switch it should remake the contacts re energising your headlight relay.

The starter switch can become intermittent due to dirt, moisture etc. Give the switch a good spray of WD-40, exercise the switch and it should be ok.

Also - Is the Yellow/Red wire and the Blue wire on your starter switch properly connected to the switch? The two Blacks look fine but behind them the other two wire look a bit suspect in your picture! It's hard to tell.

The Fuel Cut, Engine Stop, Hi and Lo Beam Relays are all the same type. You could swap the Lo Beam Relay with any of the others for fault finding.

Good Luck.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

Seems I have the problems solved, appreciate the advice here.

Starter - The switch was binding/sticking; opened the case and sprayed heavily with contact cleaner while working the switch.  Blew it out w compressed air then WD 40 and the switch is smooth as silk, activating properly with no binding or sticking. 

20180818_073409.thumb.jpg.05ad3234b18a873387b01b10871e91bc.jpg

The battery cable attachment on the starter itself was corroded; the rubber cap had split and let in the elements.  I cleaned it all up and put back together, smothered in dielectric grease. 

20180824_153807.thumb.jpg.def6c0ceef84476a73318ee410d22566.jpg

Headlights - the intermittent start problem had existed for a while, but the low beams suddenly going out of commission meant i had to dig in.  The bulbs were good, the connections were good, I went through most connectors on the bike as its been maybe 2 years, everything was clean and tight, no issues.  I swapped the relays, high beam in for low beam, turned the key and voila (aka wtf?!), the low beams are on!  Did not expect that.  Could my sticking starter have somehow blown out the low beam relay, or is it simply coincidental timing?

Starter is working seamlessly again.  Low beams are all I need for my regular riding, until I replace the relay for the high beams.  Bike is together again and ready to ride!

If anyone has a spare headlight relay you'd sell on the cheap please send me a PM

20180826_113730.thumb.jpg.b11a5258e2a5c93ce9804bb158609761.jpg

• Member Contributer

Cleaning the contacts is step one.  Step two is protecting them from corrosion.  You should also slather them with dielectric grease.

As Grum says, the typical US Honda starter switch is also a headlight circuit switch--it cuts out the always-on headlights lights when the starter is engaged to assist with starting.  Cleaning that switch could easily have cured the intermittent headlight problem as well.  Not sure about the relay, but swapping them was the correct way to isolate the problem.

Ciao,

Archived