Added a 2008 VFR 800 to the stable

oldbaldsob

New member here and thought I'd post up.  I recently bought a real nice 2008 Interceptor (non ABS) with about 22,000 miles on it but you wouldn't know it by looking at it or riding it!  Since I got for a real good price, I thought I'd just go ahead and splurge on maintenance since the guy I bought it from had no maintenance records at all and there weren't any listed when I ran the VIN check on it.  Took it to the local Honda dealer and had everything done to it.  They said a couple of exhaust valves were tight resulting in it being harder to start than it should.  Anyway, I immediately put T-Rex frame/axle sliders all around at the dealership when I picked it up (BIG believer in frame sliders).  The only other mods I've done so are an SAE Optimate charger battery attachment, reflective silver rim tape, and a Competition Werkes fender eliminator since the bike already had the mud guard removed and I just didn't like how that looked.  Also, it came with Throttlemeister bar ends so that was pretty cool.  Looking forward to getting the know the bike and learn more about it here.  Cheers!

WP_20180817_10_38_38_Pro.jpg

WP_20180817_12_34_09_Pro.jpg

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the big-house! I have the same bike, it is mechanically and electrically stock, except for some suspension mods, and it has been without faults.

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

Nice.  You might want to check out the condition of the stator - I changed my '08's at 18,000 miles and it was looking pretty crispy.  A voltmeter is not a bad idea on a 6th gen to keep an eye on things.

By the way - what does that attachment on the rear hub do?  I've seen those previously - as in the current featured photo - but am not familiar with them. 

Thanks

9 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Nice.  You might want to check out the condition of the stator - I changed my '08's at 18,000 miles and it was looking pretty crispy.  A voltmeter is not a bad idea on a 6th gen to keep an eye on things.

By the way - what does that attachment on the rear hub do?  I've seen those previously - as in the current featured photo - but am not familiar with them. 

Thanks

Thanks Cogswell!  Yes, I do plan on going through "the drill" to address the stator.  And I'm also planning on adding a voltmeter to keep tabs on my charging system.  It's funny but when I was checking out the bike from the guy I bought it from, the battery was not hooked up to his charger and it wouldn't start.  After a few minutes on the charger and many cranks, it finally started.  But I was worried that his battery/charging system was on the out so I asked the dealer to do a battery load test when I had the bike serviced.  Surprisingly, the battery load test checked out good.  The thing on the swingarm hub is one of the T-Rex sliders.  Not a real fan of the looks but in general, I put function over form when it comes to protection.:beer:

• Member Contributer

That is certainly a very tidy looking bike, congratulations and welcome to the world of VFR.....you'll never go back!   :beer: 

Once you've ridden her a few more miles, you may consider de-PAIR'ing; Mello Dude on this site produces some very nice PAIR block-off plates, and with some O2 eliminators or home-made equivalents, the 03-13 model runs a lot smoother at low revs/part-throttle. A set of Staintunes or other low restriction end cans also improve things, particularly the sound! But where do you stop fettling?  :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Welcome Aboard! Definitely do the drill, as the Stator will eventually give up the ghost at some point, some seem to go forever but others can leave you stranded! Mine gave up around 45k miles but fortunately I was within a few miles from home and a friend who came to my rescue. Thanks Recalcitrance, your presence is surely missed here.

11 hours ago, Skids said:

That is certainly a very tidy looking bike, congratulations and welcome to the world of VFR.....you'll never go back!   :beer: 

Once you've ridden her a few more miles, you may consider de-PAIR'ing; Mello Dude on this site produces some very nice PAIR block-off plates, and with some O2 eliminators or home-made equivalents, the 03-13 model runs a lot smoother at low revs/part-throttle. A set of Staintunes or other low restriction end cans also improve things, particularly the sound! But where do you stop fettling?  :goofy:

Warren, is that you?  From the SV Portal?  :tongue:

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, oldbaldsob said:

Warren, is that you?  From the SV Portal?  :tongue:

Nah, sorry.

Had an SV once as a loaner.

7 hours ago, Skids said:

Nah, sorry.

Had an SV once as a loaner.

LOL.  There was a lad who went by "Skidz" on the SV Portal so I had to ask.  Cheers!

Archived