Can I use VFR1200 panniers on my VFR800 (8th Gen)?

Morries

Hi All,

I'm new to VFR'ing and new to the forum. I bought my bike (VFR800F 8th) a few weeks ago as a bridge getting me back into motorcycling (or biking pending on the audience). Absolutely loving her, under estimated every facet of her to the point that I'm looking to invest in her for touring. Herein lies the issue, getting bespoke luggage isn't cheap new nor is it easy to find on the usual sites - Ebay, Gumtree, etc. I've looked at the alternative suppliers, but it they don't really float my boat. There are a lot of adverts for VFR1200 panniers and I'm wondering if they are interchangeable between the models? 

Your comments or suggestions will be much appreciated. 

Yes. the only OEM Panniers that doesn't fit between the 1200's and 800's are the 1200 Crossoturers panniers

the 1200F and 800F share the exact same panniers, may be that the heatshield might differ but the pannier itself is the same

Not sure about the side panniers (which I assume you are referring to) but the 45L VFR1200 top box is easily available in the UK and I have it on my VFR800 using OEM rack and adapter plate. Here are the parts numbers:

08L74-MJN-D01ZG 45L Top box - Pearl Glare White (NH-B53P)
08L73-MGE-D40 Carrier Bracket For 45L Top Box
08M70-MJE-D01 1 Key Components (Cylinder Inner Kit)
08M71-MJE-D01 1 Key Components (Cylinder Body Kit)

08L42-MGE-800 Rear carrier

Have look here for the brochure:

https://www.honda.co.uk/content/dam/local/uk/brochures/motorcycles/Accessories/HUK MC HGA VFR800F 1115.pdf

Keep in mind that most VFR1200 colours don't match up with the VFR800 for the most part with a few exceptions. I think the white does. Others may be able to confirm (My white top box is a perfect match)

• Member Contributer

The side panniers are interchangeable from the 1200 to the 800 (8th gen).  If you're running with the stock exhaust on the 800, you will need to modify the heatshield a little. 

IMG_0648.JPG

All, many thanks for the response. It opens opens up the second hand market for this newbie. In regard to colour matching, I’m looking to get the panels vinyl wrapped for a laugh if the colour is to far off. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Morries said:

All, many thanks for the response. It opens opens up the second hand market for this newbie. In regard to colour matching, I’m looking to get the panels vinyl wrapped for a laugh if the colour is to far off. 

Gucciflage

https://goo.gl/images/17arD4

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading mixed reviews...

Will the OEM panniers hold a full face helmet?  I have a Shoei large RF1200 and my lady has a medium.  Really not worth the cost if they can't even fit the helmets.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer
47 minutes ago, 14thumper said:

I'm reading mixed reviews...

Will the OEM panniers hold a full face helmet?  I have a Shoei large RF1200 and my lady has a medium.  Really not worth the cost if they can't even fit the helmets.

Thanks!

If you take a minute or two to take any gadgets off the helmet, position it just so and there's nothing else in the case and you don't mind the inside of the case scratching up the paint on the helmet because there's not even room for the helmet sock that came in the box, it might possibly fit.  No guarantees.

Maybe find a pal with the panniers and conduct a test.

EDIT:  If you're thinking about storing two lids, the second oughta' be a brain bucket because the pannier over the exhaust is more cramped.

42 minutes ago, Rectaltronics said:

If you take a minute or two to take any gadgets off the helmet, position it just so and there's nothing else in the case and you don't mind the inside of the case scratching up the paint on the helmet because there's not even room for the helmet sock that came in the box, it might possibly fit.  No guarantees.

Maybe find a pal with the panniers and conduct a test.

EDIT:  If you're thinking about storing two lids, the second oughta' be a brain bucket because the pannier over the exhaust is more cramped.

Thanks for the reply...

Seems like a bust, I mean they look huge on the bike but the main reason is for rides with the lady so she doesn't have to carry the helmet all over the place and if she buys something we can take it home (no helmet in the side bag on the ride back).  Ugh, I really wanted these to work...

35 minutes ago, 14thumper said:

Thanks for the reply...

Seems like a bust, I mean they look huge on the bike but the main reason is for rides with the lady so she doesn't have to carry the helmet all over the place and if she buys something we can take it home (no helmet in the side bag on the ride back).  Ugh, I really wanted these to work...

It would have to be a very small helmet to fit in the side cases. My Shoei GT -Air in L and my Qwest in XL don’t fit no matter how i turn them. The top box will hold one helmet, though.

Are there any other panniers out there that will fit the 8th gen without some huge bracket that will hold helmets?  I'm guessing OEM is the only integrated one.  It would still be nice to have but not sure it's worth the $ since the main purpose is to hold the helmets on 'date rides'.

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, 14thumper said:

Thanks for the reply...

I just use a medium duty steel security cable (with loop ends) through the eye port(s) of the helmet(s) and secure that to one of the steel loops under the rear seat, and leave the helmet(s) sitting on the seat(s) of the bike.

Well, I may end up getting the OEM panniers anyway.  Wish they were a tad bigger but I prefer the seamless integration.  I'm a bit confused by the Honda website.  Do I need to order both the key cylinder inner set PLUS the key body parts (x2 of each I assume)?  According to Honda's website, it just states I need to order the key cylinder inner set.  I don't see much clarification in the instructions although I might have missed it.

On 9/6/2018 at 8:58 PM, 14thumper said:

Well, I may end up getting the OEM panniers anyway.  Wish they were a tad bigger but I prefer the seamless integration.  I'm a bit confused by the Honda website.  Do I need to order both the key cylinder inner set PLUS the key body parts (x2 of each I assume)?  According to Honda's website, it just states I need to order the key cylinder inner set.  I don't see much clarification in the instructions although I might have missed it.

You only need the key cylinder inner set, x2 because you are building two locks.

The body part is a flange that comes pre-installed in the panniers. I ordered one and ended up not needing it. 

The seamless integration is a great feature. Taking the cases on and off takes seconds.

22 hours ago, economist said:

You only need the key cylinder inner set, x2 because you are building two locks.

The body part is a flange that comes pre-installed in the panniers. I ordered one and ended up not needing it. 

The seamless integration is a great feature. Taking the cases on and off takes seconds.

Oh sweet, thank you so much!!!  Now I know that I only need to order x2 of the lock inner sets, saves me some $$.

I received the OEM panniers today.  I'm actually not impressed.  They arrived with a few minor scratches (they are supposed to be new) and they don't appear to close properly no matter how careful I try to close them.  Is the uneven closing standard for these?  I never had this issue with my FJR or ST1300 in the past.

IMG_5664.jpg

Mine don’t close evenly, either. They seem to close a little differently each time you close them. Don’t worry about it. They are completely watertight, both  sitting still and at highway speed. That gasket seals up well. 

Archived