Gutting Standard Exhaust

smurfbud

I like the look of the original exhaust. It simply looks balanced with its rounded triangular shape. I am not a fan of the alternative after-market options which are either round or oval, and they never really appear to "look fitted right" to me under the plastic side skirt.

So I bought a second-hand standard exhaust which I intend to gut as per minute 1.20 on this video........... think I will use a hacksaw to cut the ends off though and keep the end caps original

Grum replied

Absolutely do Not do it like above, frankly IOM that looks crap! Cut the end caps off around the existing weld, gut the canisters then at the back of the end caps you've cut off, grind away and remove the inner baffle pipes that protrude into the outer pipe, you'll understand what I mean once you've cut the end caps off, you just want to remove that last bit of baffle pipe going into the end caps. Get the end caps nicely re-welded refit the heat shield and you done. They will sound fantastic and look beautifully stock standard. I've done this twice and it's well worth the effort. :wheel:

Taking Grum's advice onboard here's a couple of pix of what actually happened yesterday:-

First of all don't cut here ..... like I did on the first attempt ..... 

57.jpg

Cut behind the weld ...that way you will separate the outer sleeve and baffle....

55.jpg

Cut through the outlet pipes as you go

56.jpg

You should end up with this .... where you can clearly see the 2 separate sections of cut metal of the outer sleeve and the inner baffle....

53.jpg

And not this ....... where you still have the bloody weld in place and the baffle doesn't pull out ... had to cut this one again !! derrr

59.jpg

Now the baffle should simply pull out with a pair of grips....... might require a bit of wriggling ... and prepare to be covered in black carbon shit  ......

50.jpg

These blighters are the reason the original exhaust is so damned heavy 

52.jpg

What's left is one gutted exhaust ..

58.jpg

51.jpg

So, all that's required now is to deburr the edges and refit the end caps.

I am going to try it on the bike with just the chrome end caps screwed in place first to see what it sounds like.

If it's too loud (is that possible?) then I will get the inner end caps welded back on.

Once that decision is made, I will attack the surface rust on the under-seat cross-link pipe with a wire brush and give it a coat of VHT paint for protection (you cant really see that bit anyway).

Cheers

• Member Contributer

Looks like it turned out nicely, but I can't imagine that it won't be horribly loud. Seems to me those empty cans will act like megaphones

and really make it too noisy to ride around town. Don't forget to consider the people around you, and your neighbors. Many people base

their opinions, right or wrong, on annoyingly noisy bikes.

I did this on mine when I first bought it. The PO had a complete second end section, so I gutted it and screwed the caps back on. It sounds like pure crap, it's way too high pitched and obnoxiously loud. The set that came on the bike looks like it was cut open from the side, a baffle removed and then rewelded. It sounds like crap too, just a bit louder than stock. I ended up getting a Delkevic system and left the baffles in.

Archived