PCV Base Setting

smurfbud

Hi Guys,

After sorting my revving issue I have invested in a PCV to help resolve the <5k stuttering.

I have read a number of posts (read lots actually) regarding the benefits or otherwise of removing the airbox snorkle, disabling the airbox vacuum flap and disabling the PAIR or secondary air intake.

My question is, do I make these changes or leave the bike standard when I fit the PCV?

Secondly, there are lots of PCV maps available on the forum which appear to be "superior" to the available dynojet maps. Some are generic and some have different fuelling maps for all 4 cylinders.

Obviously I appreciate that 4 individual cylinder maps have got to be better than a single generic map for all 4 cylinders, but would this be a suitable starting map for my bike? or should I stick with a generic map?

Advice would be welcomed from those who have fitted a PCV regarding a good starting map for my bike with K&N air filter (airbox mods or not as listed above) and a gutted standard exhaust.

I will be getting the bike dyno'd after fitting the PCV.

Thanks in advance.

• Member Contributer

The "benefits" of removing the snorkel and the flapper aren't universally agreed upon... The generally accepted assumption of the shade-tree mechanic is that "more air is always better", but I haven't seen any convincing proof that the VFR can use more air at low RPMs.  Just my 2 cents...

If I understand correctly how the PAIR valve works, you make it entirely redundant by warming your bike up fully before riding it, which is a good idea. At that point it is just a pile of extra junk that never does anything. On the rare occasion that you leave in a hurry and it does activate, it hasn't moved in ages and will probably fail, possibly in the open position (which would be bad).

I can't speak to the maps unfortunately, though I'm frequently tempted to upgrade my PC3 to a 5.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Urbanengineer said:

I have a vacuum leak and suspect it’s the pair unit... blocking it off has been a thought. 

Individual cylinder AFR is nice, but I don’t think it has that much capability. 

PAIR system has nothing to do with vacuum. Also if you unplug the electrical connector from the pair control solenoid valve it will be shut, = no air injected into the exhaust.

Soooo my question about any version of the power commanders is will it make a 100% stock 6th gen have a less snatchy on and off throttle response and generally make the bike smoother.   I’ve done nothing to the engine on mine except routine maintenance and after 9  years  I’m thinking about trying one if it actually makes the bike smoother.   Anyone out there actually run one on a stock 6th gen i.e. no exhaust or intake mods?

After a little more research ( http://johnny.chadda.se/pair-and-flapper-mod-with-bonus-snorkel-mod-for-vfr/ ) I have decided to do the following easily reversible mods before installing the PCV:-

1) Install a PAIR blanking kit (as opposed to simply disconnecting the solenoid electrical connection) allowing me to remove the unnecessary clutter around the airbox.

2) Remove the snorkle  - an unnecessary obstacle for the incoming fresh air.

3) Fit O2 eliminators and plug the exhaust ports for the O2 sensors again removing unnecessary clutter.

The above should give me a better throttle response <5k according to Mr Chada.

I will then find a suitable PCV map and install the PCV and run it until my bike has its own map developed on 27 Sept.

Would be interested to hear replies to Legend's question above too ....... 

• Member Contributer

You know what would be great, an actual dyno test of the PAIR/flapper/snorkel mods, because otherwise it’s all butt dyno opinion and frankly I’m skeptical. Everyone thinks they’re smarter than Hondas engineers but show me some quantifiable evidence changing these elements makes an actual improvement.  Yes the VFR has some fueling and throttle issues but I compensate for them with my throttle application and my mind.  It’s a bike designed for ‘touring’ not commuting, I’m not saying it shouldn’t be better - I’m just saying I can live with the low rev issues because I am in that throttle range only a small portion of my ride. 

Having done similar ‘mods’ on my previous bike I tried them and then reverted them to stock because the results weren’t there. Maybe the VFR is different. 

So today I:-

1) fitted the PAIR elimination kit and removed that heap of junk.

2) fitted the O2 eliminators and fitted blanks to the O2 bosses on the exhaust headers.

3) removed the airbox snorkle

4) took her out for a wee blast.

Report / feedback;

After an initial hesitant start the bike didn't want to rev immediately and there was a slight delay in picking up revs. Once on the move the bike stuttered whilst it came to terms with the fact that there was no O2 feedback. A quick blast through the gears soon had the bike warmed up and running more as I expected after the mods.

Hitting a 30mph limit the bike was quite happy at low revs in the lower gears without stuttering and I knew the mods had achieved their objective.

Moving swiftly through the twisties I was able to drop down through the gears and hold a steady speed / accelerate without any of the snatchiness previously experienced.

Overall, I am pleased with the mods undertaken and would recommend them to others.

Next stage is finding an appropriate map and fitting the PCV.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, been away in the Pyrenees and Picos for a couple of week t he Katoom - what a blast ..... anyway back to the viffer

I loaded up the 506 map off the Dynojet website onto my PCV and fitted it yesterday morning before taking into Ian Bell Motorcycles for a dyno run and map.

The bike ran really well on the 506, it was quite smooth.

Approx 1 hr on the dyno was all it took to produce a bike specific map as the 506 was a very good baseline.

The final result is a beautifully smooth running bike at all revs in all gears with 101 bhp at the rear wheel (the vtec kick in blip doesnt really notice in real life riding)

What more do you want?

VFR Dyno Graph.jpg

Soooo my question about any version of the power commanders is will it make a 100% stock 6th gen have a less snatchy on and off throttle response and generally make the bike smoother.   I’ve done nothing to the engine on mine except routine maintenance and after 9  years  I’m thinking about trying one if it actually makes the bike smoother.   Anyone out there actually run one on a stock 6th gen i.e. no exhaust or intake mods?

My 03 was butter smooth after the PC3 install. I’m still chasing a little of the on off issue with my 06 running PCV but this bike has every mod you can throw at one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, smurfbud said:

Hi Guys, been away in the Pyrenees and Picos for a couple of week t he Katoom - what a blast ..... anyway back to the viffer

I loaded up the 506 map off the Dynojet website onto my PCV and fitted it yesterday morning before taking into Ian Bell Motorcycles for a dyno run and map.

The bike ran really well on the 506, it was quite smooth.

Approx 1 hr on the dyno was all it took to produce a bike specific map as the 506 was a very good baseline.

The final result is a beautifully smooth running bike at all revs in all gears with 101 bhp at the rear wheel (the vtec kick in blip doesnt really notice in real life riding)

What more do you want?

VFR Dyno Graph.jpg

A dyno chart before mods, then after to prove what those changes accomplished.  👀...

congrats on your updates though, and thanks for posting your chart. 

18 hours ago, VARIABLE9 said:

A dyno chart before mods, then after to prove what those changes accomplished.  👀...

congrats on your updates though, and thanks for posting your chart. 

I get what you're saying and why, and in hindsight it wouldn't have been too time consuming to remove the PCV connection and do a run before defining the new map.

Next time eh ..... 

Oh, and if anyone wants the map ... no worries ... let me know. I will get around to downloading it from the PCV over the weekend and put it on the map download section.

Archived