Hello from the Midwest

jstehman

I'm trying to decide on whether to buy a 2005 well maintained service documented VFR with cash, or get trade credit/ cash down and finance a new 2014 Deluxe.

I'm planning on having this next bike for years to come, so I'm leaning towards getting the 2014, but I'd like help being pushed over the fence. .

Is the 8th gen really that much better than a 6th gen?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

read Up on the electrical gremlins of the pre-06’s (I believe that’s the year cut off). There was a recall so check the vin. I’m not saying that’s a reason to not buy an 05. Just saying to edumacate yourself.  

Hello,

Ive not rode the gen 6, and am new to the gen 8 but can already tell you the gen 8 is a great bike to own.

Its more refined than alot of other bikes, with a built to last kind of feel. Not the fastest but by no means slow. It just seems to do everything you ask it to do with ease. 

People who know bikes all seem to admire and respect them (already lots of positive comments). 

So all in all it fits well with that want for a bike for years to come.

All the best

Simon 

read Up on the electrical gremlins of the pre-06’s (I believe that’s the year cut off). There was a recall so check the vin. I’m not saying that’s a reason to not buy an 05. Just saying to edumacate yourself.  
Ugh looks like a lot of electrical.. main fuse, R/R, headlamp wiring, grounds.

I'd love to have a bike that's paid for, but not have to worry about chasing wires.. plus added costs of maintenance related parts on a 13 year old bike. Brake lines, caliper seals, wheel bearings, neck bearings, rear shock is probably worn out.

They're the third owner so who knows what the other p.o.'s have or have not messed with.

• Member Contributer
26 minutes ago, jstehman said:

They're the third owner so who knows what the other p.o.'s have or have not messed with.

As V-9 says, there are some issues common issues that affect the '02-'09 VTec series. However, they aren't insurmountable otherwise no one on the list would still own one 😉

The full service history of the '05 gives some piece of mind, and the cost saving over the '14 would cover an awful lot of repairs.

What mileage on the '05? The rear shock tends to last scores of thousands of miles, and unless you are a track-day demon the oe unit is adequate. 

What condition are the tires, chain & sprockets, battery, and rec/reg + stator? If they are good then you likely won't have any unexpected repairs in the near future.

Wouldn't hurt to have an unbiased assessment, though.

As V-9 says, there are some issues common issues that affect the '02-'09 VTec series. However, they aren't insurmountable otherwise no one on the list would still own one 

The full service history of the '05 gives some piece of mind, and the cost saving over the '14 would cover an awful lot of repairs.

What mileage on the '05? The rear shock tends to last scores of thousands of miles, and unless you are a track-day demon the oe unit is adequate. 

What condition are the tires, chain & sprockets, battery, and rec/reg + stator? If they are good then you likely won't have any unexpected repairs in the near future.

Wouldn't hurt to have an unbiased assessment, though.

30k on the 2005. 

They claim the valves were inspected at 16k and no adjustment was necessary.

New chain and sprockets. New front brake pads.

Wiring harness recall was done by Honda.

Its a 3 hour drive for me to see it so it needs to be worth it.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, jstehman said:

Ugh looks like a lot of electrical.. main fuse, R/R, headlamp wiring, grounds.

I'd love to have a bike that's paid for, but not have to worry about chasing wires.. plus added costs of maintenance related parts on a 13 year old bike. Brake lines, caliper seals, wheel bearings, neck bearings, rear shock is probably worn out.

Hi jsteham.

Get the 8gen Delux if you can afford it, you won't regret it. Had three 6gens from new and they were Great bikes, but I cared for them like babies! BUT the 8gen is a huge step forward in refinement and fixing all the known electrical bugs of the 6gen.

Here's what you get with the 8gen.

Lighter weight, more nimble feel in steering, more confidence in cornering. Greater fuel economy. Better brakes with ABS and de-linked, easier bleeding. Five stage heated grips. All new instrument panel with fuel metering info, gear position indication etc. Traction control! Self cancelling indicators. Better rear vision mirror arrangement. Hi and Lo rider seat height adjustment. More suspension adjustment. Slightly greater under seat space. Radiators moved to the front giving a sleeker front appearance and narrower look. The ability to add a Quick Shifter = fast clutchless up shifts.

Electrical issues solved.

No reports of any Stator burn ups. The 8gen now has forced oil cooling on the stator, the electrical loads are lighter having LED headlights, and a greatly improved and efficient R/R.

External fuel pressure regulator has been removed( known problem causer 6gen) speed sensor and coupling have been removed (speed sensed from the ABS on the 8gen). 

Compare all this to a 13 year old bike with three previous owners. Who knows how it's been cared for. 

Well there's my two Bob's worth. Good luck with your choice.

Cheers. :beer:

• Member Contributer

The good news is the service history and the recall completed. The potential electrical issues would be at least known, and fixes are well documented. If the money is right, you’d save a monthly payment or a big outlay. An 05 with 30k?  Wdyt group?  $3000?  I’m not sure of values. A 14/15 like I said you may score for $8000 appx.  

@VARIABLE9

Your right on the money on the asking price of the 2005.

Seems like a good deal to me.

I checked out a dealer for a leftover new 2014, and they were about $8600 OTD. My SV they valued at $1k for trade. Ouch

• Member Contributer

Yikes on the SV. I’m selling mine private, couldn’t take that kind of hit!

A tip to check trend pricing and sometimes get a good deal (you may need to travel a bit though) is to either search all Craigslist or use CycleTraders search with nationwide results. 

good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the 2005 got traded away.

But now I have to decide between an anniversary edition nonABS or an 08 in Gray..

My Magna is grey and I can't imagine having 2 grey bikes so leaning towards RWB?

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum. That's a beaut. You have great taste in mc's. I love your Sand Hills area south of Valentine.

Sweet bike!  Have fun. 

Clutch/throttle takes a bit to get used to but it's getting better every ride.

And compared to the SV there's very little engine braking.

Loving every minute though!

• Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, jstehman said:

Clutch/throttle takes a bit to get used to but it's getting better every ride.

I noticed on my new to me VFR that the clutch engagement point is farther out in the release of the lever than it has been on my other bikes. 

I agree.

There is a slight amount of adjustment at the lever which is helpful.

The brakes are fantastic! I thought I'd hate the linked setup but so far they have done well at keeping her settled. Just a light touch or you're really coming to a stop!

So I think I agree with the abrupt throttle transition from closed to on throttle.

It feels like you're not giving her any and then BAM! We're off!

Kind of hard to be smooth. Like slowing down, downshifting for a right hander at a green light. I'm trying to be smooth with the throttle but I get a lot of jerkiness cause the revs drop too far and then you give her a hair more and she takes off!

Plus I think I'm still adjusting to having less engine braking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Just a comment on the benefits of linked brakes. Motorcycle Consumer News (best in the industry) used to post used bike prices and a 10-point "best of" list. For stopping distance from 60 to zero, fifth gen VFRs came is tied for sixth best at 108.something feet. Most mc magazine reviews consider ~ 120 feet as excellent. When used together, front and rear, the stopping capability is fabulous. There's nothing better for an already fabulous all-around mc.

Archived