RC51 forks on a 5G questions

VFROZ

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, VFROZ said:

Thanks for all the info boys.

I might look into using the VFR1200F triples.

I definitely like the idea of having a 35mm offset rather than 30mm.

Can anyone see a bad point in this?

Won’t fit your SP1 forks?

• Member Contributer
41 minutes ago, KevCarver said:

Won’t fit your SP1 forks?

They will with a 0.5mm shim on the bottom triple .

I found out that the 7G forks are 50mm top and 55mm at the bottom .

Fork spacing distance is the same as SP1, so no problems with wheel or disk position.

My only unknown is stem height.

i have 1200 forks fitted to my 5th gen, i used 5mm washer on top of the bearing lock nuts, as the top nut thread was sitting proud of the nut after being tightened, I'm due to have the front end off again soon, so i can measure the stem when i do

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, CraigG said:

i have 1200 forks fitted to my 5th gen, i used 5mm washer on top of the bearing lock nuts, as the top nut thread was sitting proud of the nut after being tightened, I'm due to have the front end off again soon, so i can measure the stem when i do

Interesting. Which bearings did you use?

Can you use a spacer on the bottom triple below the bearing?

Or even split the spacers top and bottom. 

Any issues with clearance to fairing or tank?

And is there plenty of room for the clipons above the top triple?

the head bearings are the same on both 5th and 7th gen, so i just ordered 5th gen bearings from allballs racing, and ran them 

i wouldnt run a spacer below the lower bearing as i dont think you would get the bearing fully seated if you did so. 

i made up new lock stops on the lower triple, as they didnt line up at all, i did lose a bit of turn lock to lock, but there still plenty. the forks do clear the inner plastic fairings, and the bars dont hit the tank

i was running the stock 7th gen clipons above the top triple, and the forks were still 5mm proud of the clipons, so plenty of room

• Member Contributer

Good to hear that the 7th gen triples clear the plastic in the 5th gen.  I've been working on putting 7th gen triples on my 3rd gen (as you may have seen on the forum?) and I had to modify the fairing stay to get clearance.  But there is a big difference in fork width between 3rd and 7th gens, so the bike wasn't built to have that much clearance.  

The 7th gen triples are not gulled (the top looks like it might be, but it is flat on the bottom).  See the blatantly stolen eBay pic below:

1335580592_VFR1200frontsuspension-1.thumb.JPG.89aa5993eec5cc0e7cd67194f904c70c.JPG

SP2 outer tubes are difficult to use on another bike, because the tapering of the tubes and limited lower clamping area aren't very versatile, but SP1 outers are nice and consistent.

After trying (and failing) to get Tommaselli adjustable clip-ons to fit I ended up using ABM Multiclip Touring clip-ons.  There are also Chinese replicas out there, but the ABMs are nicer, IMHO.  But this was a 3rd gen; 5th gen may be easier to accommodate.

I think you can put the shim under the bottom bearing--I don't see why it wouldn't work, assuming you're going to be making new lock stops anyway--but off hand I don't remember what I did when I test-fit the damned things two years ago...  (I'm sure there are some benefits of age, but I can't seem to remember any of them!)

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
On 8/23/2018 at 3:51 PM, JZH said:

I'm sure there are some benefits of age, but I can't seem to remember any of them!

Dude I literally LOL'd that's so true!

Been watching this one as I'm thinking of doing a fork swap/CBS delete on my second 5th gen. Carry on....

• Member Contributer

Can someone help me with these missing measurments I need for a fork and brake data file.

VFR1200F :

disk offset

disk to disk distance

fork center distance

axle diameter

The 7G wheel could be used if disk placement ends up the same.

• Member Contributer

If you trust my measurements... the 1200F's fork spacing is 214mm and the SP1's disc distance (inside to inside, measured at the friction surface) is 133mm (4.5mm thick discs).

Having done this sort of spreadsheet in the past, the main problem I had was the potential "pollution" of the data.  Unless I did the measurements myself, I found that I couldn't trust it--and I didn't discover this until I'd lost track of the sources of the data I had already included... 

Axle diameters can be determined from the wheel bearings used by each bike, and disc data from Galfer/Braking etc. can usually be trusted... 

Fork lengths are especially troublesome, given the number of things that can influence this on any given pair of forks--in addition to the measuring technique used.

Ciao,

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I saw your ad the other day asking about 7G clipons. I tried that as well, but finally I had to actively search through the 7G forum for anyone that listed aftermarket clipons in their sig file and ask them directly. I only got 2 replies, one wanted the standard "half of new" price, and the other was willing to donate to declutter her garage. I hope you find the latter, and in Oz!

• 4 weeks later...

I used a 929 front wheel, (with SP1 bearings/spacers) calipers, master cylinder and top yoke. 929/SP1 front mudguards are the same I think. 

Everything else is SP1:  Forks/discs/bottom yoke, apart from the clip-on which I made myself and custom brake hoses.

You may find the SP1 forks springs a tad soft, my 5th gen is 212kg fully fuelled and I need the preload wound in fully. 

• Member Contributer

Thanks, I've done a lot of homework since I started this thread.

The SP1 forks I got are already set up with Gold valves and 0.95 springs by Racetech, it's how I bought them.

Stock SP1 forks have 0.96 springs, which are perfect for a 75kg rider (me).

I am using VFR1200 triples as they have a 35mm offset closer to the 5G's 40mm.

For the front wheel, I'll settle for the first one that comes along, SP1, SP2 or CBR1000RR,  929/954 disks are 330mm and a bit too big for the calipers (320mm for SP1), so need SP1/2 CBR1000RR or VFR1200.

I'd like to find VFR1200 clipons, as they will look original.

I believe any mudguard for Honda upside down fork will fit.

Be careful winding on too much preload, SP1 forks have a long top out spring, and winding it up does not have the same effect as a normal way up fork.

To set up sag on them you need to change springs (both main spring and top out spring), not wind them up.

I think your setup is the most common on our bikes.

Archived