RC51 forks on a 5G questions

VFROZ

• Member Contributer

I recently found a set of Racetech rebuilt SP1 forks for bugger all, and I couldn't pass them up.

So I've started the process of finding all the other bits I need.

I already have SP1 calipers on my delinked 5G, so I need:

SP1/2 bottom triple (because of the gull wing design)

SP1/2 front wheel

SP1/2 front axle

CBR929/954 top triple (also because of the gullwing design)

Convertibars

Front guard

Can any of these parts be substituted from easier to get models?

The top triple and convertibars are not a problem, but some of the other stuff can be hard to find or expensive, specially here in Oz.

IMG_4240.jpg

• Member Contributer

My only suggestion to find interchangeability between models is to look up the part number of the part for the model that you know will fit, and see if that part number is also listed for any other models. I use Partzilla's website for that. 

• Member Contributer

I did that Terry, was thinking more on the lines of using something else with some modifications like different bearings or spacers.

Found the caliper brackets cheapley enough tonight.

I'm starting to think it might not be worth the hassle or expense.

But then again, patience always pays off.

I know where there is an SP1 bottom triple and axle, but the bloke wants AU$200 for them, that's what I paid for the forks.

15 hours ago, VFROZ said:

I did that Terry, was thinking more on the lines of using something else with some modifications like different bearings or spacers.

I know where there is an SP1 bottom triple and axle, but the bloke wants AU$200 for them, that's what I paid for the forks.

To be fair, you got what can only be categorised as a "smoking" deal on the forks. Frankly - as I stated elsewhere - I'd likely have picked them up myself at that price, if I'd seen them.

The stuff you need is out there. You might just need to look at the cost in an "overall" context. I.e. you saved "X" on the forks, paid decent coin for the rest of the bits and pieces, but still came out in front, compared to what most people would need to shell out to get an RC51 front end on their bike...either that or view the thing as a long-term ("Phantom-esque") project, and slowly collect the bits and pieces as you find them at compelling prices.

Not sure I'd want to have to attempt the swap from scratch on my bike. I could draft a BOM (based on knowledge in the various Viffer forums), and find the kit. Just not sure I'd be prepared to pay for it all, UNLESS I could get a key component or two at a price which made the whole thing financially palatable...

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, VFROZ said:

There is a 954 at a local wreckers yard over here, I can enquire about the top triple if you want.

Do you think a 954 axle would also work? Obviously the fork spacing is the same as the SP1/2 so presumably the axle must be the same length, and Honda tend to use common-sized parts so I'd expect the diameter is probably the same as well. 

33 minutes ago, Terry said:

There is a 954 at a local wreckers yard over here, I can enquire about the top triple if you want.

Do you think a 954 axle would also work? Obviously the fork spacing is the same as the SP1/2 so presumably the axle must be the same length, and Honda tend to use common-sized parts so I'd expect the diameter is probably the same as well. 

Not unless the 954 axle is 22mm, as that is what the SP1/2 items are. (I suspect that the 954 uses a 25(?)mm axle, but might be wrong...)

• Member Contributer

That would be great Terry. 

The axle is only used on the SP1/2 sadly. 

But it’s not an over the top expensive item. 

The bottom triple and wheel is another matter. 

• Member Contributer

If the axle is the right length & fits the fork bottoms, you can use different bearing to get the wheel to fit !  Just an option.

Alternately, if the wheel & axle fit, but the fork bottom does not you can make up shim tube spacers to accept the axle in those forks ! That will give a wider choice of wheel/axle combos, just need the right disc diameter & offset.

• Member Contributer

I pestered 7th Gen owners who had swapped out their stock clipons looming for a good deal on an unwanted set. Got offered a free set! They are slightly taller than 5th Gen, but with the gull wing they net lower. 

• Member Contributer

$200AUD for the lower triple with stem and axle is a good deal, especially if it's local (Oz)

Given how much you saved on the forks, getting stung alittle elsewhere would be acceptable IMO

• Member Contributer

The stupid thing is that it's from the same bloke.

I guess his pissed that he let the forks go for so little.

Does anyone know what the 7G tripple offset is?

KevCarver's idea about 7G clipons is good and I'm chasing some up.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, VFROZ said:

Does anyone know what the 7G triple offset is?

KevCarver's idea about 7G clipons is good and I'm chasing some up.

I'm not sure, but I think the 7G lower triple is the wrong diameter for the SP1 forks. And I want to guess that the offset is the same as 800s.

• Member Contributer

I’ve got my front end set up very low, so I didn’t even need the top gull wing. 

But using a flat bridge (I have an SP1 in my tool box) would raise my hands above where they would be on stock 5th. Good option if I want to have a "Helibars" type effect.

(SP1 masters - clutch and brake)

ECCF3858-1070-4467-94E1-3960D30FC956.jpeg

235A4C71-FB21-492E-BBD3-5D776B500895.jpeg

Love the OE look because of the 7G clip ons. Even the tabs fit the top bridge!

(My brake lines are a mess! Excuse the clumsy banjo fitting)

C9BA1552-E676-4C20-8ABC-F7AAB1DF3D2F.jpeg

No clearance issues with the bars, tank, and fairings.

Here's a comparison of 5th and 7th. 7G is black, and slightly taller.

83613065-E359-49D5-81A5-D4ACCD8D666A.jpeg

• Member Contributer

The SP1 and SP2 bottom triples have different stems. Only the SP1 is going to fit the top VFR bearing (check that, my memory is failing me). Pic of both, SP2 on left, SP1 on right:

HPIM1772.thumb.JPG.0b4c76c9897a318f7882794089707ddd.JPG

• Member Contributer

Thanks vfrcapn.

Question for you Kev, What top triple is that? 954 or 7G?

Also your forks are quiet high, any problems with clearence when bottomed out?

• Member Contributer

Top is 954, bottom is SP1. The VFR would have a different offset to them, so no go mixing them. As I mentioned earlier, I think the 7G lower triple is different diameter on the forks to the SP1. But, find someone to measure the diameter of 7G forks where they are clamped to make sure. Maybe you could end up with the same offset as you had on stock 5th Gen by using 7G triples. And I don't know either offset numbers.

CornerCarver got me into that setup. Low front, tall rear (5mm shim on the top of the shock), but now he's gone away from that type of setup and a more neutral front. I still like it this way, though. The only clearance issue is with the clutch master cylinder. The forks are literally as high as they can go because the clutch master is in the way as you maybe can tell from the pic. But other than that, maybe my Pit Bull front end stand is a little bit harder to fit the pin into the stem? But's rare that I use the stem lift since it's capable of lifting from the forks too.

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, vfrcapn said:

The SP1 and SP2 bottom triples have different stems. Only the SP1 is going to fit the top VFR bearing (check that, my memory is failing me). Pic of both, SP2 on left, SP1 on right:

HPIM1772.thumb.JPG.0b4c76c9897a318f7882794089707ddd.JPG

You probably already know it, but you'll have to cut off the stock SP1 steering stops and fabricate new ones. You can see Capn's on the right.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, KevCarver said:

Top is 954, bottom is SP1. The VFR would have a different offset to them, so no go mixing them. As I mentioned earlier, I think the 7G lower triple is different diameter on the forks to the SP1. But, find someone to measure the diameter of 7G forks where they are clamped to make sure. Maybe you could end up with the same offset as you had on stock 5th Gen by using 7G triples. And I don't know either offset numbers.

After I asked the question, I realized I knew the answer.

The 7G bottom tripple has to be different as the forks are slimmer on the bottom than the top, oposite to the SP1.

I know about the stops, seems easy enough to modify.

My rear is already higher by about the same, I'll play around with the forks and see.

Thanks for all your help people.

• Member Contributer

Oh! A thing I just did this year was to add captive spacers. Check out CaptiveSpacerManUK on eBay. He sells them as f/r kits, but I explained the situation and he sold me a set of only front SP1 captive spacers. Maybe he can even custom cut you a set if you want a mismatched wheel/fork/axle? If you can figure out the spec, of course. They are aluminum and suuuper lightweight!

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, RVFR said:

On a side note here,  CBR1000rr triples bolt right up. Still need to get rid of the stops though.

All years?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, RVFR said:

On a side note here,  CBR1000rr triples bolt right up. Still need to get rid of the stops though.

I'm guessing just 04 to 08, after that they seem to have a larger stems.

Is there any problem them being flat?

No interference issues?

It's an 04, but  as good as it is,  we picked up a whole 954 bucket of spare parts for the upper, and here was a very clean lower triple to boot, so went and tried that and bingo .   Doh.  as they say My Bad. Sorry for the confusion. The 04 was in it and worked.  Now there's even more options for you to ponder over.   

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the info boys.

I might look into using the VFR1200F triples.

I definitely like the idea of having a 35mm offset rather than 30mm.

Can anyone see a bad point in this?

Archived