Dead Dash - Bike Runs Fine!

darkcider

Just been travelling on the motorway and looked down to see the dash instruments all dead and the HISS light blinking, yet the engine was still running fine!!

Got home, checked and the 10A Stop/Tail/Meter fuse had blown. Meter backup still good. Replaced with the spare 10A and switched on. Clocks lit up briefly then went out. Engine starts and runs fine, but no clocks, no indicators, no tail lights. Any ideas??  Rode home last night in a heavy rain-storm, but the bike was fine and was also fine on the run in to work this morning, so not sure water ingress is the cause.

• 3 weeks later...

It happened once to me to have no upper LED dash lights working, no short beam, no turnsignal indicator, nor high beam. The dials were fine, also fuel, temp meters, speed and trip computer working.

I noticed that the turn signal indicators were not showing on the dashboard and stopped to check the bike. I tried some ignition off, then on and restart but to no avail several times.

I did only push down some black boxes under the seat, near the battery. There was a "click" with one of them, everything went back to normal and no problems since.

I hope it helps.

The situation did not replicate since, as always, being at home and close to a repair shop "scares" the problems off. 🙂

• Member Contributer

It sounds like the fuse blew a 2nd time " Replaced with the spare 10A and switched on. Clocks lit up briefly then went out. "  That would indicate a short in one of the items connected to it.  You can narrow which of the circuits has the fault by replacing the fuse, disconnecting each of the circuits in turn,  tail light, clock, turn, etc. Or, you could disconnect them all them re-connect them 1 by 1 until the fuse blows.   Once you find the one that, when disconnected does not blow the fuse, you can then focus in on it to find the short.  There are lots of youtube videos on techniques to do that.  It's probably not a very big deal - some wire slightly chafed, etc. 

• Member Contributer

The 800 6gen can suffer a very similar situation blowing that 10a fuse. I know of 3 occasions where the tail light (number plate light) wiring can be incorrectly routed and it eventually shorts to frame, all with the same effects you are seeing. Also heard of the front brake switch somehow shorting doing the same.

If the fault is solid then what Cogswell is suggesting is the way to go. If it's intermittent and happens while riding, the short is mechanically driven, perhaps in this situation with Ignition On, try flexing all the wiring in particular following the services that are powered from the fuse to try and induce the short. You might go through a packet of 10a fuses but you might eventually zoom in on the issue that zaps your fuse.

Good luck and let's know what you find.

• Member Contributer
On 13 August 2018 at 8:44 PM, darkcider said:

Got home, checked and the 10A Stop/Tail/Meter fuse had blown.

Strange - Checked the VFR1200 circuit diagram and it shows that fuse as being 15a not 10a !!! Are you sure its a 10a fuse you removed? OR is the circuit diagram I'm looking at incorrect?

Here's all the services off that fuse -

Licence plate light, tail and brake lights.

Front LED position lights.

Instrument Panel.

Front and rear Brake switches.

Blinker/Turn Relay.

Archived