Solo Seat Cover repair ... snapped tab ...

Hello gang,

Need suggestions for repairing the front left tab of my solo seat cover.

The front tabs slide into slots on the rear fairings and are held into place with the "frankenstein" bolts. The front left tab has busted off flush with the edge of the cover. The hole is fully intact. The tab requires a glue and possibly reinforcement. The tab is very thin which doesn't help with creating a strong torsional bond. My first attempt failed as the tab was very thin. I used a two part epoxy.

Any suggestions what I might use?

I've searched JB Weld "Plastic Weld". Has anyone had success with this product?

Any suggestions on how to build up the tab to increase its rigidity? The tricky part is the thin slot into which it fits recessed into the rear fairing.

Hopefully I've accurately described my solo seat cowl dilemma.

Greatly appreciate any ideas and feedback.

Cheers,

Mike

• Member Contributer

The plastic is ABS and I have had good luck using ABS glue and fiberglass cloth reinforcement.

I have rebuilt a new rear tab on the seat cowl using ABS glue and fiberglass cloth, but it does not experience as much stress as the front tab.

On the whole I have had some success using this method on the ABS plastic

• Member Contributer

I found a couple of nylon tabs off of some random packaging I had. All ready had the holes in them. Super glued and clamped overnight. I have been using it for about a year still solid.  Probably should trim and round the corners to make it easier to install but don't take it on and off that often.  Good luck hope what ever you do holds up for you. 

20180810_193950.jpg

20180810_193913.jpg

20180810_193705.jpg

Thanks guys for the replies and pictures.

Burnes ... that's a great solution. Unfortunately the tab on mine snapped flush with the edge. Nothing there to support.

Cos .. that sounds like the way I'll need to go using some fibreglass or thin wood for reinforcement.

I'll get to work on this in the coming few weeks.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Cheers,

Mike

• Member Contributer

If it’s ABS plastic why not plastic weld it? 

I’ve been using this technique for years on ABS fairings. 

Mix up some acetone with some scrap ABS plastic pieces (acetone to cover pieces) in a sealed jam jar and leave for a couple days until it turns to ABS goo. If you’re in a rush cut the ABS into smaller pieces. 

Apply the ABS goo and allow to set overnight. As the acetone evaporates it leaves behind only hardened ABS. As strong as the original piece. 

For best results you can “stitch” the two parts together first using a soldering iron. Then apply the ABS goo. 

Use a bit of steel or dissimilar plastic to help hold the shape overnight. ABS goo only sticks to ABS as far as I know. 

Good luck, 

Stray

• Member Contributer
32 minutes ago, VFR4Lee said:

DITTO!!!

HOWEVER!!!!! this thing gets SOOOO HOT it softened the brass tips!!! which then bend or break..

i took a bold that  matched to the iron.. and ground the tip to a "icebreaker" wedge ..

dp-nws-icebreaker-study-approved-2017032

then it works wonders!!

I've had excellent results with Plastex. http://www.plastex.net/ I've had to fix most of the tabs on my rebuild and this stuff is great.  It comes with a molding bar so you can make a mold of the one side and transfer it to other.  I've broken this same part and fixed.  Plastex also comes in different colors. 

Hey there snowman, that stuff looks pretty good.

Similar idea to the "ABS Goo" that Stray suggested.

I'll have to see if it available up here.

I hope to get this repair dine in the next few weeks.

Thanks for all the ideas, greatly appreciated.

Mike

Archived