The new(ish) VFR in town..

SimonGreene

Hello from Kidderminster, UK.

I've just brought a 2014 VFR 800 (Gen 8), after moving out of the city (but still working there), I felt a VFR with all it has to offer, would be a more suitable bike for my commute than my previous 2008 hornet.

I've not spent much time on it yet, but initial impressions are very positive, not quite as nimble as my previous but very smooth and way more refined. That said my clutch hand had quite the workout, and the bike seems to get a lot hotter a lot faster. It has been a long time since I've ridden a bike with fairings, but wasn't expecting her to run 100-103c when rolling at 30mph, is that normal?

Anyway, I very much look forward to spending more time getting to know the bike, fellow owners and am very happy with my purchase. 

Thanks

• Member Contributer

Welcome and congrats. 

I'm on a 6th gen 2007 and those temps seem 'normal'. Check your owners manual and I'm sure someone with a newer model will be along to clarify. 

• Member Contributer

Welcome Aboard! The temps on a 5&6 Gen can be up in the 200F range in most situations but I do not know if those temps are normal on the 8 Gen. Yesterday coming home the outdoor temp was 94F and I was moving at highway speeds (70-80MPH) and my gauge, when I toggled over to engine temp read 205F. I know if I’m at the track and pushing it, the temps stay in the 210-220F range, even in 70-80F ambient temperature range.

Thanks for letting me know that's awesome.

I took the bike for another ride, this time in lighter more flowing traffic and the temps were much better/normal.  

My only problem now is pulling onto the drive and into the garage... It's a difficult machine to get off, being so nice to ride!

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, SimonGreene said:

Hello from Kidderminster, UK.

I've just brought a 2014 VFR 800 (Gen 8), after moving out of the city (but still working there), I felt a VFR with all it has to offer, would be a more suitable bike for my commute than my previous 2008 hornet.

I've not spent much time on it yet, but initial impressions are very positive, not quite as nimble as my previous but very smooth and way more refined. That said my clutch hand had quite the workout, and the bike seems to get a lot hotter a lot faster. It has been a long time since I've ridden a bike with fairings, but wasn't expecting her to run 100-103c when rolling at 30mph, is that normal?

Anyway, I very much look forward to spending more time getting to know the bike, fellow owners and am very happy with my purchase. 

Thanks

Was that in the recent heatwave? At 30mph there's very little cooling so it sounds quite normal to me. The V4 doesn't run particularly cool. Have you tried going faster? 😆😉

• Member Contributer

Hey Simon, I live in North Queensland, Australia and regularly ride in temperatures above 36c. I can confirm that my 8th gen also runs at around 101 to 105 in traffic or at low speeds. Once you start doing 80kmh or more though the temp drops. On the hottest days it remains in the low 90s even at speed. In normal temperatures it seems to sit around 85. I change my oil in between 12000klm services because of this. Hope this helps. Also a quick shifter might ease the clutch hand problem. Phil

48A3BB63-744D-44FB-A4D9-838605B71BC5.jpeg

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, SimonGreene said:

Thanks guys, I think its just me getting used to my new(ish) bike 🙂

Ohh and my bike is white, but I have to say they (yours) look(s) beautiful in red!

Thanks again

Welcome to the asylum. You obviously have great taste in mc's. We have a tradition on the board of asking for a picture of your new machinery.  So we can continuously ogle these works of art. Even if it is not the fastest color. :tongue: 

• Member Contributer
On 8/9/2018 at 3:46 PM, Philois1984 said:

Hey Simon, I live in North Queensland, Australia and regularly ride in temperatures above 36c. I can confirm that my 8th gen also runs at around 101 to 105 in traffic or at low speeds. Once you start doing 80kmh or more though the temp drops. On the hottest days it remains in the low 90s even at speed. In normal temperatures it seems to sit around 85. I change my oil in between 12000klm services because of this. Hope this helps. Also a quick shifter might ease the clutch hand problem. Phil

48A3BB63-744D-44FB-A4D9-838605B71BC5.jpeg

Is that a recent photo?  Man - that thing looks brand spankin' new . . . !

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, MaxSwell said:

We have a tradition on the board of asking for a picture of your new machinery. 

Exactly - no photo, or you're just a figment of our imagination!  :laugh:

Welcome to the Veefour loony bin, Simon! I can confirm that the VFR tends to run warm in warmer weather; on my last 180-mile ride, engine temperature was 205-220ºF at city speeds, but dropped to 191ºF at highway speeds (70-90 mph). That’s on fairly-fresh Honda coolant. It seems our bikes need to be ridden fast to stay cool—a dirty shame, that...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Yes it was new when the photo was taken, it’s has now done 20,000km but still looks pretty much the same (always in my garage under a cover when not been ridden) Have to admit I bought this bike without ever seeing one in the flesh, had never even ridden an older model VFR. Bought it purely from reading reviews and opinions from VFR owners. I was not disappointed, love this bike. The attached photo is when the bike was delivered and the first time I had laid eyes on it.

5458C768-F669-4CC8-BEEC-45500B37932C.jpeg

45FAA25D-EB31-43C6-BB73-46CEBFB4DBDF.jpeg

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, SimonGreene said:

Here's a picture of my bike from today on my morning commute. 

I will try to do a better one soon without the topbox.. 

Cheers

Simon

Very nice Simon. Not the fastest colour but a very classy lady indeed, love the Perl White.

Safe riding.

Congrats.:wheel: Sorry no white ones available!!

Archived