Hot weather fuel problem?

Hi all. Got a problem which is puzzling me, in the heatwave we're having here in the UK at the moment (I know lots of you across the pond will be amused at the thought of consistent high-20s/low-30s C being a heatwave but we're not used to it in our little islands) my bike has started to leave a film of fuel on top of the airbox when it's hot. No evidence of leakage when the bike's just standing but when I return from a ride and leave the bike for a while, if I lift the tank the foam stuck to the underside is wet and so is the top of the plastic air filter box. I've no idea where it's coming from. I thought it might be the heat building up pressure in the tank but I've checked the breather - blown down the pipe OK, fitted a spare pipe and blown up into the tank OK and out with the cap open. Also checked the drain hose just in case, it drains from the filler cap surround and out onto the ground as it should. I wipe it down, leave the tank propped up and it dries out until the next time.

Any ideas?

• Member Contributer

Check the 6 fuel pump mounting nuts for even tightness, possible fuel pump seal leak issue see page 7-9 in the Service Manual. Check there's no weeping from the quick disconnect coupling. Are you getting any high positive pressure build up in your tank? 

Note - ALWAYS When lowering your tank make sure you take up the slack of the breather hose by gently pulling on the small to big breather hose connector (right hand side) as you lower the tank. Very easy to kink, crush, block the breather on the 8gen, leading to tank damage.

Good luck let's know what you find, you need to get this sorted ASAP.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer
  • Member Contributer

That was my first thought too Fink, hot engine, cool fuel tank, etc

If it was petrol it would smell it first or is that what made you look?

• Member Contributer

Is it any better now we've got our normal summer back?

Trick: Of course you shouldn't go near it with a naked flame. Paper kitchen towel, serviette, tissue, mop it up, step away from the bike and see if the tissue burns (somewhere safe). If it's condensation it will be obviously hard to set fire to it.

Archived