Tattooed bloke loves the 2018

Belfry

• Member Contributer

I tripped across this today while looking for something else:

The Chronicles of Mr. Fish.  I'm still not sure that I'd trade my 6th gen for a 2018 8th gen, but I wish Honda would offer them in North America so I could at least feel conflicted.  Nice to know they're still selling them in Blighty.  I think Oz had a 2017 model ... not sure about Europe. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Epyon007 said:

Are the '18's that much different than the '15's or what ever it was that we got here?

From what I can see/read, there have been no significant changes since 2014.  I'm just happy to see that the VFR 800 we've come to know and love, in sports-tourer form (as opposed to the Crossrunner, adventure-style design), is still being sold as a current model elsewhere in the world.  It gives me hope that Honda will keep developing the platform and could choose to bring it back to North America at some point.  (Nothing wrong with adventure bikes, so long as they don't squeeze out other styles.)

• Member Contributer

He mentions "Dobles" near the start of the video - that's the dealer in London that at the time I bought my 6th gen had one of  if not the last full set of matching luggage NIB for it (now rashed, unfortunately).  It was a mild PITA to import it, but was the price of getting it at the time.   It must be a pretty large dealership as I have seen their ads over here and I do hear them mentioned.  There seems to be a much better developed bike culture in England than in the US - wish we had it here.

Having watched it again, I guess I would have to disagree with him that the 6th gen looks "hideous" with the underseat exhaust.  To each their own, but I wonder if he would say the same if it had a "Ducati" name on it (as in 916 or similar) vs "Honda".  Ah well - at least he does go on that "looks are subjective . . . "  - how true. 

I can help a bit with the Dobles bit as I brought my 8th gen from them and only live about 20 miles away. I use them for servicing as well and in the 3 years I have been using them I have found them to be very good.

They are a pretty big Honda dealer with a row of about 6 converted houses on one side of the road for their new bikes showroom and another large building opposite for used and the service center. 

With reference to Cogswell and his damaged panniers I damaged a OEM topbox when I rode off without fitting it properly (I know what an idiot!) and it fell off on my 6th gen. It was in a state but I found a local car body guy who does minor repairs and localized paint spraying very reasonably and made a good job of it. If it is of any interest I can dig his details out?

15 hours ago, Cogswell said:

There seems to be a much better developed bike culture in England than in the US - wish we had it here.

Really? Here in SoCal the bike culture is strong, my friend. So much so that I've seen hundreds of riders at nightly bike shows...and not a "we're giving away a bike tonight!" bike shows. Just a regular Thursday night gathering.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, WGREGT said:

Really? Here in SoCal the bike culture is strong, my friend. So much so that I've seen hundreds of riders at nightly bike shows...and not a "we're giving away a bike tonight!" bike shows. Just a regular Thursday night gathering.

True, although SoCal is probably the exception in the U.S. And even L.A. can't support a motogp or WSBK round, compared to the U.K. with 20% of our population. And don't even mention Spain or Italy!

On the other hand, having spent the past weekend in Portland, which I believe is Cogswell's stomping ground, I believe they have been taken over by Little Green Electric Scooter culture!

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, WGREGT said:

Point well taken - maybe it's a regional thing.   I get so many reactions similar to "you do what - ride motorcycles?  Really?" that it seems sometimes like I'm one of only a handful that ride.   SoCal has far better wintertime weather than the NW that you have more opportunity through the year to ride / have shows, etc.  If it weren't for the internet, I doubt I would know anyone that rides. 

31 minutes ago, St. Stephen said:

On the other hand, having spent the past weekend in Portland, which I believe is Cogswell's stomping ground, I believe they have been taken over by Little Green Electric Scooter culture!

LOL - how true!  PDX is the home of anarchists, riots and the racks of green electrified bicycles that I suppose tourists use when they want to find the nearest head shop.  And of course you can't pump your own gas here, either.  Hence the frowny face in my avatar signature . . . !   However, it is a beautiful place and during the summer months we have loads of outstanding roads to ride right out the back door. 

• Member Contributer
On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 3:50 PM, Cogswell said:

There seems to be a much better developed bike culture in England than in the US - wish we had it here.

I would have to agree with that. I've ridden there often, and when I worked there for 8 months I bought a 3rd Gen as my only transport.  Drivers are courteous to bikers, lane splitting, or filtering as its called there, is legal and encouraged. Parking lots that charge for cars always had a designated spot for motorcycles, free of charge. When only street parking, for a fee, was available, you could park on the sidewalk if you were discreet and respectful. Additonally  when I stopped at a toll booth in Plymouth on a bridge, the collector leaned out of the booth and asked me where I was from. I got 2 words out and he said, "America",  "sir, motorcycles do not pay a toll" Then with no traffic behind me, we had a good chat. 

• Member Contributer
On 8/6/2018 at 3:50 PM, Cogswell said:

Having watched it again, I guess I would have to disagree with him that the 6th gen looks "hideous" with the underseat exhaust.  To each their own, but I wonder if he would say the same if it had a "Ducati" name on it (as in 916 or similar) vs "Honda".  Ah well - at least he does go on that "looks are subjective . . . "  - how true. 

I caught that too.  I think under seat exhausts look great--particularly on bikes with a SSSA.  Rice started a thread the other day about under tail exhausts:

The video covers theories about weight distribution and cost, and issues like heat--though I've never found that to be an issue on the 6th gen.  I just assumed the move away from under seat was a design trend on current street bikes (possibly for the reasons mentioned).  That is one of the few things I dislike about the 8th gens: Single-sided swingarm and nice wheel, obscured by the huge muffler.  Mr. Fish suggests replacement with a smaller aftermarket can, but it feels to me like there are some conflicting design/compliance values at Mother Honda. 

Archived