Clutch questions

CraigG

Replacaed my clutch yesterday, and have a question about the differences in the years.... my bike is a Wreg (2000), so i bought clutch friction discs/plates and springs for an FI-Y model thinking that was right... 

Turns out, the bike is actually an FI-X.... so it has the skinny inner friction disc with the spacer/spring, i only found this out when i had the old clutch out, oops. 

I had a look through an online Honda parts catalog, and it seems as though the basket and the outer spring plate is the same between the models, so i went ahead and assembled it with the new "wrong" parts and it seems to be working just fine, apart from the bite point being much earlier than before, but i am thinking that is just new clutch effect?

So, is there anything else different between FI-X and FI-Y clutches? or is it just the inner plate/spring configuration?  Is it alright to fit an FI-Y clutch kit to an FI-X assuming you replace everything? 

• Member Contributer

Not sure about differences, but as long as the clutch doesn't drag and engages fine I would just run with it!!

yea it does seem to be functioning fine, apart from the bite point, but then I'm getting used to that now also, it was probably just my totally worn out old clutch, seems original and the bike is on 55k! 

Archived