Air Deflector removal

DAY004

Hey Guys, new to this forum . Super happy with the 2013 VFR. Doing some mods. I bought the bike used and it had the Honda wind deflector installed. I took the screen off to see how it sounded without it. I was ok with it,seeing as I run a Scala headset and listen to music while riding. I bought and installed a PUIG smoked screen and found an interesting issue. 

When reinstalling the mirrors it seems the rearmost mounting bole has grown about 7-8mm. I can see that the side mounts for the deflector has a support that includes a spacer that goes there. I'm wondering if the longer mirror bolt is part of the deflector kit ,or was there an OEM spacer that got removed for the kit.

IMG_3500.JPG

IMG_3501.JPG

IMG_3502.JPG

I literally just went through the exact same process...mine is even a 2013!  I just went to the store and picked up shorter bolts.  I have an issue with the Puig changing the fit of the nose of the front cowl.  Because it's attached to the screen, it's getting flexed slightly when the windscreen is tightened down.  I can snap it in above the headlight, but if I push down on the outer edges, it pops back up.  I could pull it back off, and loosen the screws holding it to the screen,  but I decided to order the Powerbronze screen that's basically the same shape as the Puig.  I think I like the look of the Powerbronze one better anyway.   They ship from the UK, so I don't have it yet. 

DAY004 your mirrors seem to have a spacer that my ‘12 didn’t have.  I installed a spacer that moved the mirrors up and out, that while don’t look the best really improved the rear vision.  My kit came with longer bolts that extend as you can see.  All else is stock.

0B82E618-4659-4919-A090-74E447303927.jpeg

• Member Contributer

The Honda OEM windscreen deflector kit comes with a replacement bolt and spacer for the rear mirror mount bolt.  This bolt is longer then the original OEM bolt.  If you remove the OEM windscreen deflector you will need to replace the longer bolt from the kit with a shorter bolt like the original, or use the longer bolt and the spacer.  The latter won't look as clean obviously.  Here's a link to the OEM kit.  The installation instructions describe it all.  The longer bolt in question is item 12.

http://powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08R80-MGE-100.pdf

Thanks Guys. I knew something like this is what was at hand. My solution of just using a nut spun down to act as a spacer is working fine.

And yes DriverDave I agree with your assessment of the PUIG windscreen. The slightly off fitment doesn't  seem to effect anything other than the esthetics of the front panel.

Just a bit raised at the edges of the shield. Have to ding the aftermarket for laziness. But the tinted screen looks nice.

I actually changed it because the area on the back of the OEM shield was dirty and I couldn't get a rag to it. I figured ,if I have to remove it to clean it I might as well bling it out.

Archived