Running Temperature

smurfbud

Just a quickie fellas,

Whilst I was away in the Belgian Ardennes last week my riding mates said they could smell coolant (A/F) every time we stopped. We all had a good look over the bike but couldn't see any leakage on or under the bike. Anyhow, on the last day home I got a bit paranoid about it and instead of having the ambient temp displayed I toggled over to bike temp. Well, the paranoia increased 10x when I kept seeing the temp up in the low hundreds region even though the ambient was high 20's to 30. The bike temp dropped back to mid 80's when I was motoring along but didn't take much slowing down to get back into the 100's and have the fan blaring away.

When we got back to UK and ambient temp was 18 degrees I thought the bike temp would drop back down to 80 ish but it was right back up there in the 100's again during slow riding.

I took the opportunity to test ride another 2009 Vtec on Wednesday (to compare it with my hesitant revving issue) and this bike also had 106 on the gauge during town riding. I checked the owners manual when I got home and it says that the high temp warning light comes on at 122 degrees ..... that's running bloody hot compared to other bikes I have or had.

So, silicon hoses will help (got them on but need to check connections for leakage), installing a manual fan switch or lowering the auto-on switch will help and I guess using this latest water-less coolant may also help. Am I missing anything else?

Is this normal running for a Viffer? Is there anything else I can do to help reduce the temps ? Or do I just live with it as Mr Honda intended?

Thanks

• Member Contributer

Hi smurfbud.

If your smelling coolant you more than likely have a leak that needs attention, it might be as simple as a faulty radiator cap might need replacing, keep your eye on your reservoir tank level. Guess there is always a possibly your thermostat is faulty however riding the other 2009 performed the same as yours.

Can assure these bikes run hot. The side radiators are not very efficient at dissipating heat without good constant speed, even in cold ambient temps stop/start riding will soon bring on the cooling fan, so good cooling system maintenance is vital on these bikes, make sure you have no air locks in the system, proper burping of the system is important.

As for the water-less coolant I've never tried it or heard of its performance in a VFR, have only ever used Honda type 2 premixed coolant, it's Silicate and Borate free.

I know some riders have installed a manual o/ride switch for the fan, fairly easy mod.

Cheers :beer:

The coolant reservoir appears to be stable above the lower level so I know the system has coolant - as for the "burping" of the system, maybe I need to give that a try, as I didn't do anything other than fill the system real slow and squeeze all the hoses to remove air bubbles when I filled the system.

I'll do a thermostat check and have a peek at the rad cap too .... 

Thanks again for the confirmation that these little darlings run hot .... 

The thermostat only fully opens somewhere around 200*F or 90*C... it runs hot and it’s a major downside of the VFR. Considering it’s a touring bike 😭. It should be cool as f. Wish I could’ve test rode one on a big trip before I bought it. 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Urbanengineer said:

The thermostat only fully opens somewhere around 200*F or 90*C... it runs hot and it’s a major downside of the VFR. Considering it’s a touring bike 😭. It should be cool as f. Wish I could’ve test rode one on a big trip before I bought it. 

Maybe given that it’s a ‘touring’ (or ‘sport touring’) (i.e. moving fast over long distances) versus a ‘commuter’ (i.e. starting and stopping) is why it seems to give people the heebie jeebies with it’s running temperature and seemingly late triggering fan. If it’s running within Honda’s designed temperature operating range then it’s fine.  

• Member Contributer

Although this is a sixth gen thread, I'd like to comment on how I have handled my engine heat. (I often refer to my riding a VFR with my Transit Suit as "sitting in a sauna riding on top of an oven). When I shut off my engine with the temps over 220F, I turn the ignition back on w/o starting. This allows the fan to run, for a few seconds, maybe a minute or two. Then I restart the machine to allow the cooler coolant to enter the engine and quickly reduces the engine temp to fall to the low 200'sF. When I then shut it off, I have the psychological peace of mind that I've reduced the heat soaking of the engine. Thus I sleep better at night. :tour::tongue:(YMMV) 

• Member Contributer

Just do what we did with our FZR400’s, in higher heat run with the lower fairings off. Problem solved. 

Od do like the F1 guys and get one of those little battery powered leaf blowers for when you shut ‘er down Mike. 

Archived