Slightly Hesitant on Acceleration

smurfbud

Update on the revving issue ........ the throttle bodies were well seated however the clamp screws could have been tighter ... but after speaking to my local bike shop mechanics, they said that the bike wouldn't be able to idle if there was air getting into the system ...... and suggested I check the coilpacks ....... 

I will be bolting it all back up ... replacing the plugs and seeing if that makes any difference ... watch this space ..........

Oh, and I bought a secondhand standard exhaust this week which I intend to gut as per minute 1.20 on this video........... think I will use a hacksaw to cut the ends off though and keep the end caps original

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, smurfbud said:

Update on the revving issue ........ the throttle bodies were well seated however the clamp screws could have been tighter ... but after speaking to my local bike shop mechanics, they said that the bike wouldn't be able to idle if there was air getting into the system ...... and suggested I check the coilpacks ....... 

I will be bolting it all back up ... replacing the plugs and seeing if that makes any difference ... watch this space ..........

Oh, and I bought a secondhand standard exhaust this week which I intend to gut as per minute 1.20 on this video........... think I will use a hacksaw to cut the ends off though and keep the end caps original

Hi Smurfbud.

Absolutely do Not do it like above, frankly IOM that looks crap! Cut the end caps off around the existing wield, gut the canisters then at the back of the end caps you've cut off, grind away and remove the inner baffle pipes that protrude into the outer pipe, you'll understand what I mean once you've cut the end caps off, you just want to remove that last bit of baffle pipe going into the end caps. Get the end caps nicely re wielded refit the heat shield and you done. They will sound Fantastic and looked beautifully stock standard. I've done this twice and it's well worth the effort. :wheel:

Cheers :beer:

Always good to hear from someone who has done it already Grum ..... I will definitely be retaining the original look and not cutting the end caps to look like those in the video .... hideous but each to their own ..... thanks for the comments

Apparently the coil packs typically start to fail once they get warm, so if the problem isnt there at start up and then "appears" it is likely to be them.

New plugs in today. Throttle bodies back on and inlet rubber clamps tightened up snug.

As an aside, for anyone thinking about fitting new coolant hoses, a top tip is to tighten the hose clamps with a socket rather than a screwdriver - I was surprised how much more the clamps could be tightened using a socket ...... 

Well guys, I put the Viffer back together (completely stock) and took her out for a quick test ride last night.

I am pleased to report that all appears to be ok with the bike again with new plugs in. Proved to be something pretty simple after all.

The bike was running at 82 degrees C pretty much for the entire ride (ambient was only 16) which tends to indicate all is well with the coilpacks (ie not breaking down once warm) but as it was only a short run (15 miles or so) I will take her out for a decent blast later this week to make certain it was just the plugs.

Thanks for all your input fellas - great knowledge base .....

• Member Contributer
29 minutes ago, smurfbud said:

Well guys, I put the Viffer back together (completely stock) and took her out for a quick test ride last night.

I am pleased to report that all appears to be ok with the bike again with new plugs in. Proved to be something pretty simple after all.

The bike was running at 82 degrees C pretty much for the entire ride (ambient was only 16) which tends to indicate all is well with the coilpacks (ie not breaking down once warm) but as it was only a short run (15 miles or so) I will take her out for a decent blast later this week to make certain it was just the plugs.

Thanks for all your input fellas - great knowledge base .....

Hi Smufbud.

Thats great news your Viffer is behaving itself again. I'm surprised that new plugs fixed it when they had been recently replaced! Are you sure the plugs removed were the right type and temperature range? Just wondering! :comp13:

Enjoy your ride.

Cheers. :beer:

1 hour ago, Grum said:

Hi Smufbud.

Thats great news your Viffer is behaving itself again. I'm surprised that new plugs fixed it when they had been recently replaced! Are you sure the plugs removed were the right type and temperature range? Just wondering! :comp13:

Enjoy your ride.

Cheers. :beer:

Hi Grum,

Yes mate they were the correct plugs ..... strange I know but just goes to show you can never overlook the obvious ...... onwards and upwards ...... 

Exhaust to mod and PCV + O2 eliminators to fit ....... new thread required ...... 

Archived