Best AVAILABLE tires for 3rd gen

steve93

I have a MIchelin Road 2 on the front of my 93, and wanted a Road 4 for the back but they don't have my size!  (170/60ZR17)  Not in Road 3 either!   Any suggestions for an alternative?  I ride mostly highway, but still want confidence in the corners too!!

• Member Contributer

The 3rd gen 8 spoke wheel is routinely run by owners of later gens using a 180 tire (including me).  If it were mine, I'd run a 180 on it and be done with it. 

• Member Contributer

Most tire manf's will have a list somewhere on their website listing minimum and maximum rim widths. If you have the original 8 spoke rim, your rim is 5.5", which should be fine for many 180 tires.

My third Gen I had while working in the UK came with a brand new Conti Motion 180 on it. Not a tire I would buy normally, but it was OK for what I was doing, riding weekends during the Fall, Winter and Spring. I put 6K miles on it, but the conditions of cold, wet, occasional snow and grit on the road meant I never really tested it limits outside of a few weekends in Wales.

My 4th Gen has the rear rim off my UK bike, long story there. I run Bridgestone S21 Evos, 180 rear, 120 front. 3 compound rear, dual compound front, the centerline is harder for highway riding, the edges sticky for the corners. Great feedback, neutral handling, I doubt I can ever out ride these tires. Not the longest lasting tire out there for sure, but that's not what I'm looking for.

But tires are a subjective topic. Michelin, Dunlop, Pirelli, all make good rubber, I've used them all plus a few others over the years depending on the bike and application.

As Cogswell noted, there is a lot of people out there riding with 180's on their 3rd gen rims with out issues. The bonus is, as you might suspect as the selection of 170's is slim, is that you have a much greater selection of rubber.

• Member Contributer
On 8/1/2018 at 11:51 AM, steve93 said:

they don't have my size!  (170/60ZR17) 

As the other guys said, just get a 180/55 rear tire. Your 8-spoke rear wheel is the same width as all VFR800s, and their standard tire size is 180/55. 

Fwiw, I've an 8-spoke on my '09 VTec and had zero troubles with a 180/55 in more than 70,000 km. Nor on my '92 VFR750 in 50,000 km. (all Michelin Pilot Power or Pilot Sport, btw)

Archived