Please Harley, don't make these with a belt drive..

All really cool ideas (before the bean counters screw them up) That Adventure bike will now have to compete with the rumoured Guzzi V85 for my dollars if/when either show up.

th.jpg

Lets hope this means HD is finally getting with it.  I work inside the number 1 HD dealership in the USA, and I will keep my eyes and ears peeled for any info.  I do know that we are getting at least one electric bike soon, and I heard it is EXPENSIVE !

Any word on range for the livewire? I was lucky to have ridden it when they were doing the initial feedback tour. At that time they were looking at 125-150 mile range. I'm hoping that number went up significantly, especially if they want big $$

That guzzi looks good! I'm thinking it'll be a better bet than the pan america since guzzi knows how to make a decent shaft final drive. 

• Member Contributer

Oh! You thought that the all American mantra called capitalism cares WHERE the ROI optimision comes from? Tsk tsk tsk.. :-)

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Rollos said:

That guzzi looks good! I'm thinking it'll be a better bet than the pan america since guzzi knows how to make a decent shaft final drive. 

They better do so now, I had to replace the universal joint in my LeMans 1000's shaft drive. Twice...

6 hours ago, Stray said:

Is it true HD will be moving production overseas? 

HD planned to move production of certain models overseas about 3 years ago. The actual move coincided with news reports about tarrifs and a few articles and some people ran with that. I am told that all US market models are, and always will be made in the USA.

My Ford was made in Mexico and my Kawasaki was made in Lincoln Nebraska, so this type of thing isnt new.

• Member Contributer

I don't know if this play is going to work, but HD has to do something.  They basically just sell one type of bike in about 20 variations, but they are all still "cruisers".  I'm interested to see how the "streetfighter" will do, considering the bikes it is supposed to compete against "...the likes of the Aprilia Tuono, Ducati Monster and BMW S1000R" carry a massive advantage in prestige and refinement in the sector.  HD better be prepared to sell at bargain basement to get a toehold, because nobody considering one of those 3 bikes is going to pay a premium just to have H-D on the tank.

8 hours ago, Stray said:

Is it true HD will be moving production overseas? 

Half or more of the parts they assemble in the USA are already made overseas. They don't even make frames here. 

Second, the biggest portion of their new product is destined for India and China so it makes better business sense to have that operation overseas. They are expanding (not creating new) Thai operations to supply China. Batteries are made overseas, electric components overseas, frames overseas, tires overseas, suspension overseas... The only thing put into the production of those bikes that came from the US is the dollars they made off the fools buying the brand new cruisers and t shirts. 

31 minutes ago, MadScientist said:

HD better be prepared to sell at bargain basement to get a toehold, because nobody considering one of those 3 bikes is going to pay a premium just to have H-D on the tank.

That was sarcasm, right? 

I'm happy to see them possibly taking a step forward - I say possibly because there are no spec sheets for weight and performance yet - but I have no illusions of them suddenly offering a better value. They are banking on the name carrying them through, as they have for decades.

• Member Contributer

All these "adventure" bikes just make me shake my head. Look at that massive Moto Guzzi, in all honesty how do they

expect a person to pick that thing up? Factor in uneven footing, loaded weight, and you have a bike that will take a crane

to get back upright. Or do they just assume that you'll never fall over?

As far as component strength, I watched a buddy crash his "adventure" BMW and the frame mounts for both saddlebags

broke off. Now that's reliability. Oh, and this was on a paved road.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, timmythecop said:

Looks like at least the prototype is a chain:

pan am 2.png

Where the hell is the chain coming from in this "photo"? 

• Member Contributer
34 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

Where the hell is the chain coming from in this "photo"? 

Some of these new H-D photos look to show styling prototypes rather than runners. The streetfighter image I saw yesterday showed a belt drive sprocket that appeared to have a section of belt wrapped fully around it, but not heading to/from the driving sprocket. 

2020-Harley-Davidson-Streetfighter-conce

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, timmythecop said:

Looks like at least the prototype is a chain:

pan am1.png

pan am 2.png

pan am 3.png

Cool, can hardly wait for the trike version to let me know HD is serious about producing this and not abandoning their core customer. 

kidding aside, I am interested IF they are able to compete with other marques in tech and performance.

Archived